Quantcast

Nukeproof Generator hub overhaul

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Hi,

I'm wanting to do an overhaul on my rear hub, a Nukeproof Generator 150x12mm, after finding a bit of play in the freehub. There is a diagram available on the Nukeproof site here:

http://www.nukeproof.com/images/stories/warranty-pdf/nukeproof - hub assembly diagrams.pdf

So, I got the driveside end nut off the axle and got the freehub body off with some tapping on the axle. The outer bearing in the freehub body was a mess, so I tapped it out and luckily had a spare new one to tap back in. This eliminated the play in the freehub, but I wanted to take a look at the rest of the bearings because they might be starting to go the same way.

I was left with the main hub body, the axle sticking out, and the nut and end cap still bolted on to the non-drive side of the axle. Nothing seemed to want to budge. Having a look at the pdf above, it looks like there is a raised portion in the middle of the axle which I'm guessing the bearings sit up against. Is the way forward just to whack the drive side of the axle through the hub with a soft hammer, pushing out both non-drive bearings with it? Would I need to remove the nut and end cap off the drive side to do this, cos this would mean clamping the bare axle in a vice and getting the non-drive nut off?

Any advice appreciated, I'm reluctant to just start battering away at the axle in the hope the something gives. :thumb:

Cheers