Quantcast

Nukeproof Mega Carbon

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Sam Hill approved.

If Iwas in the market for a do-it-all-bike, this would be definitely a contender. Looks insanely good, especially BB height, head angle and seat angle.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Dig the length of the stays. on 425 and it gets a bit ragged with less travel out back to sort things out. 435 is going to be a lot more stable on the larger sizes when the going gets rough, and suits a 165mm bike imo.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
that's a killer deal. it's under 3gs up here too. Who can even compete with that?
Agree. You could probably ride that bike for a season and not have to change anything other than tires and brake pads.

It's happening. Real bikes for reasonable money.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Direct sales and the Internet. Great for people who buy bikes, bad for people who sell big brand or boutique bikes. Nukeproof, Commencal, YT, might not have the bling factor of some other companies but they are definitely gaining the street cred considering the mens and womens WC downhill and EWS series winners/ leaders are on mail order bikes.:clapping: Crazy when you think about it.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Not that crazy at all. Instead of shoving proprietary parts combined with overpriced frames down the consumers throat, direct sellers give the riders what they need: Functional bikes for a lot less money. Their success is no accident.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Yea saw that. basically GX vs SLX. Both are banging deals. a nice refreshing change to the 10k superbikes out there now.

Also, it's kind of refreshing to see the smaller, internet based companies doing well. Hard to justify the price of a Trek 9.9 when you can get a YT with the same parts for thousands less. Thousands that could be put to multiple trips or even another complete bike.

this for example, is $11,500 here:

I could buy:

Carbon Mega
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/nukeproof-mega-275-carbon-factory-bike-2018/rp-prod159387[mega C[/url
Pulse $4345

A
nd have 2k left for a road bike or trip

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yea saw that. basically GX vs SLX. Both are banging deals. a nice refreshing change to the 10k superbikes out there now.

Also, it's kind of refreshing to see the smaller, internet based companies doing well. Hard to justify the price of a Trek 9.9 when you can get a YT with the same parts for thousands less. Thousands that could be put to multiple trips or even another complete bike.

this for example, is $11,500 here:

I could buy:

Carbon Mega
Pulse $4345

A
nd have 2k left for a road bike or trip
Tru, but that beauty gives you the most butt for the buck. :fie:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I have a couple of buddies that are looking to get back into the sport, and these sorts of companies are making it WAY easier for those guys to get into it and be excited. None of them are excited about riding low quality parts or some haggard bike from PinkBike, and while there are used gems out there, it's a lot easier to buy a bike with confidence when it's new from a trusted manufacturer, with current standards, at a price you can afford.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Giant is under $3K for the alloy Reign... of course, they aren't boutique or even "mainstream boutique"...
True, but the Mega is still $550 cheaper (2350 vs $2900) and comes with a reservoir rear shock vs an inline on the Giant. They both come with chainguides- nice.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
in the UK/Ireland a Shop can get nukeproof at a price to match CRC at all times which is good going. they dont have the bling factor of other brands but they do the job VERY well,
that's actually pretty impressive. Keep the LBS happy, still stick it to the big brands. not bad.

Value brands used to be absolute garbage (well, MOST bikes were absolute garbage in the 2000s), and you'd have to hit up the more boutique brands to get something good. now these little value brands are killing it, winning multiple championships for both sexes while at it which means they are also putting back into the cycling scene and keeping racing alive. top stuff.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Been waiting to see the details on the new Nukeproof Megas. Pretty awesome value for money on both the carbon and the aluminium versions (althought the 350g weight difference isn't what I expected).

Nukeproof made the L and XL sizes longer but kept the medium the same (Hill prefers the medium apparently). This gives a 35mm reach difference between the M and L sizes which is huge. I'd love if they slotted in a Largium to fill that gap as 450 is right where I'd like reach to be. That aside, these things look killer - $5K AUD for the carbon with Fox 36 and full XT is pretty sharp.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nukeproof was so far ahead of the game. What are oversize headtubes for? Cramming stuff inside.

nukeproof_reactor3.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I just compared the geo chart of this and the "old" Transition Patrol. Chainstays are 5mm longer, reach and ETT a couple of mm longer, BB about 5mm higher. STA 0.25° steeper. I know small changes can have a big effect, but I think on the whole, the two bikes are very similar. And the geo on my tranny has been blowing me away. That build kit comes in a hair over what I paid for my used tranny. that's phenomenal value.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Short CS = moar fun. I'm still considering the extra heft of the Balance over the Patrol/ MT just for the 420mm CS. I had 3 days on an SB5.5, and the extra work to lift the front wheel was not worth it. It was really happy going as fast as possible, though.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pretty awesome value for money on both the carbon and the aluminium versions
in comparison to all the massively overpriced frames/bikes mountainbikers seem absoloutely accepting of?
They're hardly cheap at £2400 for the bottom of the range Alu and $4600 for the carbon.
To me this is what ALL top end mountainbike frames *should* cost.
Anything more is just taking the piss...

It's almost like most cyclists are gullible consumeristic morons.

Oh... wait

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just compared the geo chart of this and the "old" Transition Patrol. Chainstays are 5mm longer, reach and ETT a couple of mm longer, BB about 5mm higher. STA 0.25° steeper. I know small changes can have a big effect, but I think on the whole, the two bikes are very similar. And the geo on my tranny has been blowing me away. That build kit comes in a hair over what I paid for my used tranny. that's phenomenal value.
Not huge differences at all. I'm running a medium patrol and can't shake the feeling its too short for me though, like the front wheel wants to 'tuck' under me when cornering hard. Weirdly, I run a medium Scout and it feels fine. I was hoping the new Mega was gonna be 10 - 15mm longer in reach but they didn't extend the bloody mediums, only the the L and XL!

Short CS = moar fun. I'm still considering the extra heft of the Balance over the Patrol/ MT just for the 420mm CS. I had 3 days on an SB5.5, and the extra work to lift the front wheel was not worth it. It was really happy going as fast as possible, though.
Check out the new Kona Process (425mm from memory)

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
in comparison to all the massively overpriced frames/bikes mountainbikers seem absoloutely accepting of?
They're hardly cheap at £2400 for the bottom of the range Alu and $4600 for the carbon.
I agree thats what a bike bloody should cost. By comparison, even adding import duties etc, the top spec aluminium Mega is AUD $1500 cheaper than the equivalent Patrol over here. And it has a 5 year warranty to boot.

I also like that Nukeproof hasn't skipped on proper tyres (3C compound vs. dual compound on a lot of OEM bikes). Sure it's a cheap(ish) fix but it shouldn't need to be done on a pushbike that costs half what a small car does.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I agree thats what a bike bloody should cost. By comparison, even adding import duties etc, the top spec aluminium Mega is AUD $1500 cheaper than the equivalent Patrol over here. And it has a 5 year warranty to boot.

I also like that Nukeproof hasn't skipped on proper tyres (3C compound vs. dual compound on a lot of OEM bikes). Sure it's a cheap(ish) fix but it shouldn't need to be done on a pushbike that costs half what a small car does.
Dunno if the deal is still going on, but Chainreaction pays the duty tax on complete bikes. They did on mine a few weeks ago. Not sure if it's a limited time deal, or if they always do.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
To me this is what ALL top end mountainbike frames *should* cost.
Anything more is just taking the piss...

It's almost like most cyclists are gullible consumeristic morons.

Oh... wait
This makes a lot of sense...