Quantcast

Normal to be sore?

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
Hi:

I'm a newbie with a Rockhopper. Haven't ridden in years. I just wanted some assurance that feeling sore is okay, and that I'll work through it. It'll take a while, but it will go away, right? (At least as far as theory goes?)

I'm finding I have a very rough time on hills, even when I drop the gear so that the pedalling is easier.

Part of the problem is that at 270 pounds, I'm just not that used to exercise in the first place.

Needless to say, I'm going to keep pushing. I'm going to get a cycle computer so that I can push myself each ride to go just a little farther - I'm determined to push past!!

I can't wait to see the weight start dropping... that should help my endurance too, no?

Thanks,
James

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you haven't been riding you will be sore. The soreness will go away. Just keep working at it and most importantly have fun.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
After locking my bike up, I went past the front desk and the receptionist, who knows I ride 7 days a week, said I look tired. I replied, "Yeah, I exercise too much".

I might not feel great every day, but the days I am resting, I feel a lot better than when I don't ride for months...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
yes, you'll be sore.

ADVICE: Don't ride for exercise as you'll get frustrated and burned out... ride for fun. :)

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Skip the computer idea. Makes it too much like a job (I HAVE to go farther/faster - or what?) Find a trail that you like -good scenery and all that. Then just explore the area more and more.

You will definitely be sore. It will go away, just ride more.

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
I didn't think I was going to ride today, but I took the bike out after all - I went a little bit farther than I did yesterday, so I felt good about it. I didn't feel "under the gun" or as though it was a responsibility, I just wanted to push myself a bit =)

Looking forward to getting more experienced - one of the bike clubs in my area has a couple of "beginner" 11-15 mile rides, but mostly 40'ish mile rides - YIKES!! =)

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
LordOpie said:
yes, you'll be sore.

ADVICE: Don't ride for exercise as you'll get frustrated and burned out... ride for fun. :)
Excellent advice. The only reason I can keep up with biking is because I love the sport; the exercise is a benefit.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey man welcome to the monkey!

Being sore before or during the ride? Many people get a lactic acid burn before they get the motor running. A good way to avoid it is to ride very easy to warm up, take a minute and stretch. The benefits of riding alot is to start really understanding how your body works, with time you'll see awesome results. The key is to keep going. To get your cardio vascular system running good try riding one hard ride and one easy spin a week.

The challenge for us big guys to make it up the hills is tough, i know i weigh 240+. But our benefit is we got more wieght to speed on the downhills.:)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Also i just want to add, it's not normal to be sore after years of riding. Even after a month or 2 lay off, if i jump back on a bike i don't feel bad. Years of conditioning pays off!

Also be careful not to ignore certain pains. You want to avoid pain in the knee's and wrists, elbows etc. from bad riding form. Maybe you have your seat to low and are putting too much stress on your knee's. Other than that push thru the soreness, don't be afraid for a high cadence spin in granny gear! Since you're a big guy you already have power, you can use that middle ring gear any ole time you want to push for some big ring power, learn to spin in the granny. If you get your cardio working good with perserverance you can spin for hours and hours and do some long worthy rides.....

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
I rode three miles today - that makes six miles in the three days I've had the bike - not bad! I get sore mainly on the rides. I've been very stationary for years and years - never really had any conditioning to pay off.

The only thing I'm concerned about now is overdoing it. I'm riding for fun as has been suggested, and I have a blast when I get out there and just ride. I've been pushing myself to go to just that next mailbox, or that next driveway, or c'mon big fella, you can make it to the top of this hill! There are still some hills around my house that I can't tackle yet, but I'm working on them. I do hit the granny gear often as I'm trying to get up those fellas, but I'm kind of wondering if it's not better for me to keep it in a semi-powerful gear and just come up off the saddle and brute-force my way up the hill.

After the ride, my thighs are sore - not hurty, but sore, the kind of sore I associate with "you've done good". I was mainly asking the question above as the local bike clubs seem to have their beginner rides pegged at 10-15 *miles* - and I'm riding three and feeling like I've done incredible!

