Quantcast

O7' @ Silver Mtn.

Mach_9o

Chimp
May 11, 2007
Born and Raised North Idaho
Yo. Just putting it out for anyone interested or having any questions trying to decide where they want to race/ride this summer. Here be a schedule of our race series for the season. If anyone has any questions/comments/or constructive suggestions about the series, coarse, events, or just about any thing else you could imagine about Silver Mountain riding e-mail me (check profile) or post to thread. I'll get an answer for you. Thanks again. looking to make this season the best yet at Silver.

All Sunday Downhill Mountain Bike Series races, Collect in-house points to win the series. $$ and prizes for series winners. Buy a series pass for $25 (save $5) or enter each race individualy for $5-a-pop. (does not include Silveroxx or Knobby Tire races)

Sunday, May 27
Sunday Race Series #1
First race of season. Registration in Village plaza 8:30-9:30, Race starts @ 11:30. Race from 5 points through "Spooky Woods" (look out for Sasquatch) and end at bottom of Alahambra.

Sunday, June 10
Sunday Race Series #2
Registration in Village Plaza 8:30-9:30
Short DH on Jackass, 2 run format, best of.

Sunday, June 17
Knobby Tire Series
Downhill Mountain bike race. Sanctioned by USA Cycling Mountain Bike (NORBA). Top to Bottom Downhill MTB race. 16-19 min of nonstop mostly singletrack. Part of Knobby Tire Series. Full details, fees, and series info @ www.knobbytire.org

Sunday, June 24
Sunday Race Series #3
Registration Village Plaza 8:30-9:30. Stay tuned for race specifics.

Saturday and Sunday. July 7 & 8
SILVEROXX Downhill Mountain Bike Festival.
Saturday: Short DH (Jam format), and Wheel Sport East Dirt Jump Comp. (Bit-o-luv for you dirt jumpers out there) BBQ and live music in plaza.
Sunday: Enduro Downhill. Stay tuned for race specifics.

Sunday, July 22
Sunday Race Series #4
Registration 8:30-9:30 in Village Plaza. Super D race. Stay tuned for race specifics.

Sunday, August 5
Sunday Race Series #5
Stay tuned for race specifics

Sunday, August 26
Sunday Race Series #6
Stay tuned for race specifics.

shuttlefever

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Enumclaw Wa.
So hows the DH riding for those of us that are not racers??? I just want to go ride there. I heard the trails are really long with not too much technical stuff. Tell us more about silver mountain!

Mach_9o

Chimp
May 11, 2007
Shuttlefever: The riding is great for nonracers. I dont race myself but love the ride down after busting in some new trail or features. the trails are good and long with multiple options and more to come. WE have a plan to build 5 more miles this season. as for technical stuff we are spicing up sections of trail here and there to keep your attention. We have a northshore style section up top "log Jam'n" and table and rollers scattered throughout. everythiong is designed to be rollable or have a go around. If you must commit to a feature it is signed accordingly. The upper trails "Jackass/Hammer" seem to get a lot of attention. Theey are loaded with burms, tables, step ups, drops, options. Its a blast before you begin the big decent just outside ski area boudries. We are planning to run Chair 3 so riders can session the upper trails without needing to drop all 4K feet to town and jump on the gondola for a ride up. Any other questions?

downhillracer: The coarse will be open for riding Saturday. Also many riders take advantage of the time between registration and 11:30 race start to run the coarse. At these times there is also other public on the trails so it is not a true "practice run". Be aware of their presence.

Thanks for the replies guys. More info coming soon. Hit me back if I left you hanging on anything.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
So the trails will be closed to non-racers on Sundays? You can only ride recreationally on Saturdays? ( or did I miss something?)

gg

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Should only be the trail(s) that constitute the race course - - for the safety of both the rec. riders and the racers.

Although, as in the past, racers, expect to encounter non-racers anyway.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Alright, whos going and has room for 1 more? My g/f can't go and needs the Jeep so I'll need a ride from the Tacoma/Seattle area. I'm available to leave after 3am Saturday morning and need to be back Tuesday morning. Of course I'd share cost in whatever.... food, gas, lodging...

