Quantcast

Nukeproof Scalp questions

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I did a search here and didnt find much in the way of reviews or info on the Scalp. Does anyone have any time on one of these? How does the Vivid perform in comparison to the CCDB? Plow bike? Lively? I owned an El Cuervo years ago, and loved everything about it, besides the weight. This seems to be of similar design, weighing a bit less. Any info would be great. Thanks.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
Just got mine a week ago and running it with an RC4. So far I love it. The large is quite a bit longer than my 2009 medium glory, which is exactly what I was after.

Seems to be the faster you go the better it feels. Nice and quiet too. Hasn't done anything unpredictable off jumps, and seems to pop off things a little better than the old glory. Nice looking frame too (got it in raw). Attracts a bit of attention in the lift line :)

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Man, I also been digging and scratching for reviews. Lots of info but no reviews. I think this should be a more lively bike and have a fair bit of pop which is exactly what I am after. Chain stays are a little longer than I would like and the HA a little to slack for my local trails. HA I can fix but CS I cant. For the price I am finding it hard to say no:D
Then you see the new pulse proto and cant help but wanting to wait.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I have gotten in a full month of lift riding on mine and in comparison to my xl v10c it is a bit more lively as in easier to maneuver and it is not as stable but i would put that down to the severe difference in length. Overall i was really impressed by how comfortable i felt on it from the first run. I think it is what could be called a modern dh bike, it really behaves predictably and feels overall really good on everything.

Only really let down is wrenching on the linkage, some bolt can only be accessed by taking the linkage apart. Other than that it feels rock solid and for the price it cant be beaten imho.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Evil, how does it pedal when you put down the power? One of the main reasons I am looking to change out my DH frame is because it just sucks up energy when I am sprinting. I dont have the steepest trails and need to sprint into alot of jumps. I am beat half way down the coarse. When I run my 7" bike I really notice the difference. I figured the bike would be nice and maneuverable since its a SP and this should relay into popping of jumps, which is my main addiction. I understand its not a VPP or DW frame but I still need it to pedal well.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I guess it will be somewhat down to your pedaling technique and suspension setup but for what it is worth it feels like it pedaled better than my previous 2011 Demo 8. However it is no way near my v10 (even in 10' mode and setup plush) or my old Sunday but i guess that is to be expected. I have to give it some credit that due to a highish bb height (14') it will be a little easier to put down power when it is a little bumpy.

If your are looking for a fun bike that can handle anything, is a perfect allrounder and is quite cheap this is the right bike. I cant really fault it at the price i bought the frame, simply put, my v10c is overall better for me in every way but it is not 3 times better as that was the price difference but for me the v10c just feels perfect.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I ended up picking up a frame about a month ago. I had been watching the prices on Chain Reaction, and when the price for a large 2012 with a Vivid went to $1230 with free shipping, I couldn't pass it up. I got a chance to ride it on 3 of my local mountains. Coming off a Demo, there are definitely a few differences. The chain stays are noticeably longer. The Demo would manual/wheelie so much easier. The first time I went to lift my front wheel through a section, it felt like I was lifting a boat anchor. It took some getting used to, but it feels normal now. Jumping also took some getting used to and fiddling with the Vivid. Now that I have the shock set up right, it pops off jumps as well as the Demo. One thing I feel it does better than the Demo, is eat up the really rough stuff. I was actually surprised how much smoother the rear end was through nasty trails, especially square edge hits. That probably had something to do with the Vanilla RC on the Demo. Cornering feels very similar between the two, which both are very, very good. With the slightly higher bb on the Scalp, I'm hitting my pedals less, which is nice. I was constantly smashing them on my Demo. The bike is also silent, which I love. Overall, I'm very happy with it. I had been riding a Demo of some sort for the last 5 years, so it took some getting used to. The more I ride it, the more I love it.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
thanx for sharing guys been eyeballing this bike since i seen it in Decline a few months back and as it sits right now the Scalp is on the top of my lists for new frames ,and for those looking for more info go to pinkbike there is a 28pg thread on Nuke Proof bikes