Quantcast

Numb Hands

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
No changes to my bike (5010 gen 2) since last season, but at the end of last season and throughout the winter I started riding moto in the woods, bought a new house this spring and haven't ridden a whole hell of a lot. But the few times I have gotten out on the pedally bike my hands go numb, to the point where I can't tell if my fingers are actually on the brake levers when I need to use them. Again, no changes to the mountain bike. Only major thing I can think of is riding the dirt bike has me accustomed to being in a different position, and I haven't ridden much....

Any suggestions as far as fit on the MTB would go?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I would try a different handlebar, IMMO varying back- and upsweep have the most influence on numb hands. I always had the same problems when I was off the mtb for a while and only rode my road bike prior.

Mike87

Chimp
Aug 8, 2011
Hauser, Idaho
I have several MTB's and they each have a different riding position. I notice numb hands more on one than the other. I do believe that the riding position will have an affect on your numbness. On the bike where I am stretched out a bit more, there seems to be less numbing than the one that is a bit shorter. Take that for what it is worth.

I too ride off road motorcycles and suffer from numb hands on that as well. Some has to do with the fact that I shattered my right wrist when I was little and am still seeing the effects of it on my riding today (40 years later).

Oh crap, that made me feel really old.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Try to rotate the bar a couple degrees forth and back, that makes a difference for me. The combination of up/back sweep will make different parts of your wrist carry the weight at different angles.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I have several MTB's and they each have a different riding position. I notice numb hands more on one than the other. I do believe that the riding position will have an affect on your numbness. On the bike where I am stretched out a bit more, there seems to be less numbing than the one that is a bit shorter. Take that for what it is worth.

I too ride off road motorcycles and suffer from numb hands on that as well. Some has to do with the fact that I shattered my right wrist when I was little and am still seeing the effects of it on my riding today (40 years later).

Oh crap, that made me feel really old.
I get zero numbness on the moto, no problems last time I rode the DH bike, only on the XC, was never a problem before the moto, but I have way too much fun on it to give that up. I'll try to rotate bars a little, even thought about lifting them up a touch (both DH and XC bars feel low after riding the moto) and see if that helps at all.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Try to rotate the bar a couple degrees forth and back, that makes a difference for me. The combination of up/back sweep will make different parts of your wrist carry the weight at different angles.
It's gotta be this, I just can't figure out how to make the change. I stand mostly on the moto and DH bikes, and sit mostly on the trail bike, so gonna have to take a look at how much this is affecting the wrists.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
A few other ideas:
1. Fork due for service/run slightly lower front tire pressures. That low amplitude, high frequency vibration is a bitch.
2. In addition to messing with bars, I've gradually been raising my bar height and this has helped a bunch. Slammed bars are sweet for 4X but I end up putting a shitload of weight on my hands because I'm tall and have a long torso.
3. Try different grips. The ones that are contoured (thicker in the middle) make my hands go numb even though they feel awesome just holding them. I think it's basically cause it puts more pressure onto the little nerves in my hands and/or passes the vibrations to these areas more.
4. You are a year older...sucks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's gotta be this, I just can't figure out how to make the change. I stand mostly on the moto and DH bikes, and sit mostly on the trail bike, so gonna have to take a look at how much this is affecting the wrists.
if you're sitting mostly on the trail bike you might be putting too much weight on your hands. this happens to me if i'm sitting too long and putting too much weight up front (from being lazy).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
too much weight on the hands from saddle position, too much low speed compression damping over high speed small bumps, different (ergonomic) grips, lower tires pressures, bar sweep/rise, stem height.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
You are putting too much pressure on the nerve bundles in your hands. Riding the moto probably accelerated the damage which is why you notice it more. You need to figure out some way to reduce the pressure on those nerves, with some combination of bar sweep/rise (so the grips aren't pressing into those nerves), raising the bar/shortening the reach to reduce weight distribution through your hands or dispersing the force so it's not all sitting right on those nerve bundles (thicker grips, padded gloves etc).

Last edited:

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
With your eyes closed adjust the bars and just as importantly the brake levers to comfort in the predominate riding position. Most people set these things up based on graphics or what looks the coolest.

Or try and adjust for as little angle as possible from the shoulder to pointer finger on the brake lever.

