Quantcast

~~<o>~~Get up and go climb some mountains~~<o>~~

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Mornin’ primates.

Stayed in a hostel in Hiawassee last night for resupply and stuff. Got to push hard for the next three days to get to Franklin by Saturday at 6:00pm when the outfitter closes to pick up my tent that was shipped to them.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
panera bread has taken plain croissants and hot chocolate off their menu...

go fuck yourself panera.

#whitepeopleproblems.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
:nerd:

annnnd....supposed to see teenage fanclub tonight....

50/50....

just want to sleep....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ello gubner

absolutely exhausted last night. Maybe it was the early morning ride, maybe it’s the long commutes, maybe it’s the 50ish miles in the last two days, but I was zonked. Slept really well and am trying to get my shit together this morning for more of the same, I guess.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
up at 0500, left shoulder acted up last night which led to crappy sleep. Dogs were pisses that they didn't get fed a 4am TFB for them, I wasn't getting up.

Espresso then off I go to the rat race. I get to take the vehicle with the new engine and do 200 or so break in miles on it. crossing my fingers that it works as planned.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Woke at 5ish because I'd drilled through a pipe in the radiant floor heating in my dream, thankfully fell back asleep until just after 6. Still got a nagging thought at the back of my mind about it now...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Pantera bread :rockout:

Panera bread :disgust1:

Today's gmt thread is brought to you by our friends at 504 Gateway and Timeout House.

My day is scheduled like this:

Coffee
Ridemonkey
Work
Ridemonkey
Work
Coffee
Lunch
Ridemonkey
Work
Undecided, but perhaps post work nap
Shed
Tacos
Sleep

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Rain today, so our ski day may be a short one, which is fine because I am TIRED. We skied almost a full day yesterday and got a bunch of non-groomed runs in. By 3:00 my legs were too tired to deal with the sticky mush on the bottom half of the mountain, so we called it a day.

This is Wife skiing in the bowl off the Powder Seeker lift. We did seven runs here. I had fun traversing all the way across the top of the bowl and dropping in on the far side. The fully exposed chutes in the background are triple blacks when they are open, accessible by taking a different lift and hiking up to. That seems like a lot of work, and beyond my skill and comfort level as a skier.

440368712_10229183925536348_8947177582917206304_n.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Our negotiations are getting interesting

View attachment 210880
Google recommended this article to me this morning: https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/24/in-the-us-they-think-were-communists-the-70000-workers-showing-the-world-another-way-to-earn-a-living
sharing for a little inspiration? good luck with the negotiations...

as for me: sunny and cold today. ride night. tired for whatever reason. elbow and back are not 100% but I wonder if they ever will be. will ride regardless. we're riding from a buddy's house, and he has a hot tub to soothe post-ride pain. I can always turn back early if I'm not up to it yet... work is also busy, so I better get to it.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Speaking of negotiations, girlwifefriend was on strike yesterday and again today. She works for the SAQ which is our provincial booze seller.

Me, waiting for our window company to come and replace a faulty thermos.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Just about got the houseplans ready to send off to an architect, spent the day yesterday using the transit to nail down every square ounce of buildable ground on the property. overall I am surprised at how much pad I was able to recover.

blasting off the seasoning on the blackstone and starting from scratch now the weather is getting warmer.

that is all

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
howdy all

gonna be reading ultrasounds from the hospital in a bit

but for now reading ultrasounds from home while wife drops off elder kids at school. youngest still home, today with pinkeye

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Taking Hannah to her first therapy meeting today to see if we can help with her ADHD emotional amplification using selfcontrol instead of drugs.

Huge financial industry change yesterday. DOL requiring that all financial professionals who are paid to give advice under retirement plans to be fiduciaries. It effectively wipes out the "best interest" requirement, which means that you just have to believe that you are working to their best interest (even if it potentially costs them more for a net result). Fiduciary is a much higher standard. I'm a huge fan of this. I've been complaining about this for years.

DOL Releases Final Rule Defining Fiduciaries

The rule defines fiduciaries as any finance professional who is paid to give advice to retirement plan participants, individual retirement account owners and plan officials responsible for administering plans and managing their assets.

By Kathleen Laverty|April 24, 2024

The Department of Labor released its long-awaited fiduciary rule yesterday defining which retirement-savings advisors will carry the designation.

The final version of the so-called Retirement Security Rule extends the definition of investment advice under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, or Erisa, to include any financial services professionals who are paid for advice they give to retirement plan participants, individual retirement account owners and plan officials responsible for administering plans and managing their assets.

The rule will take effect on Sept. 23 and will "protect the millions of workers who... rely on advice from trusted professionals on how to invest their savings," the government said in a statement.

The final rule requires investment advice providers to give "prudent, loyal, honest advice free from overcharges." Fiduciaries must adhere to "high standards of care and loyalty when they recommend investments and avoid recommendations that favor the investment advice providers' interests – financial or otherwise – at the retirement savers' expense," the DOL said.

Financial institutions that oversee investment advice providers must have policies and procedures in place to manage conflicts of interest and ensure the new guidelines are followed, the rule states.

The final rule recognizes that investment professionals deserve to be paid fairly while also preventing them "from putting their interests before their clients," the DOL said.

The rule also aims to ensure that investment professionals "can compete for business on a level playing field, instead of being hindered by a skewed system in which different standards exist for advice providers based on the products they recommend," the Labor Department said.

The change updates the almost 50-year-old definition of investment advice fiduciary. The current rule was adopted in 1975 when individual retirement accounts were less common and before the existence of 401(k) plans.

"The investment landscape has changed, the retirement landscape has changed, and it is critical that our regulations are responsive to those changes," Assistant Secretary for Employee Benefits Security Lisa Gomez said in the statement.

"This rule protects the retirement investors from improper investment recommendations and harmful conflicts of interest," Acting Secretary of Labor Julie Su said in the statement. "Retirement investors can now trust that their investment advice provider is working in their best interest and helping to make unbiased decisions."

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
Huge financial industry change yesterday. DOL requiring that all financial professionals who are paid to give advice under retirement plans to be fiduciaries. It effectively wipes out the "best interest" requirement, which means that you just have to believe that you are working to their best interest (even if it potentially costs them more for a net result). Fiduciary is a much higher standard. I'm a huge fan of this. I've been complaining about this for years.

This is definitely excellent news. To expect that the lay investor would even *know* what "fiduciary" means is a huge leap.

I know... why do I hate the Free Market, right? Caveat emptor and all that. :rolleyes: