Quantcast

Northeast MTB Tour August 17th-September 10th

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
**Latest Itinerary** (Trail names and local riders)
-August 17th Arrival at Night
-August 18th Allaire, NJ and Rest (Misc NJ Riders)
-August 19th Visit NYC
-August 20th Blue Mountain, NY 12:30pm (jrfor0)
-August 21th Trumbull, CT 9am and drive to Case Mtn Area (About2bike possibly MBC, IAB)
-August 22st Case Mtn Riding 1pm and Drive to Boston Area (MBC, IAB)
-August 23rd Rest in Boston
-August 24th Vietnam Trails, MA 10am (Splat)
-August 25th Hampshire College, Amherst Ma Trails 9am (Suspectdevice, jrfor0?)
-August 26 Millbury Trails, MA Riding 10am (Berkshire Rider)
-August 27th Day off in VT
-August 28 Stowe Trails (JR)
-August 29 Waterbury or Hinesburg (JBP, JR, and/or TW)
-August 30th Adirondacks, NY Riding (johnnyru, McGRP01)
-August 31st Day off in Ithaca, NY
-September 1st Ithaca, NY Area Shindagin (Misc. CNY Riders)
-September 2nd Ithaca, NY Area Dryer (Barry)
-September 3rd Day off in Elmira/Corning, NY Area
-September 4th Fell Mountain, PA and Drive Home
-September 5th Sourlands and Chimney Rock
-September 6th Day off at shore
-September 7th Ramapo/Ringwood, NJ (Misc NJ Riders)
-September 8th NYC and Packing (Misc NJ Riders)
-September 9th Huber/Hartshorne, NJ and Start Packing
-September 10th Departure in the Morning

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
That looks like one heck of an awesome trip....ill keep my eyes out for when your local and try to hook up with ya...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Damn Pete missed his flight from San Francisco to Newark and is waiting on his delayed flight from O'hare to Newark. I think he's only been in an Airport once or twice in his life. Newb:(

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
If your ride itinerary is still as listed, what time do you think to be hitting Trumbull tomorrow (assuming you're still on track schedule wise)? I don't know it super well, (just moved to CT a couple weeks ago, been there twice) but live fairly close...

Trumbull stokeage:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If your ride itinerary is still as listed, what time do you think to be hitting Trumbull tomorrow (assuming you're still on track schedule wise)? I don't know it super well, (just moved to CT a couple weeks ago, been there twice) but live fairly close...
We talked to John and were thinking 9am - is that OK with you?

We might be flexible if necessary. It would be cool if you could come along. Send me (or John above) a PM with your email address and/or phone number

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
We talked to John and were thinking 9am - is that OK with you?

We might be flexible if necessary. It would be cool if you could come along. Send me (or John above) a PM with your email address and/or phone number
heh. once i woke up and saw grey, drizzly rainy crap, i bagged the idea of riding this morning. was even thinking of going to check out sprain ridge over in new york.

maybe hit trumbull up later, if things stop raining.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Coordinate with johnnyru, but the later in the day the better for me. I'm not sure yet if I can get the whole day off from work.
How about late morning? Or if need be is 1pm good for you and Ru? I'll call him in a few days, but you could try sending him a PM on Cycle-CNY or the SMBA forums. We are flexible - a long and/or later ride is fine with us especially since the next day is our day off in Ithaca.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
SO Josh , with Narlus Out , it is just me Leading ?

Lets meet at my House , I'll PM you directions
Sounds good - I'll probably give you a call soon or maybe this evening to ask about where I should stay the night before. The day before the ride is our day off in Boston.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
James - great riding with you yesterday. You rip on your SS. Hopefully you can make one of the MA and/or other rides.

Awesome rainy ride today John - thanks for showing around and having us over afterwards. It was great time. Hopefully you can make one of the rides at the end - maybe the Ramapo ride since its on a Saturday.

Scrublover - you are welcome to join us on any of the other rides if you are free. We ride Case Mtn tomorrow 1PM or perhaps some other ride along the way...

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
How about late morning? Or if need be is 1pm good for you and Ru? I'll call him in a few days, but you could try sending him a PM on Cycle-CNY or the SMBA forums. We are flexible - a long and/or later ride is fine with us especially since the next day is our day off in Ithaca.
I have off the entire day so if later in the day will work for you two and Tigg then lets do that. What I plan on doing is trail maintenance in the morning then meet you all to ride. Afterwards we can go grab a bite.