Still... I've got to say - I'm having a blast. I'm gonna wipe down the bike tonight becuase it's earned it!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jamester said:
There are still some hills around my house that I can't tackle yet, but I'm working on them. I do hit the granny gear often as I'm trying to get up those fella...
Some people don't know what hills are, but you do. I lived in Chapel Hill some years back and that whole area is hill with some really steep stuff. You've got some beautiful areas to ride in... well, not Durham ;)

As for how to ride the hills, every realistic way to ride them is a tool in your future cycling aresenal that you should and will eventually develop. Basically, you'll ride them in different ways and they're all good. Mix it up for fun :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Nice!

Yah it pays to "interval". That means standing up and hammering in a big gear, then transitioning back to the granny. A great way of tackling that hill is to attack it in the beginning by standing and hammering, then before you blow your wad sit back down while you still have momentum, downshift down while still spinning. On down to the granny gear where you can lightly spin to the top.

Important tips is to not get your heart rate way too high. You don't want to give yourself a heart attack literally haha. Plus your body will have more gas for a longer ride.

Before cranking down with alot of power, breath a few deep breaths to get the oxygen flowing, try to control your breathing by taking long deep breaths, then eventually you'll probably fall into a normal toungue hanging out of mouth breathing pattern before the top of the hill.

i think my comments of you trying to spin more in the saddle is just that. Don't let is stop you of getting out of the saddle. You'll find though that most of the time you are in a "seated spin" and if you can get that dialed the skies the limit. High cadence spin get's your heart rate down, your breathing normal, and your muscles don't overwork(save the power for when you need it, rocky trail, top of a hill etc).... After time you can go for more distance....

Also don't be afraid to give your body a rest once in a while. Maybe you decide to challenge yourself for a long ride, give yourself a day off. Eat alot of carbs and hydrate alot the day before, and in the morning before the ride eat some bananas and light food like oatmeal and such, and hydrate well during the ride.

Awesome to hear you're diggin the ride.:)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Awesome to hear that you are having so much fun riding and getting out there often! Hills are something that you may come to love. I personally hated them when I started riding, but got better over time. Definitely follow intervals like Skooks said. Also, breating is REALLY important. Try to make sure you are taking full breaths and exhaling completely rather than short quick breaths that eat up a lot of energy.
One day you'll feel the elation of making the entire hill (and if you are sick and diseased like some of us, you'll ride down and do it again) ;)

Mackinsaw

Chimp
Apr 25, 2006
thunder bay, ON
when i first started riding this year the sorest part on my body was my goonch (the spot behind the ballsack) but it went away, same with the sore legs. i ride hard now for about 2 hours a day atleast. and i feel great. hope you do well and DO NOT skip days of riding because then you say to yourself "o if i skip today it wont matter, i'll do double tomorrow" and stuff but it just never works. hope you stay regular and ride hard, but have a great time, and find some good trails to ride so its more enjoyable, and your doing it for fun.

splat

Nam I am
jamester said:
Still... I've got to say - I'm having a blast. I'm gonna wipe down the bike tonight becuase it's earned it!
You are starting off on a good note! Having fun! that is the most important aspect. don't worry about Speed , stamina , distance, etc that will all come with time.

and pushing too big of a gear too early ( before you've built up to it ) is what can hurt your knees , and that is one of the biggest mistakes you see newbies doing is running too big of a gear .spinning is good . that said on hills getting out of the saddle and Pedaling ( intervals as Skooks said ) will really burn those thighs, but you won't be able to do it for long. You might even learn to love that pain in a sick sort of way.

are you riding on the road or trails ? not that is matters much other than technique is slightly Different.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I've found that newbies tend to not shift at all, or not nearly as much as they should be. Learn to spin a decent pedal cadence and adjust the gears to suit your cadence. Read Ned Overend's book and also Brian Lopes's book. Lots of good information in those books.

jamester

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
Durham, NC
I ride primarily street right now, as I ride to and from work (from the parking lot to work - I can make it between a mile and two miles). It's not a LOT of ride, but it's a good 10 minutes each way, and then after work I'll putter around the streets for a bit before I hit my car.

