Quantcast

Notes on my recent marathon :eek:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yesterday I started my day at 4AM with a 3 hour drive to the North Olympic Discovery Marathon in Sequim, WA. I am in the final stages of recovery from a stress fracture and associated tendonitis that were the result of overuse and bad ankle twist from earlier this year. Recovery from this injuries is usually 6 to 8 weeks but I wasn’t aware that my injuries were that serious until about a month after I did the initial damage. I continued to run and made matter worse – by the time I went to the doctors the fracture had begun to heal but another was developing in the same area. No running for 8 weeks is the only cure – the injury is a result of overuse and not a single incident.

Not to worry though as this kind of injury only hurts when you are walking or running. Pedaling is pain free and totally OK. So I pedaled around a lot in order to maintain my cardio and fitness level. I ran an easy 50K in mid April – I finished 16th but it was a total bitch, much more difficult than it should have been. It was also painful so I went to the doctor for more X-rays and was told no running for another 30 days; I had to cancel a planned marathon in May.

I began running again on June 1st with a 16 mile trail run that has around 2,200 feet of gain – normally this is a 3 hour run but it took me nearly 4 hours. I kind of expected this but the reality really sucked when it hit home. In order to pick a marathon pace that I could sustain I ran a 7 mile trial loop with about 900 feet of gain on the Thursday before the event. I did it in 1:07 or about 8 minutes slower than normal and 9 minutes slower than my fastest time for the loop.

On the morning of the marathon I decide to run with a newbie who has never run a marathon before – he wanted to finish in 4 hours or less. I though this was doable as it was 30 minutes longer than my best time in the last year. Marathons are pretty uneventful and not nearly as interesting as a trail 50K, I find most of them tedious but, as a runner, I feel compelled to run one or two each year. This marathon was not bad, plenty of rolling hills and great scenery. The hardest part is just maintaining a steady pace – your last mile should be as fast as your first, if it’s not then you went out too fast and wasted much needed energy. Newbies always do this – it’s the only way to learn.

We start off at the back of the pack – and I mean dead last. I am not in good enough shape to take a mile warm up before – 26.2 will be enough for one day! So the first mile will be 11 minutes, 2nd will be 10 minutes and then we will fall into a comfortable pace of 9:20. That’s over 1 minute longer than my normal marathon pace and it should have been easy… and it was for the first 18 miles or so. After that 10 minute miles were the best we could muster. My newbie runner was beginning to feel pain and fatigue around mile 18 – this is called hitting the wall, it’s a combination physical exhaustion and a wandering mind. You are certain you will never finish and become desperate to just walk or even stop. Many first timers drop at this point but my running partner did not – he slowed down a lot (giving me a much needed rest) but never walked. At mile 25 I figured I had done my best for him so I attempted to resume my normal pace but it wasn’t there – my tank was empty. I only gained 5 or 6 seconds on him over the space of a mile – hardly worth the effort! I finished in 4:15 and change. 45 minutes slower than my best of 2002 and 32 minutes slower than my last road marathon in December – I wasn’t happy. Running alone I might have taken 5 minutes of my time - maybe.

After the race I wandered over to the picture area to look for my picture. When I found it I was shocked by how much weight I’d put on in 6 months. I’d figured 5 or 6 LBS but when I showered at the Y I hopped on their scales and registered 162 LBS – after running for over 4 hours!!! That’s 10 LBS in 6 months – and I don’t like it! Even though I bike 4 days a week it just does not burn the energy that running does. Amazing that I could put on 10 LBS and not even notice. I need to run more…

Anyhow – to sum it up: Out of 280 plus runners I finish 123rd, out of 22 men in my age group I finished 21 out of 22. If I was racing this would have been devastating – since I am coming back from an injury it is just depressing. On the other hand… a reality check now and again keeps you humble.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
my boss walked the half marathon.

do you loose alot of weight when you run these things? he said he dropped like 7 pounds.

me, if I need to go 26 miles, I'll take my car.