There are a bunch of hotels/motels on route 7 in Latham which is where I work. It's not too far from Saratoga, maybe 35 minutes. I can call a few to get you some rates if you are interested.

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
On my drive home I realized that there are several hotels on Wolf Road which is also just off the Northway (I-87), you might want to check out those as well.

I am looking forward to the ride.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Thanks again for the ride today MBC and IAB - we had fun. Pete is currently nursing his shoulder (I think it was from a prior ride) but hopefully its nothing and we do have our day off tomorrow for recovery. Thanks for taking photos - I've only been weight testing my camera on most rides :D

Case Mountain Ride Report and photos

See you on Friday splat!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I still cant believe you are spending 2 weeks in the northeast and are missing the best place we have to ride at.
So where is that then? My favorite trails are Fell/Merli and Prompton Dam near Carbondale, PA. Right now we are coming into a section of spots where I haven't ridden like Case Mtn or any MA trail and later ADKs and Dryer Road.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I've been to the Kingdom Trails before and they were pretty nice but I prefer riding Stowe and Waterbury with my local friends there.

edit: JBP will be riding Waterbury with us on the 29th if you can make it there. Afterwards we might swim in Bolton and then we're off to ADK area.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Sounds good to me 12:30 or 1 - Johnnyru?

I think we might help him a bit with trail maintenance in the morning.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'm all in Steve's hands for that section of ride, sorry you couldn't make it :(

Here is Peter after his first ride in the US on Saturday at Allaire State Park (central NJ). It was the best option due to all the rain we got the day before:

Last night we stayed in the Charles River Marriott in Newton due the location. It was expensive but it had a decent restaurant on site and it had a free shuttle to the T.

The Boston Beer Co. (Samuel Adams) Brewery Tour today was awesome. They go over the whole process let you taste and/or smell the main ingredients (3 kinds of malt, 2-row hops, but not the yeast). Most importantly they let you drink 3 kinds of beer on the tour and if you are lucky (we were) you can drink the two beta flavors of beer that will go into production. They give you a free tasting glass and I think we drank at least 30 oz. of free beer. Pete won the contest of person from furthest away on the Tour (Cypress, Greece was no. 2 and England 3rd). The tour is free with a recommended donation to charity at the entrance of $2 a person.

We had Boston Lager, Summer Wheat Ale, and Fezzywig.

Afterwards we had the voting beers - Dunkelweizen and an Irish Red. Pete and I both voted for the Dunkelweizen. The red was decent but I didn't like the aftertaste that much and the Dunkelweizen seemed more like a beer drinker's beer.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Steve and crew - thanks again for showing us the trails and decent food (Post Office vs. Piccadilly, heh). We had a great time yesterday. It was good to see Dave again. Hope John is feeling better and wish he could have made it. I finally removed my camera from my camelbak after some reminders, but I need to work on using it more often and at better features. Here are a few random shots taken by me or Steve:

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
sounds like you guys are having a rad time... wish I could meet up with you on some rides, but i'll still be in ohio until the "tour" is well over

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
Sounds good to me 12:30 or 1 - Johnnyru?

I think we might help him a bit with trail maintenance in the morning.
Sounds good. We can meet Tigg at the clearing between 12:30 and 1. It'll give us a chance to eat something before we ride. We have a new trail so some of the trail maintenance we will need to do is actually ride the trail to break it in...sound good? The rest will be just raking and general cleanup. Nothing backbreaking.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
So yesterday was our day off so we climbed to the top of Mt. Mansfield (4400 ft, tallest in VT) in the morning, had some lunch at Piecasso's, grabbed some dessert at Ben and Jerry's, and finished off the night at the Rusty Nail.

It was a pretty easy hiking up the ridge line. Thought it would sweet if you could bring bikes up there and ride on the rocks but I suppose the tundra microclimate would not tolerate much of that.

Today we had a great 4 hour ride in and around the trails of Stowe courtesy of locals James and Mike (sorry, too into the flow to take photos). Tomorrow we'll be riding around Waterbury with Mike and JBP as Tony busted up his foot the day before yesterday playing around in a MTB park, bummer :(

Craig - stay strong. Hope things are better than you predicted in the email - you never know.

Sorry you could not make it Treesaw.

On the way up:

At the summit:

On the way down:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
damn if I don't love it up there... great shots. looks like you had the summit to yourselves.
I guess most tourists don't get up very early. Compared to the summits I've done out west, ours was quite late (it was a tourist type thing afterall, not in a big park).