Quantcast

NSFW Banner ads

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I know a thread in the DH forum about interbike was censored because of pictures that were NSFW. I'm suggesting that the banner ads from TRUE be censored as well. It's extremely embarrassing to open up a forum at work and have a pair of breasts falling out of a bikini pop up on the right side of the screen.

I don't know what TRUE is and I don't care, I will not click that banner ad at work or anywhere else for that matter. As the administration has shown concern about the content posted by members, I suggest that the administration also hold a hard line on the content of the advertising as well.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
PM ridemonkey about this. He needs to be made aware of the different crappy campaigns.

Did you happen to copy the link that come sup when you click on it or mouseover? That's the only real way to know which network is pushing it to us.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I gotta ask, what is the big F*CKING deal? It was one damn picture out of like 30 in the post. It was a picture that anyone with a brain would know better than to post. It was a picture that didn't have a damn thing to add other than jollies for 13 year olds. It was literally the only time I have ever moderated anything in the DH forum. What's the big F*CKING deal?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I don't think that's the point this time, senor opressor. I wouldn't want a huge rack in my browser window at the office either.

Of course, if that's a problem, you probably shouldn't be browsing the web at work.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I gotta ask, what is the big F*CKING deal? It was one damn picture out of like 30 in the post. It was a picture that anyone with a brain would know better than to post. It was a picture that didn't have a damn thing to add other than jollies for 13 year olds. It was literally the only time I have ever moderated anything in the DH forum. What's the big F*CKING deal?
:shocked:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
The big deal is I agree with you Echo. I don't want to have to worry about what I'm going to see when I open up a web page with my boss looking over my shoulder from the adjacent cube. I'm glad you moderated the post with the questionable content I wouldn't have even known that it had been censored if everyone hadn't made a huge deal about it. If whatever the picture contianed wasn't suitable for the site, judging by people's reactions, some of the advertisements shouldn't be allowed either.

Don't think I'm whining about the moderators mindless censorship, I think that you all have been consistant and tasteful in your actions. The rules are pretty clean cut and easy to find, I haven't seen much slide and that's what keeps me coming back to RM. My beef is that the advertisements are at times inapropriate for a work environment, the comments that were made in the thread about RM's awareness of the members usage at work made me think twice about the banner ads too, if RM has the power to censor banner ads I'll do the best I can to grab URLs and post them up here or PM them to Ridemonkey.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Echo needs to switch to decaf, that's all. :)

I completely agree with you BTW, and Rm can easily tell the networks what advertisers not to display. He doesn't get to preview the ads or select them, but he can stop certain ones. He does need to know the advertiser and the network, both of which you can usually figure out from the URL.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The big deal is I agree with you Echo. I don't want to have to worry about what I'm going to see when I open up a web page with my boss looking over my shoulder from the adjacent cube. I'm glad you moderated the post with the questionable content I wouldn't have even known that it had been censored if everyone hadn't made a huge deal about it. If whatever the picture contianed wasn't suitable for the site, judging by people's reactions, some of the advertisements shouldn't be allowed either.

Don't think I'm whining about the moderators mindless censorship, I think that you all have been consistant and tasteful in your actions. The rules are pretty clean cut and easy to find, I haven't seen much slide and that's what keeps me coming back to RM. My beef is that the advertisements are at times inapropriate for a work environment, the comments that were made in the thread about RM's awareness of the members usage at work made me think twice about the banner ads too, if RM has the power to censor banner ads I'll do the best I can to grab URLs and post them up here or PM them to Ridemonkey.
OK, I misunderstood the intent of your post and I apologize. You wouldn't believe the amount of whining that occurred over that one picture being deleted. Like it was some damn sacred text that must be preserved. Sorry I lumped ya in with the whiners.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I thought using these clever methods to get around the cursing filters was frowned upon, and subject to heavy moderation and possible banning...

Shall I report your post to a mod?

:biggrin:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The picture was inapropriate, and not sacred but damn - I'd covet it (them?).
Yeah the pic was enjoyable, no doubt. When it was posted as a link with a warning for us poor schmucks that surf from work, I had no problem with it :p

edit: no, this does not mean all you mental 13 year olds can start linking to all your pr0n.

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
not to be an ass...but if you shouldnt be looking at it at work....why open the site?

do you not have work to be doing?

im not tryin to be a dick....im honestly curious where the complaint comes from if someone else is paying you to do "work" while you are surfing biking sites

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
not to be an ass...but if you shouldnt be looking at it at work....why open the site?

im not tryin to be a dick....im honestly curious where the complaint comes from if someone else is paying you to do "work" while you are surfing biking sites
If I'm waiting for a software upgrade to load and my boss walks up while I'm surfing RM, he's like "you shouldn't surf the internet while at work". On the other hand if I'm waiting for a software upgrade to finish and my boss walks up while I'm looking at boobies on the internet, he's like "you're fired".

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR

Obviously some people understand and others just don't. Let's just say that one of the perks of a college education is that I have the freedom to browse the internet during work hours so long as I am up to date on my projects. If I worked harder and spent less time on the internet I wouldn't save the company any money, much of what I do is wait for something to go wrong and be prepared to deal with it in a timely manner. While I'm waiting appropriate use of the internet is acceptable, like others have said, looking at boobies on the internet isn't appropriate no matter what site they came from.

If I know that every time I open up RM there will be a woman in a bikini staring at me I'll be sure to avoid RM at work before it becomes a problem, a booby free RM is going to take longer to become a problem than the boob infested version.