Quantcast

O.K, Kids, What Mods Can Be Done To Improve ‘19 Fox 36?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Thanks for those details. I'll definitely keep that in mind. For now I think I need to do the GRIP mods discussed in this thread to eliminate the stack preload (via a small diameter shim between the piston and face shim in the base valve) and file some bleed in the face shim.
You will like that but I came up with something different that seems to work well on grip 2
Should also work on grip 1
With filed shim for lsc

dartroom

Chimp
Jan 13, 2024
You will like that but I came up with something different that seems to work well on grip 2
With filed shim for lsc
I recently tried tuning my F38 Grip1 E-tuned damper. I decided to try your method with a two-stage stack. I didn't add any LSC bleeding. I marked the point where the adjuster seals the face shim on the piston and from that moment I adjust the damping. Surprisingly, the crossover shim results in greater adjustment resolution. Stock shim stack allows the adjustment to go from no support to harsh with one click.
My configuration looks like this:

Piston
13.6mm x 0.1
13.6mm x 0.1
8mm x 0.1 (it was supposed to be 10mm but in the Fox documentation there is an error in the number and this is the shim I received)
13.6mm x 0.1
13mm x 0.1
12mm x 0.1
9.5mm x 0.1

I now use an adjustment of about 40 degrees more from the point where the face shim touches the piston. The first two shims are under tension and are touching the rest of the shim stack which are not under tension.

I'm also thinking about a one-stage shim stack, but with a notched face shim for LSC bleeding. I would probably need to stiffen the shim stack so that I don't have to add tension. I will test

Last edited:

dartroom

Chimp
Jan 13, 2024
After trying with a crossover shim stack, I decided that I didn't have enough damping overall, so I started experimenting with a single stage shim stack. I stiffened the stack until I ended up with this configuration:
Piston
13.6x0.1 (shim with delicate notched for LSC bleed)
14.0x0.15
14.0x0.15
13.6x0.1
12.0x1.5
The stack is much stiffer, but I still have the impression that it is too soft. Generally, Grip1 reacts very strongly to preload, I know, I'm wondering whether to choose a tactic, a bit more LSC bleed and a bit more preload. The amount of LSC bleed can be easily checked by locking the shimstack with the knob. I will get a degressive curve with a knee when the shimstack cracks. Adding preload without lsc bleed causes no.compilance with small bumps and harsh.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
With filed shim for lsc
Hey englertracing, care to share your latest findings? I got a Grip cartridge on my Element and like everyone else struggle to find a balance between jackhammer and no comp damping. Or should I directly go down the Grip2 VVC comp assembly route and tune that one?
The mk.1 Grip2 with the additional 0.1 shim in the concave piston turned out pretty good for me.