Quantcast

Norcal

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
I'm going to be in the Bay area 20 Aug - 7 Sept and would really appreciate some trail recommendations, particularly long steep uberrockiness with any kind of uphill access - shuttle, walking, carrying, riding. Still don't know which bike I'm bringing. I'll probably have a car with a rack available for day trips during the week. I'll be based in Koreatown Santa Clara.

Cheers,
S

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
bushwacker said:
dfinn, where do you live? I live in Rohnert Park.
I lived in Sebastopol for last summer. I moved up to tahoe at the beginning of this past winter though.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
ride23 said:
Stop by the shop for directions. I can cruise up there with you after work hours.

http://www.gearheadbicycles.com

Phil
So I went by Gearhead Monday and you guys are closed for 5 days so I went up and found The Crack and related trails. After all the hype about it, I didn't realize it was only 200m long! Very nice 200m but, jeez...anything else on that level around the Bay Area? I'm here through Labor Day. Anyway, the smooth bermed trail with a few small doubles through eucalyptus forest down to the road was also very cool. But I'm looking for more crackery gnarl. Any leads?

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Stiff said:
So I went by Gearhead Monday and you guys are closed for 5 days so I went up and found The Crack and related trails. After all the hype about it, I didn't realize it was only 200m long! Very nice 200m but, jeez...anything else on that level around the Bay Area? I'm here through Labor Day. Anyway, the smooth bermed trail with a few small doubles through eucalyptus forest down to the road was also very cool. But I'm looking for more crackery gnarl. Any leads?
If you're going to be around until Labor day and you want a place where you can ride downhill all day over and over again, you should just make the 3 1/2 hour drive up to Northstar at Tahoe. $33 will get you an all day lift ticket. If I were you I'd get up there sooner than later, the closer you get to Labor Day the more crowded the Tahoe area and the highways leading up to it will be. And if you stay up there the cost of lodging will go up ALOT over holidays.

http://www.skinorthstar.com/summer/mtn-biking.html

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
MVRIDER said:
If you're going to be around until Labor day and you want a place where you can ride downhill all day over and over again, you should just make the 3 1/2 hour drive up to Northstar at Tahoe. $33 will get you an all day lift ticket. If I were you I'd get up there sooner than later, the closer you get to Labor Day the more crowded the Tahoe area and the highways leading up to it will be. And if you stay up there the cost of lodging will go up ALOT over holidays.

http://www.skinorthstar.com/summer/mtn-biking.html
What s Lake Tahoe area like after LaborDay? I've got my cousin's wedding the weekend after and I was thinking about driving so i could catch some riding...

goin' medium

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
Newark, CA
You may want to look into Downieville too. Not super gnarlee, but definately longer than 500m. It's a shuttle trail thats over 10 miles of DH singletrack. Plenty of shuttles for hire in town. Vaugely near Northstar if you wind up staying out that way.

Good luck.

Scott

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
Slugman said:
What s Lake Tahoe area like after LaborDay? I've got my cousin's wedding the weekend after and I was thinking about driving so i could catch some riding...
there's racing at N* on the 11-12th and then again on the 19th. That may affect your decision if you were looking to do DH.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
Slugman said:
The times I've been up there after Labor day, it's been alot quieter. If I had the pick between Labor Day weekend and the weekend after, I'd go definitly go with the weekend after. There's still plenty to do, but I'd call and check around with where ever you're going to go, alot of places change their days and hours of operation. Northstar's open until Oct. 10th, just Fri-Sun after Labor day though.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Cheers for all the helpful advice.

I'm not sure I'll be able to get very far out of the immediate Bay Area since I'm actually here working and have gf obligations. But we might head out Tahoe way Labor Day w/e. Maybe.

I did ride Downieville back in 99 or 2000, as well as some lesser known Tahoe trails, but have yet to visit N*. Downieville was long and fun on the XC bike but I'm heavy laden with a bigger bike now.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Stiff said:
Cheers for all the helpful advice.

I'm not sure I'll be able to get very far out of the immediate Bay Area since I'm actually here working and have gf obligations. But we might head out Tahoe way Labor Day w/e. Maybe.

I did ride Downieville back in 99 or 2000, as well as some lesser known Tahoe trails, but have yet to visit N*. Downieville was long and fun on the XC bike but I'm heavy laden with a bigger bike now.
You should go to N* F the gf obligations, you only time you should have chick obligations is when you're married. :D :D :D ;)

marcm

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
Elk Grove (sacramento)
Whats Up Brian long time no talk... just want to see if anyone will be up at the N* on friday the 3rd i have been riding to much skate park i need some dirt

late..

Marc Melin
SpinCity