Mach_9o

Chimp
May 11, 2007
Alright everybody. thanks for posting and you interest. Just updating a couple things then i'll get onto your questions. First up the race #3 of the Silver Mountain series will be .... "CHAINLESS" You know without your chain... Secondly and let me specify that this is just a possible event we are in the works of trying to add to the Silveroxx event. In addition to Saturday and Sundays events, we are looking into having a Dual Slalom race Friday July 6th. Once again this is not 100% sure yet, but we would like to make it happen.
Now to the questions:
Downhillracer: This sundays coarse will run from 5 points. (about mid-mountain) along some of our best single and double track through "Spooky Woods, very fast "Wide Open", down through everyones favorite "Frog Trees" and lastly out the botttom of Alahambra. Little to no uphill except for a couple hundred feet in spooky woods and a very short peddal up and accross the cemetary road to hit the last piece of trail to the finish.
Geargrrl:We are open to nonracers all weekend every weekend but will have the coarses flagged and coarse martials on scene to help keep non-racers off the coarse during race time.
SnowboardinWA: All lift access. Gondola will be running from 9:30 to 4:00 pm. As far as chair three running for this sunday I am not sure. I'll get back to you. (Sundays coarse is well below anything you may access by Chair 3 anyway)

Thanks again. lets keep it up and spread the word.
syched to see you all up here this weekend.

Mach_9o

Chimp
May 11, 2007
update on my last post. Regretfully our dual slalom idea was shot down. better luck next year. Good luck finding a ride SnowboardingWA, hope to see you here. Also as for Chair 3, it will not run this weekend. Dirt is sweet up here so dig in.
Late

timmy77

Chimp
May 24, 2007
Hey Fellow Monkeys,
I apologize for the following rant as I think Silver Mountain has the best lift assisted trail network in the Spokane/N. Idaho area and I have been riding these trails for the last 5 years and have seen them get better each year. That being said, some things just piss me off about how the trails have been progressing and would like to offer some feedback based on my experiences and other fellow racers/riders.
First, take a look at how to build a quality jump. Ever since the first Silveroxx, people have been going ass-over-tea kettle on almost every jump on the mountain. Almost every rider complains that the lips are way to short and steep for downhill bikes. These jumps would be perfect if you were on a BMX going 10mph, but on a full DH sled when you are hauling ass, the lips are just plain dumb. When you have pro DH racers being flipped over their handlebars due to a jump that is way too shallow, take a hint. Bigger jumps with more dirt would help this problem a bunch. Please dont build jumps that send your seat up over your handlebars....We pay for season passes and daily gondola passes and deserve better.
Second, stupid wood features at the bottom of wide open! You tore them down last year but did not use the wood to make bridges over the perpetual mud bogs in the frog trees that kill everyones flow! How many times do you have to have your flow killed by 8 inches of standing mud and water in a DH trail on a 90 degree day?
Lastly, the increasing season pass/daily pass cost. With all the extra revenue brought in by the new condos and the new development, why raise the cost of the mtb passes when the features/trails still need work? When paying for a season pass, we do not expect to have to push downed trees out of the trail or fix holes/berms ourselves. Nor should we have to put up with "closed" trails every sunday as races are happening! Immagine a family driving up from seatlle for the weekend to ride the trails, only to find out that all the good stuff is closed all day due to a race? At least provide another DH run to get you to the trail of the coeur d' alenes so you don't have to poach the race course.
The mountain used to offer free summer passes to folks that would help maintain trails on Wednesday evenings but has since stopped this practice and this is very discouraging. Some of the best trail improvements were done by locals that were there for fun of it and to make the mountain better.
I am not trying to whine or complain too much as the crew up there has consistantly busted their asses and I enjoy all of the hard work that has been put in over the past 3 years. I also know that resources are scarce and that the trails have to be re-built each year. All we ask is for you to spend an additional 20 minutes shaping each feature so that newbies to the sport dont get killed and that seasoned DH riders can experience more flow!

Rant Over

Mach_9o

Chimp
May 11, 2007
Timmy 77. Thank you for being faithful to the mountain and understanding the program is still young (*about 3 years with this crew.) Also thank you for seeing the gradual, albeit slow, progress being made. You hit the nail on the head, mentioning our resources being short. We do what we can with what we've got. The first two issues, being jump construction and perpetual mud holes, are well noted and are undergoing improvement. We hope to see you this weekend. Track us down and let us know what you think. As for an alternate DH route to the trail of the Coeur d' Alenes, we have trails flagged that are waiting on the final approval of the BLM. Once approved, we will do what we can to provide a good product as soon as possible. Unfortunately with every 1/4 mile of trail, there is a mile of red tape to cut through. We have, in our plan, to add trails, beginner to expert, top to bottom. This will take some time, with resources what they are. Hang in there, with a strong riding community and positive support, it's only going to get better. Unfortunately, in our position, we have no sway on the price of season/daily passes. You will be glad to hear though, that we are in the process of drafting up a volunteer trail crew program, similar to the one in the past. Once again, with corporate America the way it is today, the requirements for volunteers to work for the mountain are more strict. If anyone is interested in the program, let us know. In closing, thanks again for your comments, and hope to see you on the mountain soon. Track me down, we'll enjoy a cold one and talk about how we can improve the mountain. Take care!

