Quantcast

nutritional needs during and after exercise

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm curious what type of nutrition is best during and after a workout. When I say during a workout, I generally mean during a long ride.

I will usually stop every 90 minutes or so for an energy bar of some sort. In the past, I've looked for energy bars with high carbs, some protein, and low fat. I really like the Snickers Marathon bars... definitely the best tasting bar I've had, 27g carbs, 12g protein. They are higher in fat than a some other energy bars, but it's not saturated (but I'm not sure if it's trans or mono/poly) so I let it slide.

After a good ride or a hard workout at the gym, I usually turn to something with more protein and less carbs... often times a protein shake... something like 40g protein and 25g carbs.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
it looks like you have the right idea, for the post workout you might want to increase the carbs a bit, since it is the carbs that are used to replace the glycogen you depleted, maltodextrin is the best type of carb to consume post workout.

For the snickers bar, if it has trans fatty acid, avoid it like the plague. Trans fatty acid, or hydrogenated, or partially hydrogenated oils are horrible for you, they are worse for your body than saturated fat, so check the ingredients and if you see the words hydrogentated, or partially hydrogenated oils, stop eatin the bar.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by bbmj
Trans fatty acid, or hydrogenated, or partially hydrogenated oils are horrible for you, they are worse for your body than saturated fat, so check the ingredients and if you see the words hydrogentated, or partially hydrogenated oils, stop eatin the bar.
Ah, buggers, I forgot that the presense of hydrogenated oils indicated Trans fats - thanks for the reminder. Sure enough... Partially Hydrogenated soybean oil is number 2 on the list. Damn... no wonder they tasted so good.

Back to powerbars I guess.