Quantcast

Not funny: Never pour gasoline down your sink!

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
From my blog:

Never pour gasoline or the contents of a gasoline can down your sink. Not only is it environmentally-unfriendly, it's extremely dangerous. My mom's neighbor learned this lesson the hard way and has paid a hefty price.

About a week and a half ago, this neighbor decided to empty out the contents of a gasoline can he had in his backyard (near his lawnmower.) Apparently he thought since he left it outside for a long time, the gasoline had evaporated and the can was filled with rainwater. He took it to his laundry room sink to pour it down the drain.

He should have noticed it was gasoline when he began pouring it into the sink. Maybe he figured, "Oh, well, I can't put gasoline mixed with water in my mower, so I'll just pour it down the sink and buy more gasoline." None of us are quite sure what he was thinking.

The fumes from the gasoline rose up out of the sink and formed an invisible cloud in the air, which then spread through the basement to his water heater's pilot light. The pilot light ignited the fumes, causing a powerful explosion that burned the man and melted a good portion of the basement. My mom heard the explosion from her garage and was soon greeted by the neighbor, who was on fire, yelling, "Call 911!"

A week and a half later, the man is still in the hospital (with possible burned lungs, last I heard) and is very lucky to be alive. Thankfully his children were upstairs and able to escape the house without harm.

Be careful out there now. Contact your local fire department if you're not sure how to dispose of something.

J

JRB

The moral of this story is that chemicals are best poured in the street.

*I saw a diesel spill in the town I live last summer. It took like 9 hours to clean up like 50 gallons. There was a huge spill across the road here where I work, and people just drove through it, and it was never cleaned up.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
What're you supposed to do with the gas then? Just dump it next to a tree or something? In a creek?

I put some motor oil in a cooler and drilled the top down and just threw it in the trash, but it spilled out anyway...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BurlyShirley said:
What're you supposed to do with the gas then? Just dump it next to a tree or something? In a creek?

I put some motor oil in a cooler and drilled the top down and just threw it in the trash, but it spilled out anyway...
Contact your waste disposal company. They should be able to either tell you where to dispose of it or arrange for a special pick up. Sometimes the local fire dept can help as well.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ciaran said:
Contact your waste disposal company. They should be able to either tell you where to dispose of it or arrange for a special pick up. Sometimes the local fire dept can help as well.
No way. That sounds like WAY too much work for something that could just as easily float downstream so it wont be in my way anymore.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
everyone knows that you are supposed to dispose of gas by pouring it on your enemies lawn while spelling loser or something. :rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
The moral of this story is that chemicals are best poured in the street.
Exactly! Especially if you live near coastal areas. Make sure the storm drains in the area pour out right into the open water.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BurlyShirley said:
No way. That sounds like WAY too much work for something that could just as easily float downstream so it wont be in my way anymore.
Wait, we all know you'll find your way into that stream...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I recycle my motor oil, but I don't leave gas anywhere that would cause issues. The can stays in the garden shed in the can, closed.

Man, that sucks for him, but you would think he would have known better. At least if you pour it in the street, your house is less likely to blow up.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I thought the moral of the story was, Don't move next door to idiots who might burn your house down along with their own.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sucks for him but that is a narrow miss for a Darwin Award.

If he thought it was water, why would he have poured it down the sink instead of just dumping it in the yard? He had to know it was at least partly gas. Probably didn't want to pour it out in HIS yard, so instead of proper disposal he decided it would be better to share it with the rest of the community and the water supply...sorry but that is stupid and lame.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
BurlyShirley said:

In civilized areas auto parts stores are required to collect used oil.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Wait wait....you mean gasoline is volatile AND highly flammable???? Why in't this common knowledge?? Damn the government for keeping these secrets from us!!! They're trying to kill us all!!

( what kind of moron does something like that??)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
johnbryanpeters said:
I have a 55 gallon drum half filled with very stale gas that I have been trying to figure out how to dispose of. I think a rag wick and a match might be just the trick.
:thumb:

I want video!!!

BWAHAHAA:rofl:

:nonono:

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
MMike said:
Wait wait....you mean gasoline is volatile AND highly flammable???? Why in't this common knowledge?? Damn the government for keeping these secrets from us!!! They're trying to kill us all!!

( what kind of moron does something like that??)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:....... He will probably sue somebody...and win..!!!