Mach_9o

Chimp
May 11, 2007
yello. sorry to leave ya'll hanging for a couple days. Just enjoying the memorial day weekend and getting some concrete answers for you folks with questions.
GG: The requirements are as follows for persons interested in being involved in Silver Mountains Volenteer Trail Crew. ( I dont make the rules just live to die by em, or is it die to live by em?...) You must complete a regular job application and an applicant survey. Applications are available in the admin office, at the gondola base. After application there is the palm pilot test also available same day. Lastly is the UA or urin analisis/wiz quize/drug test. This UA will be conducted here in the Silver Valley. You are only elligable for the UA and final acceptace to the volenteer crew after approval from Otis E or myself Elijah S. (dont worry we'll accept just about anyone). you must contact us in advance of the date you would like to take the UA. Let us know youre name, age, and when you will be into the office so that our office personel can set up the papers. Our approval is not necessary for the application or applicant survey. You must be 18 to opperate power tools on the crew. We accept applicants as young as 15 yoa. Personal insurace is not secessary. We will train and supply tools and materials. We will meet on a weekly basis, the day is TBA. The program will begin as soon as there is a crew to work with. Any questions? E-mail me or reply to this message. Oh yea one more thing. Volenteers regularly showing up at weekly work days recieve a FREE O7 SUMMER SEASON PASS.
Kanter "Are the trails dry now?" Dry of rain?... Yes, off and on. typical Memorial Day weekend. Beautifull weather and torential downpours. Dry of snow?... Finally. Just finnished busting a ridable path accross upper Alahambra today. Wish the sun could have helped me out a bit more there. For as hot as it's been latley, there was still tons of snow to move! It will be open this weekend.
DHRacer: The race went pretty well. we hoped to see a few more riders out. Ok a lot more riders would have been nice, but strong morning showers chased a few away. In all we had 15 racers register and 14 raced. The rain was dumping all morning and the trails were super slick. Everyone was slipping and sliding around every turn and loving it. Obviously no record times this weekend but a lot of big muddy smiles at the finish. True to North Idaho form as soon as the race was over the sun came out and after awards a few of us hits the trails again just as the water cleared off, the the dirt was nice and tacky, except for the slick turn or two that got your attention REAL quick. Race results and point standing will be available at silvers website www. silvermt . com very soon. Hope to see a few more faces at next weeks race on Jackass.
Thanks

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
UA for trail crew? There goes more than 1/2 the good trail builders right there :). Is that why most of the jumps are not very safe?

SJ10

Chimp
Dec 11, 2004
Elijah,

How are the upper trails in general (Hammer and Jackass)? It sounds like the snow has held up rebuilding of some trails and I wanted to make sure they were open before I make the trip over. Thanks.

SJ

Mach_9o

Chimp
May 11, 2007
sorry catnuts, what can you do? Its a crazy sue-happy californized world we're living in and the mountain and everyone else for that matter need to watch any liabilities that may bite them later. Again "I dont make the rules," it is what is is. We're working on the jump thing to, thanks.

SJ10.. yea the winter was sweet. sweet enough that there was a TON of snow to move this spring and it did delay construction on the upper trails. I just finished clearing upper Alahambra enough to ride, but it is still a little rocky. All of jackass is open and in great shape, including log jam'n. The upper section of the Hammer above Boondoggle Rd is still snowed in. The rest of the Hammer where you can transition over the berm from Jackass into the Hammer, 3 turns (approx) up from Mr. Lilly, is rebuilt, all the way down to where it merges with Jackass again near the bottom of chair 5. Last years big step up next to Mr. Lilly is replaced by a long table. Other than that it is mostly the same. hope this answers you question. If not hit me back. Hope to see you then this weekend.