:p

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Just riding that long is boring never mind running just the fact you can mentally take that kind of boringness is impressive. Thats not bad at all considering your injuries and time off i notice a difference in porformance after a week off. Atleast you know were you stand and if you loses that weight i think it would make a huge difference.
Reality sucks but just keep thinking of excuses to keep you motivated thats what i do.;) JK

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by JMAC
Just riding that long is boring never mind running just the fact you can mentally take that kind of boringness is impressive. Thats not bad at all considering your injuries and time off i notice a difference in porformance after a week off. Atleast you know were you stand and if you loses that weight i think it would make a huge difference.
Reality sucks but just keep thinking of excuses to keep you motivated thats what i do.;) JK
At the start I was fully confident that 4 hours would be easy but it wasn't. On the plus side most people train for many months prior running one and I just did a 16 and a 7 - I plan to start training again after my doctor's visit on Wednesday. I feel a little discomfort in the medial area but it seems minor, I think I am good to go again.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by pnj
my boss walked the half marathon.

do you loose alot of weight when you run these things? he said he dropped like 7 pounds.

me, if I need to go 26 miles, I'll take my car.

:p
Ummm... that seems excessive for walking. On a mountain 50K I might loose 4 or 5 lbs on a hot day. Yesterday I drank about 8oz of Gatoraid every 2 miles - I weighed 162 again this morning on my home scales - they seem to be about 3 LBS off. I was 153 LBS when I first went to the doc in February.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
thanks for the write up dude. congrats on the finish and good luck with the rehab. I've been bitch slapped some many times this year i can totally relate. Hang in there it does get eaiser.
t

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OK - the official results have been posted. My time is the same at 4:15:13 but instead of 2nd to last in my age group I am 21 of 28. Of men in general I was 88 / 156.

Typically on a road race I am in the top 1/3 of men overall and top 50% for my age group. For this race I would have only needed a 3:52... :think:

No hassle though - it's all over now. :D

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Thanks for the great re-cap, SM!! I know you're not thrilled with the results, but it's really is amazing that you have the time to train for all these events, and ride your bike :eek:

Keep us posted on your recovery, and your next race. They are inspirational for us running newbs :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Mocha
Keep us posted on your recovery, and your next race. They are inspirational for us running newbs :)
Thanks Mocha - the problem was lack of training. I dropped from 150 miles a month to nothing for 8 weeks and only 350 total for all of 2003. Normally I'd be nearing 1000 miles by now.

I am starting my recovery runs next Monday. I rode my bike around for an hour yesterday and will do so gain tonight. Low inpact is good. :thumb:

My next big race is the Cle Elem Ridge 50K. The course is in the hiking books as a pleasant 2 day hike. My ultra partner and I are shooting for under 6:45 for the 31 miles and 5,400 feet of gain. Last year we were in the 7:20 range. This is an interesting race... :D :D :D

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Thanks Mocha - the problem was lack of training. I dropped from 150 miles a month to nothing for 8 weeks and only 350 total for all of 2003. Normally I'd be nearing 1000 miles by now.

I am starting my recovery runs next Monday. I rode my bike around for an hour yesterday and will do so gain tonight. Low inpact is good. :thumb:

My next big race is the Cle Elem Ridge 50K. The course is in the hiking books as a pleasant 2 day hike. My ultra partner and I are shooting for under 6:45 for the 31 miles and 5,400 feet of gain. Last year we were in the 7:20 range. This is an interesting race... :D :D :D

That's quite a drop in miles. No wonder you were hurtin'. I started training once for a marathon. Man, what a lot of work! To go from running 10k to 42k was quite a shock to my body. Unfortunately, my running partner became ill, and we lost a few weeks. At that point, we just didn't have enough time to get ready. I think I'd want to train for 8-12 months if I ever did it again. Just out of curiosity, what does your training week look like when you're getting ready for a race? Give it to me in hours, since the miles thing gets me all messed up :rolleyes:

Do you have time for anything else? or are you basically running 24/7?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well first off I am self employed and only work enough to get by. No more wifey means I can be selfish and screw off all the time. :thumb:

My heaviest week of training is 3 weeks prior to a race of 50K.

