Quantcast

O/T Question...

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Anyone here into Electronic Music?

I know Stosh is but anyone else?

I spin Chillout and Deep/Funky House but I'm a fan of just about all Electonic Music...

Anyone else?

Tom

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
I'm playing at a party at the end of this month with Grooverider and Goldie headlining the DnB Room.

I also did the lighting and Lasers for the Planet of the Drums Tour (Dieselboy, AK1200, and Dara) in Syracuse, NY.

Good stuff.

Tom

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by Tom Church
I'm playing at a party at the end of this month with Grooverider and Goldie headlining the DnB Room.

I also did the lighting and Lasers for the Planet of the Drums Tour (Dieselboy, AK1200, and Dara) in Syracuse, NY.

Good stuff.

Tom
Sweet dude! "Soldier's Story" is a rippin disc. I came up on the Hardkiss Bros. and the Ninja and Shadow crews' stuff back in the day....I still love the music, but I'm pretty much done with the scene.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
I don't go out nearly as much as I used to...(been going out for 9 years total now), but I do still spin occasionally and every so often I throw a small party for my friends...

Ninja Tune stuff is my fave...I catufally got to see Coldcut play live a few years back...Jazzanova and Kid Koala where there as well. Mr. Scruff has got to be my fav DJ of all time though...lol...

Tom

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Basically I hate computer generated beats but I can listen to things like Combustication by MMW all day long... it has DJ Logic on it who uses a lot of electronic sounding stuff... and JM uses a lot of synth so I guess that would make it semi electronic. But everything is done live and on the spot so you get that connection between musicians that you dont really get with pure techno. A lot of dub is cool, but then again a lot of times the beat is not purely electronic.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
I don't get that argument...why can't isn't a synthesizer considered an instrument by so many people...

You take a waveform generated by an osillator (be it a Saw tooth or square or other form) and mold it, filter it, modify it to create sound...just like an electric guitar picks up the different waveforms that come from the strings.

The synthesizer gives the musician endless possiblities to create unique sounds.

As for drums...it's not supposed to sound like real drums...thats the point...but they are the same way as the synthesizer...you use and modify waveforms to create the drum sound you want...

It gives the musician COMPLETE freedom to create the sounds that he/she wants...

Thats why people like pink floyd used Synths so much...(they also used a fair amount of electronic drumming). Think of Dark Side of the Moon.

Dance electronc Music just has a constant beat (note that all Electronic Music is not EDM). It has to...all dance music has a constant beat...in fact most rock does as well...Also mushc EDM is not really ment to be listened to on your car stereo or on headphones...it's part of the experience at a rave or club...ie the lights the lasers, projection screens, the 50,000 watts of sound, your supposed to just loose yourself into the music and dance...forget about everything else and just concentrate on the beat...

It's very tribal...similar to the way that tribes in africa, south america, and even this country sit with people playng drums and various instruments...it's all about the beat...it sounds boring onthe surface, but listen closer and you hear a lot more complexity to the beat...little things that change...sublte additions or subtractions to the beat...sleight changes in the sound of the drum, etc...

Different music for different people...as far as I'm concerned County is possibly the worst music out there...except maybe for soft rock...

Tom

BTW...there is a lot of good rap...just not what you hear on the radio or MTV...there are a lot of rappers who have very intelligent lyrics...

Rap is not ment to be compared to singing...more to spoken word poetry...they are not trying to sing (most anyways).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My old room mate does some cool stuff. He just started last year doing it full time and also does sound and lighting production for local gigs. His work is incredible, the newer stuff is great.

We converted the basement of the house we used to rent into a full sound stage, so all the stuff he did there sounds sweet. He does all his own stuff off an old linux box, good times. Check it out, he has great samples on his site:
Spectre VII

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I sort of latched onto Thievery Corporation after I moved to the DC area - any of the 18th St. Lounge stuff really. Following that I've been listening to stuff from dZihan & Kamien, Towa Tei, throw in a little Crystal Method, some EZ-Rollers, Black Star Liner (thanks to fellow :monkey: Stiff). I especially like stuff with lounge, bossa nova, and world beat flavor.