In most cases both of these approaches will yield very similar results.

Is your fork packed full of volume reducers?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
My hands go numb climbing when my bars are rolled too far back, and they go numb while descending if the bars are rolled too far forward... and then once i get that dialed, i play with the brake levers to get my wrist from pinching nerves. Typically have to radjust everything a little each spring, FWIW.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What grips are you running and do you hold them on the ends or in the middle? I've got a stupid habit of holding onto the end of the bars (no matter what width) so that the outside lock sits in the fleshy part of my palm under the pinky finger. I was getting intermittent numbness on XC rides for awhile until I changed to a grip with a soft rubber outside flange (FUNN Hilt) instead of a metal lock collar.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
What grips are you running and do you hold them on the ends or in the middle? I've got a stupid habit of holding onto the end of the bars (no matter what width) so that the outside lock sits in the fleshy part of my palm under the pinky finger. I was getting intermittent numbness on XC rides for awhile until I changed to a grip with a soft rubber outside flange (FUNN Hilt) instead of a metal lock collar.
I have the same habit. Replaced with ergo grips that had small bar ends. Works great.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Padded gloves combined with 29" wheels made wonder for me yesterday: no numbness during a 2 hours ride!
Not completely sure about the importance of the wheel size yet...

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
ESI silicone grips and raising my lever's up like you see some of the French guys do , that made a huge difference on long decents . Grips helped and the levers added to it , between the two it's made my hands less numb and cramp free .

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
So she likes you in general?
You know, if you stopped attempting your little quips at me, id probably just ignore your dumbass. Seriously you've got to have the softest little feelings for a guy who lives in a glass house and throws stones....

I know you think you're cute, but really you're just annoying

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I'm a mechanic by trade, my hands go numb a lot while riding. I find that stretching my forearms onna regular basis helps a bunch. Also i run the 34mm esi grips, I'm considering trying a set of ergon grips to see if that provides additional relief.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I gave you real advice. Have the fucking surgery dickbag. I had carpet tunnel in both hands. It's been 2 years without issues. Fuck you if you your hands are numb. I hope they fall off.
You came back with a lame mom joke. I replied. YOUR feelings are hurt.

You know, if you stopped attempting your little quips at me, id probably just ignore your dumbass.

Seriously you've got to have the softest little feelings for a guy who lives in a glass house and throws stones....
Calling the kettle black? Rawrrrrr! Hahaha!
I know you think you're cute, but really you're just annoying
It's working!

Last edited:

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
yoga and all that shit.

The worst thing for me is long climbs. Relax you grip and flex.

On 20-30 min descents with lots of braking? At this point in my life, I might have to stop and recover.

I don't take this as a bad thing.. 15 yrs of moto, a lifetime of mtb. I cant complain

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Raised stem 10mm, bike felt kinda shitty at first. Didn't feel like I could corner as well, but after 15 miles on one of our rougher Moreno technical trails tonight I had barely any numbness, felt a little shitty for a minute but rode thru it :thumb:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Single inner lock transition house brand grips. A touch thicker than I used it use, but been using these for almost 3 seasons now, I usually grip mostly in the middle of the grip. I do notice a touch more pressure on my outer parts of hand, going to take a look at decreasing sweep if needed.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my hands started falling askeep at night, while driving, while riding a few years back. my circulation has always sucked. doing shoulder loosening exercises seems to have helped improve blood flow to my arms...but maybe your numbness problem is something different? just a thought.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I do have shitty shoulders and my neck is a bit tweaked, haven't been doing my shoulder pt recently, will also pick that back up

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Almost forgot, OURY grips. Yes, they are a bit thicker and that's one reason they work for me. But the first reason is the grippy rubber. Even back to my old moto days, I always felt Oury's grip my hand back, if that makes sense.

The grippy rubber and the extra thickness mean I don't have to wrap my hand as small or as tight. This helps me a lot.

Also, in general, yoga. I would be curled up in fetal position on the floor without it. For athletes that take hits and use their whole body, Yoga or something like it is crucial to longevity. Start now.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Going to the Odi Rogue grips helped a lot for me. Although I still get that pain in my thumb joint as if I don't have enough backsweep.