Monday 40 minutes + bike. (5 miles on road)
Tuesday 40 minutes + bike. (5 miles on road)
Wednesday 90 minutes. (10 miles on road)
Thursday all bike day.
Friday 60 minutes. (7 miles on trail)
Saturday bike or run 60 minutes. (5 miles on road)
Sundays 3 to 4 hours every other week - sometimes up to 6 hours if doing hills. Bicycle on non-running Sundays. (16 to 31 miles on trails)

Anyhow thats like 55 to 70 K per week - some weeks get more bicycling and less running depending on how I feel.

You could train to finish a marathon in 12 weeks - going for a specific time would require a plan and more training.

Originally posted by Mocha
That's quite a drop in miles. No wonder you were hurtin'. I started training once for a marathon. Man, what a lot of work! To go from running 10k to 42k was quite a shock to my body. Unfortunately, my running partner became ill, and we lost a few weeks. At that point, we just didn't have enough time to get ready. I think I'd want to train for 8-12 months if I ever did it again. Just out of curiosity, what does your training week look like when you're getting ready for a race? Give it to me in hours, since the miles thing gets me all messed up :rolleyes:

Do you have time for anything else? or are you basically running 24/7?

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Well first off I am self employed and only work enough to get by. No more wifey means I can be selfish and screw off all the time. :thumb:

My heaviest week of training is 3 weeks prior to a race of 50K.

Monday 40 minutes + bike. (5 miles on road)
Tuesday 40 minutes + bike. (5 miles on road)
Wednesday 90 minutes. (10 miles on road)
Thursday all bike day.
Friday 60 minutes. (7 miles on trail)
Saturday bike or run 60 minutes. (5 miles on road)
Sundays 3 to 4 hours every other week - sometimes up to 6 hours if doing hills. Bicycle on non-running Sundays. (16 to 31 miles on trails)

Anyhow thats like 55 to 70 K per week - some weeks get more bicycling and less running depending on how I feel.

You could train to finish a marathon in 12 weeks - going for a specific time would require a plan and more training.

Well, it didn't look too bad until Sunday :dead:

12 weeks was the time frame we were working with. But when my running partner got sick, and we missed a few long runs, it was over. I'd like to try again someday. If only I could stay off my bike ;)

waterlilli

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
Have you ever done Baker Lake 50k? I am doing that one this year, I was trying to decide between CleElum and Baker and decided on Baker.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by waterlilli
Have you ever done Baker Lake 50k? I am doing that one this year, I was trying to decide between CleElum and Baker and decided on Baker.
I have never done Baker Lake - or even looked into it. I will do a search and read up on it. Is it your first 50k? Cle Elum is not a good choice for a first... :eek:

EDIT: I browsed the web site but could not find any elevation chart so I reviewed the results. The only name I recognized was Max Welker - he finished 31st in 2002 and is 60. He has run over 100 Ultra Marathons - in fact his 100th was the Capital Peak Mega Fat Ass just south of Olympia. I finished this race 30 minutes ahead of Max. On races with less elevation I typically finish 45 minutes ahead of him. Max is a very steady and smart runner - you can guage course difficulty by his finish times.

Max finished Baker Lake in 6:16:28 so I am thinking it is one of the easier courses. He finished the Mega Fat Ass is 7:59 - that trail was fairly technical and has an elevation gain of some 4300 feet of gain.

Cle Elum has an elevation gain of 6,100 feet but also has about the best views to be found on any 50K. Last year we saw 3 Sisters in Oregon as clear as you can imagine.

I am sure I will meet you on a 50K eventually - there are only 20,000 active ultra marathoners in all of the US and Canada combined.

waterlilli

Chimp
Apr 4, 2003
Cle Elum looked like a hard first 50, that why I went with Baker. There is always next year for Cle Elum. I did the Capital peak (just the half) it was a great race, really fun and I could take my dog, a real plus.:D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by waterlilli
Cle Elum looked like a hard first 50, that why I went with Baker. There is always next year for Cle Elum. I did the Capital peak (just the half) it was a great race, really fun and I could take my dog, a real plus.:D
Sweet! Capital Peak was where I turned my ankle at around mile 3 - I didn't think it was serious but by the bone scan it was that race that began my stress fracture. I further screwed things up at Hagg Lake but finished in under 6 hours - that was a long time goal.

The Ron Herzog 50 is in November and cheap at $10.00 an entry. :)