Quantcast

>)o(< Free die GMT >)o(<

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
People who drive slow, unpredictably and without paying attention to others are orders of magnitude more dangerous than those who are observant of their surroundings, can read the traffic and drive fast.
But please keep the fast-driving to the highways. Don't be doing 60 down city/suburban surface streets. That shit happens around here all the time.

Oh and my favorite part is people who don't know the rules and give way when they should not, confusing everyone, i.e. at traffic circles.
Don't get me started. And it's not just traffic circles. Stop signs seem to confuse people. As do other cars turning. WTF, people? It's a goddam shitshow out there...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Guy I work with has been a guide/nerd here for ~20 years, let me know if you need tips.
my friend who i'm planning the trip with has a good friend from high school who lives there and is a full time guide, so we've got a hookup for sure. we might also include a side trip to yellowstone while we're there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But please keep the fast-driving to the highways. Don't be doing 60 down city/suburban surface streets. That shit happens around here all the time.

Don't get me started. And it's not just traffic circles. Stop signs seem to confuse people. As do other cars turning. WTF, people? It's a goddam shitshow out there...
our neighborhood is 25mph. we have a LOT of young kids that are always outside playing. people routinely do 40+. part of me has considered a rogue speedbump or 6.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I kinda feel punishments for traffic violations should be stepped up.... Like first offense can be a fine, maybe raise the amounts, second one becomes a driving restriction, third is loss of license all together, fourth in mandatory jail time....... Sorry if anyone does not like this, but the most frequently broken laws in the us are traffic laws. People just don't give two shits about other people's safety and that pisses me off (probably more so now for the same reason as Jon, the toddler with me).

A speed limit is just that, it is the maximum speed for that area..... Not a minimum. If you want a limit raised, get signatures and put it on your local ballot.

If you don't know how to use a traffic circle, then stay out of them.

If you are too impatient to wait for a passing lane.... Get the fuck off the road.

Remember people, driving is a privaledge, not a right.

Oh and for whoever it was that got a ticket for 65 in the 45.... You should man up and pay your fine instead of attempting to skirt it down to something else. In your words, it used to be a 55 zone, so even then, you were already speeding....... Zones change, speed limits change, it is the drivers responsibility to keep up with those changes...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
my friend who i'm planning the trip with has a good friend from high school who lives there and is a full time guide, so we've got a hookup for sure. we might also include a side trip to yellowstone while we're there.
WTH "might" - there is no "might"... :disgust1:

Just make sure to not go between 9am and 3pm. Shoulder-times are your friend at Yellowstone in the summer.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If you make it to Yellowstone let me know, I am just up the road, and Madison brewery is a block away from me..... Their oatmeal stout is amazing

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
<snip>
Oh and for whoever it was that got a ticket for 65 in the 45.... You should man up and pay your fine instead of attempting to skirt it down to something else. In your words, it used to be a 55 zone, so even then, you were already speeding....... Zones change, speed limits change, it is the drivers responsibility to keep up with those changes...
We've got two pretty long stretches of road near me that recently (last couple years) were changed from 45 to 55. Guess what? Lotsa people STILL don't know it went up, so we have gobs of people puttering along at 45. Which is fine... IF YOU STAY IN THE GODDAM RIGHT LANE. Which, as you can imagine, they don't. :D

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
We've got two pretty long stretches of road near me that recently (last couple years) were changed from 45 to 55. Guess what? Lotsa people STILL don't know it went up, so we have gobs of people puttering along at 45. Which is fine... IF YOU STAY IN THE GODDAM LEFT LANE. Which, as you can imagine, they don't. :D
You mean the right lane? Most places in good ol merica the slow stays right. Ten under should not be a problem, again, speed limit, not requirement

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We've got two pretty long stretches of road near me that recently (last couple years) were changed from 45 to 55. Guess what? Lotsa people STILL don't know it went up, so we have gobs of people puttering along at 45. Which is fine... IF YOU STAY IN THE GODDAM LEFT LANE. Which, as you can imagine, they don't. :D
:ban:

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
have you tried paying attention and not driving like a wanker?

hate to be harsh, but my attitudes towards driving have changed a lot now that i'm routinely driving around with an infant and a toddler.
Uh, don' t think I was driving like a wanker. Like I said the speed limit was recently changed with only one new sign put up. It was a four lane with a center divided flat country highway. Now that I do actually go 45 in this area I routinely almost get run over by other people.

People who drive slow, unpredictably and without paying attention to others are orders of magnitude more dangerous than those who are observant of their surroundings, can read the traffic and drive fast.
^This. Or people too busy talking on their cell phones or fussing with shit in their vehicle (kids included). I think one ticket in all my years driving justifies a Wanker Free driving style.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Uh, don' t think I was driving like a wanker. Like I said the speed limit was recently changed with only one new sign put up. It was a four lane with a center divided flat country highway. Now that I do actually go 45 in this area I routinely almost get run over by other people.
my general rule for these kinds of roads is "don't be the fastest person in view". there's a 6 lane divided highway i take to work. limit is 55, people are rarely under 65. i routinely see people doing 80+ on it.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Uh, don' t think I was driving like a wanker. Like I said the speed limit was recently changed with only one new sign put up. It was a four lane with a center divided flat country highway.
You get nailed on 280? I think the driving around Asheville is the most batshit of anywhere I've been. 1/3 demented Floridians who are lost and going 20 under while weaving, 1/3 transplants/tourists going 20 over and weaving, 1/3 drunk and/or meth'd out rednecks doing who in the hell knows what. All that on roads that appear to have been designed by my 3 year old after a pixie stix bender.... @Dirtrider should be the very least of anyone's concern.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
You get nailed on 280? I think the driving around Asheville is the most batshit of anywhere I've been. 1/3 demented Floridians who are lost and going 20 under while weaving, 1/3 transplants/tourists going 20 over and weaving, 1/3 drunk and/or meth'd out rednecks doing who in the hell knows what. All that on roads that appear to have been designed by my 3 year old after a pixie stix bender.... @Dirtrider should be the very least of anyone's concern.
Yep. 280 in Mills River by the Uber Ingles.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

Some Navy pilot is in trouble now. :rofl:
2/10 - a real artist would have done the entire dickbutt

ready to get the heck outta here, get dinner with relatives passing through town over, have a beer or three, and go to sleep! feel like i can't wake up, despite much coffee. maybe it's partly because i forgot to put my contacts in, so the world seems a little blurry!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
20 over. Speed limit used to be 55 and was recently lowered to 45. Mandatory court date. I didn't need a lawyer but for $150 lawyer fee figured it was worth it to not have tot show up. Hopefully get it reduced to improper equipment and no points.
Most likely that's what will happen. The whole thing is a scam. The fine was probably only $30, but the rest goes to the court and an attorney. Get caught speeding in NC and it'll cost about $400 for it not to affect your insurance. Just try not to get pulled in that county again.

Also, don't buy an orange car. Cops love it like magnets, do some shit or something...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Today did not go as planned.

I was one of those nerd bystanders as the interwebs LEEERRRRROYYYY JENKINNSSSSSSSS'd me.

Cracking the first of several beers tonight. Perhaps I'll even get around to taking this Pike apart.

Tomorrow looks like dog piss rain all day. I think I will go buy a new rake and clear some of the local low-key DH trails. And then give the Turner DHR one last go this year.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
With 17.5 miles spent on the trails today, I don't have much to complain about. Possibly with the exception that I likely blew the air spring seals in the fork again. :bonk: