Quantcast

Not cool

I thought I'd throw this one in there for discussion. Wondering what y'alls thoughts are about this.....I'm not really asking this from a theological standpoint, although I must admit that, as I've said before, when you do hold as tightly to your beliefs as a few of us do here, you sort of can't separate your beliefs and your life, and your belief set governs the decisions you make in almost every situation. Just curious as to what y'all think about this. I personally don't agree with this, unless the disability is so severe that it will most likely take everything a hospital has JUST to keep the baby alive and breathing, let alone improving the condition.

"Princeton University professor Peter Singer, dubbed the "godfather" of animal rights, says Christianity is a "problem" for the animal rights movement.
Singer, author of the book "Animal Liberation" and a professor of bioethics at Princeton University's Center for Human Values, criticized American Christianity for its fundamentalist strain that takes the Bible too "literally" and promotes "speciesism." He defined speciesism as the belief that being a member of a certain species "makes you superior to any other being that is not a member of that species."

Baby Killing OK

In an address to the national Animal Rights 2002 conference in McLean, Va., on Saturday, Singer also reiterated his controversial position that a "severely disabled" infant may be killed up to 28 days after its birth if the parents deem the baby's life is not worth living.

"I think that mainstream Christianity has been a problem for the animal movement," Singer told about 100 people attending a workshop titled "When Is Killing OK? (Attacking animals? Unwanted dogs & cats? Unwanted or deformed fetuses?)"

He singled out the "more conservative mainstream fundamentalist views" that "want to make a huge gulf between humans and animals" as being the most harmful to the concept of "animal liberation."

Singer rejected what he termed "the standard view that most people hold," that "just being human makes life special." He told one questioner from the audience, "I hope that you don't think that just being a biological member of the species homo sapiens means that you do have a soul and being a member of some other species means they don't. I think that would trouble me."

"I am an atheist, I know that is an ugly word in America," he added.

Singer pointed out that the Judeo-Christian ethic teaches not only that humans have souls and animals don't, but that humans are made in the image of God and that God gave mankind dominion over the animals. "All three taken together do have a very negative influence on the way in which we think about animals," he said.

He explained that his mission is to challenge "this superiority of human beings," and he conceded that his ideas go very much against the grain of a country that mostly still believes in human superiority.

Infant's Right to Life?

Singer reiterated one of his most controversial positions regarding the right to kill a newborn infant within 28 days of birth if the infant is deemed "severely disabled."

"If you have a being that is not sentient, that is not even aware, then the killing of that being is not something that is wrong in and of itself," he stated.

"I think that a chimpanzee certainly has greater self-awareness than a newborn baby," he told CNSNews.com.

He explained that "there are some circumstances, for example, where the newborn baby is severely disabled and where the parents think that it's better that that child should not live, when killing the newborn baby is not at all wrong ... not like killing the chimpanzee would be. Maybe it's not wrong at all."

He said his original view, published in his book "Practical Ethics," that the parents should have 28 days to determine whether the infant should live has been modified somewhat since the book's release.

"So in that book, we suggested that 28 days is not a bad period of time to use because on the one hand, it gives you time to examine the infant to [see] what the nature of the disability is; gives time for the couple to recover from the shock of the birth to get well advised and informed from all sorts of groups, medical opinion and disability and to reach a decision.

"And also I think that it is clearly before the point at which the infant has those sorts of forward-looking preferences, that kind of self-awareness, that I talked about. But I now think, after a lot more discussion, that you can't really propose any particular cut-off date."

He now advocates that the life or death decision regarding the infant should be made "as soon as possible after birth" because the 28 day cut-off, based on an ancient Greek practice, is "too arbitrary."

He called his views on killing "non-speciest" and "logical" because they don't "depend on simply being a member of the species homo sapiens."

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
they say 3% of animals killed are for research. They say it costs an average of 100 bucks a day to maintain an animal for research . animal rights activists say that animal research is the cruelest form of animal cruelty. animal rights activists go for those with the weakest political power....ie scientists and researchers, cause they don't have the time arguing with animal rights activists when it's hard enough getting money for research, unlike cosmetic companies...or the fashion industry.

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
that guy makes me sad. I guess what makes me more sad is that lots of people DO agree with him.

I also think it's okay to eat animals. I don't think I agree with killing animals for other reasons, but food is okay.