PS. Otis met with BLM today and got approval to start building the new section from the bottom of spooky woods out to well below the powerline. This will be the brunt of the new trail we hope to build this summer. We are ordering a machine so that we may start the dirt work. Once we break ground there will be plenty of work for anyone who wants to get involved as a volenteer.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
what are the trails like that are used for the races? The third race on that list says 16-19 minute dh:eek::eek:. Are they all like this or are they real dh races? Thinking about making the long journey up there from portland one of these weekends.

shuttlefever

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
Enumclaw Wa.
Hey Mach, you got a good review from a local rider that went over there mem day weekend. Hes not a hardcore DH guy but enjoyed the riding none the less. If i can manage to poop some time, I will be making the trek over there to check it out!! Keep the trail reports coming!! By the way, I would like to ride some kinda techy stuff like Whistlers' "devils club" or "smoke and mirrors" or "shleyer" are there any trails that would kinda compare?? I know your not Whistler, but I do get a bit tired of the "rock star" riders and the attitudes up there. I like to ride techy stuff and have a relaxing beer afterwards. Whaddya got???

Mach_9o

Chimp
May 11, 2007
elRey: We just have the one super long dh scheduled in the sunday race series. all other races are shorter. we like to put the big one in at least once a year. top to bottom 4K+ vertical decent. enpugh to remind you to breath once in a while. Its a hit among the locals and others just stopping by tend to enjoy it to. Hit me up if you end up this way.
Shuttlefever: As for relaxing beer. Helluva idea. got plenty of those. as far as techy goes we have a section called Log Jam'n. Mostly elevated skinies and bridges, a couple manditory drops, a teater toter and more to come. as of now its about 8 to 10 features, placed close enough to hike and session if you dont want to make the lap around. An intermediate rider with some athletic ability can ride every trail on out mountain and as soon as we complete another beginner/intermediate route we would like to draw up something that would make intermediates think twice. This is tenitive and nothing has been set yet but if things go our way in the dept. we will have something for you and everyone else, although it will take some time for the 2.5 of us to complete it. I personally havnt been to whistler and I am unfamiliar with the layout of the trails you mentioned. ( although I have heard their names a few times) I'll refer your Q to a friend who may answer it better than I. what I do know is we do just fine without the "rockstar" attitude. Most times its realy chill in the valley. During bigger events the party kicks up a notch. This is by North Idaho standards and I am sure our "rager" is a dead night by large resort standards. So how bout that cold one?

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Mach 90, I still haven't seen the answer to downhillrider (TY)'s question. How was the race at Silver MTN.? I'm looking at racing it Next week (right?). I'd just like to know how the course was, drops, rocky? Its Lift access on race day, right? I won't have to hump by 48lbs bike and 200 lbs ass up a mtn?

elRey

Turbo Monkey
Mach 90, I still haven't seen the answer to downhillrider (TY)'s question. How was the race at Silver MTN.? I'm looking at racing it Next week (right?). I'd just like to know how the course was, drops, rocky? Its Lift access on race day, right? I won't have to hump by 48lbs bike and 200 lbs ass up a mtn?
yeah dude they shut the lift off on race day.:lighten: :biggrin: :biggrin:

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
yo just kidding about the drug test, I understand how it is.

I had a great time last year at silveroxx and apreciate all the work, Do you guys get to use heavy machinery?

You should make it up to Whistler sometime, that would give you good ideas for building jumps, tell your boss you have to do some Research up there :)

I am looking forward to checking out that new trails with the stunts! It would be really cool if you built some more technical downhill stuff as well.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
last year I seem to remember the silver mountain site had some good information on the bike park, this year, there's nothing. Has it not been updated?
Techy stuff is good, I much prefer...

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Just stated to plain the trip from seattle for silverroxx.

Will there be a discount for racers on friday like last year?
What will the live music be on saturday night?
How is the cair lift working this year, same as last year?

Sorry if you already answerd this, I did not see it scaning this post and the web site.

That pic of the ladder drop on your web site looks sweet, cant wait to hit it.
The links, > More, from the mnt bike page is not working, just so ya know. To clarify about wanting more "Tech" trails, I ment steep, rocky, and rooty, Altough I like ladders and skinnys as well.

Thanks!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
last year I seem to remember the silver mountain site had some good information on the bike park, this year, there's nothing. Has it not been updated?
Techy stuff is good, I much prefer...
They seem to have just gotten it out of winter mode in the last week. Details are still sketchy. They need a webmaster devoted just to SM, not all the other Jeld-Wen properties.