Quantcast

Now that is a big boar taken with a bow

Discussion in 'Firearms and Mac & Cheese' started by eric strt6, May 4, 2016.

1. eric strt6

eric strt6 Resident Curmudgeon

Rep/Likes:
    200 / 1,995

#1 -   May 4, 2016

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    50 / 391
    BACON!!!!!

#2 -   May 9, 2016
  3. Nick

Nick My name is Nick

Rep/Likes:
    226 / 1,626
    City-boy question: can you get good edible meat from a giant hog like that? Or, is that more of a sport thing?

#3 -   May 9, 2016
  4. eric strt6

eric strt6 Resident Curmudgeon

Rep/Likes:
    200 / 1,995
    Hog Hunting: The 6 Biggest Myths About Hunting, Killing, and Eating Big Boars
    http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/ga...hs-about-hunting-killing-and-eating-big-boars

6. Meat from big boars is inedible

"I hear many people say this and it is untrue," Clayton said. "Older boars above 150 pounds or so make great pork chops. The rest is sausage. They don't make good ham or ham steaks."

Here's why people get that impression: "Most of that testosterone in an older boar is carried in its sexual organs. That is where the smell comes from," he said. "Cut around the sexual organs and extract them all in one piece."

In other words, meat quality in a big porker is all about how you butcher the boar.

The best-eating wild pigs are younger, smaller boars, Clayton said, noting he prefers boars of 190 pounds or less.

One of the reasons why younger boars are often better than sows is they are not suckling piglets. Sows often have litters up to twice a year. They won't be in as good shape as boars," he said.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    50 / 391
    That goes for so many large game animals. I hear a lot of people that pass up on the old ones because they think it will be horrible. It's all in the processing and packing.