Reactionaries, aren't we all. He makes you sick, yet we're running out of room for the people we have. I do agree that it is out there, but what about aborting babies we know will have massive birth defects? You can argue that we don't have the right to play "god," but then again, neither do we have to live that condmned life. Armchair theology! My favorite.

Originally posted by 2fish
Reactionaries, aren't we all. He makes you sick, yet we're running out of room for the people we have. I do agree that it is out there, but what about aborting babies we know will have massive birth defects? You can argue that we don't have the right to play "god," but then again, neither do we have to live that condmned life. Armchair theology! My favorite.
Well, obviously, the answer to this question depends upon what viewpoint you look at it from. From a human standpoint, of course, it would always be more humane to not have the child suffer through it. And of course, if a baby, for instance, is born without a brain or such, it's obviously not going to survive without full-time medical attention.

But barring defects so massive that a child cannot survive without constant critical medical attention, it is, admittedly, very easy to hop on the other side of the fence, and point out that while the child will have to suffer though that defect for the rest of their life, it does not necessarily give us the right to terminate that life based on how WE think the child will fare in life. It is entirely possible, for instance, that a baby could be born with a very rare disease that will cause death in 5 or 10 years, and the child could be aborted because, to the mother or father, it might make no sense to force the child to live a short life and then have to die young, after suffering from the disease his entire short life - and then a year later, the cure is introduced.

This is one of those things that I should be poking with a 39-and-a-half foot pole. *L* I can see controversy cresting the horizon now.....:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Random
What's really said is I over heard some chimpmunks that read his book and actually agreed with him.
I guess I'm just an over-educated "chimpmunk" [sic] then. I agree with him. In religion class in high school my Jesuit schoolteachers and I would clash because I felt the working definition of being human as being self-aware was sufficient, and that defining life to begin at conception was unnecessarily broad. Flame away; I like argument, just in case you haven't picked up on that yet. ;) :eek:

Originally posted by Toshi

I guess I'm just an over-educated "chimpmunk" [sic] then. I agree with him. In religion class in high school my Jesuit schoolteachers and I would clash because I felt the working definition of being human as being self-aware was sufficient, and that defining life to begin at conception was unnecessarily broad. Flame away; I like argument, just in case you haven't picked up on that yet. ;) :eek:
Actually, I hadn't noticed.

:D

I also only noticed the 'chimpmunk' *L* when you noted it. *LOL*

For me, it really comes down to 2 things. One, obviously, you know my beliefs. We'll leave that part at that. *L*

But there's also a human rights side to abortion...there can't not be. After all, unborn babies will eventually be born, and will, supposedly, then, be human beings.

I say 'supposedly' because, for me, a baby is and always was a human being, even before birth. Why do I say this? Well, obviously, I've never heard of a mother giving birth to a TREE, or a hamburger, or a platypus. She'll give birth to a human being. If you look at it from a biological standpoint, the baby, from the moment of conception, goes through changes in its 9-month journey towards birth, but they are changes that are obvious and expected, and consistent with the development of a human being. It's not like the development is that of a corned beef sandwich, and then *boom* at birth it suddenly transforms into a human being complete with individuality. It is also the offspring of 2 human beings...therefore the baby itself is a human being.

There's also the 'self-awareness' side of it. Yeah, it can be argued that since a baby, before birth, may not be self-aware of conscious, then it's not a person, and therefore doesn't have the same rights as other people.

That really depends upon your point of view. For me, I really don't separate the terms 'people' and 'human being.' I've never known a person who wasn't a human being, and I've never known a human being who wasn't a person. Although if you know of any, I'd like to meet them. :p And as such, I don't think that simply because a child is not conscious YET, we have the right to play God and determine that child's future, whether it be abortion before (or worse yet, after) birth, or a full birth and long life. Because it is obvious that once born, it will be conscious - unless it suffers massive birth defects, and we've already discussed that to some degree. You could sort of apply this to someone who has gone into a coma, and is not 'conscious.' Obviously there are loads of people who have gone into comas, and then come back OUT of them. But when they're actually IN the coma, they're not conscious of anything. This places them in the same place as the unborn babies....and I think there'd be a tad bit of controversy if we suddenly started pulling the plug on all people in comas because they're not conscious. That would probably fly like a lead airplane. :D

For me there is a huge difference between a child that is born that is conscious, and a child that is born (or that will be born) that does NOT have consciousness. I guess my 'stance' on this is that if the human being will be born with nothing inhibiting its consciousness, then it should be given the chance to live.