Quantcast

northstar not open this season?

stinkyrider

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
i just recieved this email from northstar:

From: "Northstar Exec Assistant" <gmadmin@boothcreek.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: stinkyriderx@yahoo.com
Subject: RE: Bike Park Opening
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:21:07 -0800

I'm sorry, but we will not operate our bike park this season. There
were
far too many construction projects occurring on the hill to allow for a
safe
and enjoyable bike experience. We will definitely operate summer 2007,
with
expanded trails.

-Terri

i just hope this isnt some kind of sick april fools joke. even tho i recieved it on the 31st :)

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Okay, seriously. Its hard to tell with this one. If they are they can suck it and give me $200 for the season pass I won in a raffle. They can also give $50 to everyone who bought a season pass for last year and got screwed when they closed early.

If this is true I hate Northstar and I will NEVER go there again. Ever.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
wow if this is true then this pretty much ruins a ton of my summer plans, (if true) i am pissed because i was looking forward to going up this summer.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
renorider40 said:
wow if this is true then this pretty much ruins a ton of my summer plans, (if true) i am pissed because i was looking forward to going up this summer.

meh, there are sooo many better places to ride out there. I honestly don't care if they are open or not.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
chicodude said:
meh, there are sooo many better places to ride out there. I honestly don't care if they are open or not.
Northstar was still fun to ride, and you didn't have to climb or shuttle to the top...

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Poeple say no star every year. I dont think they could get away with it being that they violated a contract last year by closing early, and are basicly settling with a discount on passes this year.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
TheMontashu said:
Poeple say no star every year. I dont think they could get away with it being that they violated a contract last year by closing early, and are basicly settling with a discount on passes this year.
I think they can get away with whatever they want. They treated us pretty crappy last year, sandwiches in that little thing, weaving through construction, etc. They will probably give us a discount on staying at their luxury hotel.:nopity:

stinkyrider

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
i just moved up here. sooo northstar was the only thing i was looking forward to this summer. if there ar better places for biking. share with me?

stinkyrider

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
i emailed asking when it would open. i didnt "just" move here. i have been here for 6 months. but they said they would keep me updated on the bike park opening, and i just recieved that.

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
It makes you wonder when Whistler will close....
I mean, they are building for the 2010 Olympics, all N* is building is a condo.

What a crock of ****.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
bushwacker said:

What a crock of ****.
I dont think Whistler will close. They actually made their bike park nice, so they make money off of it and all the people who go there.

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
bushwacker said:

What a crock of ****.
No it's a 300 $Million condo called Ritz-Carlton

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I had been told that they wouldn't be open for bike ops this summer a couple months ago by someone who is pretty involoved up there, so I'd say it's looking true

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
normally i ignore all the n* gossip. because it's usually just that - gossip. but all this chit chat got me scared and i called up n*.

they said, "we may not open this summer"

i feel ill to my belly just thinking about that. every sunday this past summer i enjoyed riding up there. it was some of the most fun.

i'm bummed...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Scrub said:
Well go figure, I heard that 2 people died there this year on the slopes already. That pretty much screws us in the summer
actually, you might be surprised how many people die skiing every year. Sonny Bono ain't the only one.
Wolf Laurel in NC has had 2, if not 3 in around 5 years or so.

Funny thing about skiing...you give 500,000 people sticks greased up real good with wax, blades on the sides and slap them on a piece of tractionless ice or snow with only their bones to break the fall...and look what happends.

It really doesn't affect the resort's insurances that much unless a judge finds them absolutely at fault for the death...i.e. run over a skier standing still in the lodge with a snow plow.... Otherwise...that little ticket waiver you sign is worth it's weight in gold to the resort.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
amydalayna said:
normally i ignore all the n* gossip. because it's usually just that - gossip. but all this chit chat got me scared and i called up n*.

they said, "we may not open this summer"

i feel ill to my belly just thinking about that. every sunday this past summer i enjoyed riding up there. it was some of the most fun.

i'm bummed...
I worked for Booth Creek for a bit. They make very screwy choices from the guest POV, but they are always about money. They say building, but I am sure they don't know how to make biking make money. Check out my vid on bonesovermetal.com It will cheer you up!

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
I can confirm that there will be no bikes at N* this summer. I was hoping this was all the usual ugly rumors we always hear, but it is the truth. They will reopen in 07 with an (allegedly) expanded trail network.
Anyone know for certin if Shasta will be open to bikes this year? I had been told that last years closure was only for a year and they would reopen to bikes this year.....

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Brian HCM#1 said:
I wonder if this is N*'s prelude to closing permanently to MTB'n.:think:
. . . and four and a half hours of trail work for the past two years will go down the drain.

I love that place. However, it'd be nice if more of the people who worked there were passionate enough to give the managers reasons to build new trails.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
morethanjake543 said:
. . . and four and a half hours of trail work for the past two years will go down the drain.
Haha......that's awesome.

As I understand it, the two "main" dh trails, karp and dogbone were built kind of on a volunteer basis by a handfull of guys who wanted to hold races. "high sierra racing"

Remember when dogbone was called "HSR?".

I wonder if they'd be open to that again.

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
Brian HCM#1 said:
I wonder if this is N*'s prelude to closing permanently to MTB'n.:think:
Those are my exact thoughts, that is why I am trying to get a refund out of them now... I think they may completely eliminate the MTB stuff if we give them a year without it....

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
kidwoo said:
Haha......that's awesome.

As I understand it, the two "main" dh trails, karp and dogbone were built kind of on a volunteer basis by a handfull of guys who wanted to hold races. "high sierra racing"

Remember when dogbone was called "HSR?".

I wonder if they'd be open to that again.
I bet that their main concern with volunteers would be liability. Just a guess though.

I emailed the GM a few days ago asking to get my refund after she told me to email back and haven't heard anything.... Looks like they are making me take those golf passes.:rofl:

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I'm pretty sure there were volunteers up there helping last year. I think cap'pollution told me about it and I had work that got in the way, or something.

I remember seeing a freshly plowed trail at the end of the last year. It almost looked as if they were putting in some small table-tops under the lift near the condos. I'm not too sure what came of it, though.

I don't think they're worried about an insurance liability with volunteers. I'm pretty sure they're more worried about crazy mountain bikers tearing up the ski-hills. Because, you know, none of the N* trails are in the trees.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
great, I have a trip planned for the first week in July to hit SC, D-Ville, N* and then Mammoth. I guess N* is out of the equation....

matt12

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Napa, CA
morethanjake543 said:
I remember seeing a freshly plowed trail at the end of the last year. It almost looked as if they were putting in some small table-tops under the lift near the condos. I'm not too sure what came of it, though.
I'm pretty sure I know which trail you're talking about. It had a bunch of little tables/rollers with huge, loose rocks in the landings and takeoffs. I remember it.:rolleyes:

That is a good idea if they let volunteers help build though, maybe instead of riding there this summer they would let people improve the bike park?

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
you have got to be farkin kidding me.....

any news ??? if this is the case... closed... where is the nearest and best lift accessed DH ??

you there kidwoo ??

we fly out today :)...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
matt12 said:
Those are my exact thoughts, that is why I am trying to get a refund out of them now... I think they may completely eliminate the MTB stuff if we give them a year without it....
I can guarantee they will look closely at the last 5 years numbers (profit/lost), and they'll base it upon if they lost any money this year with keeping it closed to biking. I have a feeling they don't make that much money if any in the biking dept.