I definitely shift a lot - and on the uphills I'm happy that my shifters allow me to go down quicker than one gear at a time!

Sadly, for the last couple of days it's been rain rain rain. I don't do rain yet - I will once I get fenders. I miss my bike now, lol

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Actually, it might be your nice padded gloves with gel in them that are causing the pain.

I find that grips that are too big for me or gloves that are too thick cause my hands a lot of pain. I ride with ODI Ruffians, now, one of the thinnest grips you can get, and a set of Fox Sidewinders, and have no more hand pain. This will depend on how big your hands are - I have fairly average sized hands.

The other thing is that sometimes when you're inexperienced - and I still do it a lot - you tense up on the bike, which causes you to grip harder and makes everything sore, but especially your hands. Make a conscious effort to ride loose and relaxed on dirt - you want to flow WITH the bike, not be jarred every time it goes over a rock. Relax your grip, relax your legs, and flow with it.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
binary visions said:
The other thing is that sometimes when you're inexperienced - and I still do it a lot - you tense up on the bike, which causes you to grip harder and makes everything sore, but especially your hands. Make a conscious effort to ride loose and relaxed on dirt - you want to flow WITH the bike, not be jarred every time it goes over a rock. Relax your grip, relax your legs, and flow with it.

also i have found that if i tense up more on rough or tech trails then i tend to crash more, that was motivation enough to relax on the bike.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BrandonMiller said:
my hands get numb on long rides - any tips? I have nice padded gloves with the gel in them but still..
Bar ends. So many people think they suck but they are great for ergonomic purposes. Relieving you hands by repositioning your grip on the handlebar is crucial especially for long extended climbs.

Also you may have a problem with where your hands are positioned. Are you handlebars cut too short where you're riding in an ackward position? Your arms should be straight out in front of you, so if you have broad shoulders the wider your bars should stay.

And finally where are your brake levers and shifters set up? Are they in a position where your hands are having to reach in a non-uniform grip in order to use them? You want the top of your hands to be level with your arms when using the brake, if they are too far up/down you're putting added stress on your joints, muscles etc...

Some good tips with the grips and riding "light". Pay attention to your tendencies and maybe one of these suggestions is the key. However i had a pal who has Carpal Tunnel and he had difficulty with that, so if all else fails, you may want to get it checked out....

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
BrandonMiller said:
my hands get numb on long rides - any tips? I have nice padded gloves with the gel in them but still..
That can occur when you have a "death grip" on the bars. Loosen up... lighten your grip, the bike will still respond. See if that makes the difference.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
jamester said:
I rode three miles today - that makes six miles in the three days I've had the bike - not bad! I get sore mainly on the rides. I've been very stationary for years and years - never really had any conditioning to pay off.

After the ride, my thighs are sore - not hurty, but sore, the kind of sore I associate with "you've done good". I was mainly asking the question above as the local bike clubs seem to have their beginner rides pegged at 10-15 *miles* - and I'm riding three and feeling like I've done incredible!
Good job man! I've been riding for almost four years now, started when I was 46. To think of all those years I wasted on a motorcycle when I could have been mountain biking.

When I started riding I experienced the same thing you did. I too had a Rockhopper. There was a lot of soreness but no pain, no gain...Things began to come together very quickly. I could feel the progress and every ride got easier. I had a very good and patient friend that got me started riding. He walked when I had to walk and waited when I was tired. That made a big difference.

In no time I had dropped 50 pounds and almost every ride I was conquering a climb or section I was unable to negotiate before. It's a fantastic feeling of accomplishment.

So hang in there, welcome to the rush. Count on meeting some great new friends along the way too.