Quantcast

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
When I first heard of this I had pretty high hopes, but the group/movement seems fairly directionless. Good idea, poor execution I'm afraid. Though NYPD macing old ladies is good for some LULZ.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I still stand that at some point, the police, large corporations and government in general will go too far for a critical mass of the populous. Once those thresholds are crossed, it will be very difficult for any sense of authority to reign in the end results. When enough people have lost everything - Homes, money, savings, jobs, etc - there will be people willing to go all the way and lash out violently.

I can only imagine what would happen if the army is called in to police the general populace. There are enough trained former soldiers who feel slighted, that there is a bee hive of trouble brewing. How many soldiers do you know that would fire on their peers and families because the order was given? how many would turn when their paychecks don't come, or are worthless?

We're working towards 1984 (it we're not there already) and the V push, I think, is not far behind.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I can only imagine what would happen if the army is called in to police the general populace. There are enough trained former soldiers who feel slighted, that there is a bee hive of trouble brewing. How many soldiers do you know that would fire on their peers and families because the order was given? how many would turn when their paychecks don't come, or are worthless?
Not many, but the reality is if they tried to bring in the National Guard (what they are SUPPOSED to be used for), they aren't home they are overseas. So it would be a unit from outside the given state (Oregon, West Virginia, and North Carolina were all at Katrina because LA was deployed).

If they stopped GFF's check, it would be the last thing they do. :panic:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Dayum those were some dangerous looking white girls. I woulda used a tazer and watched em dance.

Edit: are you sure this is for real?

According to a document posted on Pastebin.com, the cop who blasted young women in the face with pepper spray in the now-iconic video above is NYPD Captain Deputy Inspector Anthony Bologna. Bologna was identified as the pepper-sprayer by a photographer who witnessed the incident and posted a blown-up image of his badge to his blog.
I mean, Officer Bologna? Really?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Late at night, by a reporter nobody follows. How about Oberman or some of the primetime anchors get involved?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm still waiting for a 'turn the tables' situation, ala Greece or Spain. At some point there will be more angry people than cops.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I'm still waiting for a 'turn the tables' situation, ala Greece or Spain. At some point there will be more angry people than cops.
In this country?? Are you serious?? As long as Wal Mart and Outback stay open, they don't give a rat's ass.

Plus, anarchy and revolution take energy and work.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Cocktails for above. It's only a matter of time. It's not middle America that will push, it's the coasts. The coasts have large disenfranchised youth populations. They have large percentage of citizens dependant on the government. That's where you need to be looking and you are beginning to see it happen.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nah, it's cool. The news media is totally unbiased, that's why these protests are national news.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
There is all of a sudden a new hashtag #invadewallstreet advocating vandalism and ddos attacks that is floating around in my tweetosphere.

It appears to be a counter-intelligence operation of some type.
Is "the man" truly this stupid? Of course he is.
It's been about 4 hours since #invadewallstreet started spreading. The speed and thoroughness with which the misinformation campaign was exposed and discredited by @anonymous praetorian guards is impressive.

At this point there is likely dozens on people on either side waging serious battles involving constitutional issues.

That's a spectactulalry healthy, necessary state of being.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
we are occupying wall street.....and 99.9 percent of what we are wearing was made by.... more than likely...slave labor....fvcking righteous.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Don't be surprised when you start seeing masses of veterans and former service members speaking up.
We have one of the largest VA hospitals in the Northeast around here as well as lots of lower-income black and hispanic kids who are being forced to chose between prison and the military.

Walk up to your local homeless veterans. Ask them what they think about tilting the system back in their favor so that they can have a bed, food and effective treatment. Ask them about their friends who are still in the hospital and the quality of care they receive.

Talk to the 17 year old kid in the remedial community college class who had to drop out of highschool to sell drugs to help pay for his baby and faces the very real prospect of a parole violation just for staying alive. Ask him if he'd rather have a job with a fair wage to feed his family or a court-ordered stint in the military.

Talk to the 35 year old 5 tour retired veteran that works out of the counseling office at the VA what he thinks of prolonged conflicts and a political system the increasingly dehumanizes people who expose themselves to infinite peril in rickety vehicles for unfair wages while the private contractors on the other side of the wall bring home fat wages fighting with better equipment. He's the one that works with dudes from Korea and legless 19 year olds.

Ask him about the late onset PTSD that is just starting to hit the retiring Vietnam generation. Ask him about the long-term human and financial costs of war. He might have some opinions and grievances he'd like to air in a climate that wouldn't cost him his job

The inequities that military families have to face are staggering and shameful.
Social justice is just as real an issue for people who have served our country as it is for those of us who have benefited from their service.

Last edited:

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
i've been reading comments under the news articles on cnn.com and msn.com. its amazing when people complain that the protest has "no focus". what the protesters aren't doing is supplying 5 second sound bites to the media to wrap up how they feel for a 30 second spot on the major networks. that has been translated/warped into the protest having "no focus".

i'm still not 100% on how i feel about the whole thing, but life sucks for a lot of people and there is some serious waste of money going on in the US economy. for example, one huge waste is that there are a lot of corporations that are not spending money for things that could possibly spur job creation, but instead using hundreds of millions buying back shares of their own stock to push their stock price higher. it's literally evaporating money out of the system instead of investing it back in. congress is talking about giving corporations a window to allow money in overseas subsidiaries to come back into the U.S. at a 0% to 5% tax level. they did it in 2004 as a hope to stimulate the economy, and the majority of corporations used that free cash to buy back stock, which does nothing for no one unless they have options (like CEOs and board members usually do). that's a waste.

but then the conservative side of me comes out and gets sick of the whole thing and thinks "zombie make up? seriously? shaddup and gets yourself a job".

i'm gonna go punch myself in the face.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Trickle down bitchez!

The Wall Street Journal reports today that Corporate America certainly isn’t doing its part to help bring America out of its economic malaise. The paper surveyed employment data by some of the nation’s largest corporations — General Electric, Caterpillar, Microsoft, Wal-Mart, Chevron, Cisco, Intel, Stanley Works, Merck, United Technologies, and Oracle — and found that they cut their workforces by 2.9 million people over the last decade while hiring 2.4 million people overseas.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/04/19/159555/us-corporations-outsourced-americans/
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704821704576270783611823972.html#articleTabs=article
Heard this listening to Bill Maher on the iPod this morning. Had to find print to back it up.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Trickle down bitchez!

Heard this listening to Bill Maher on the iPod this morning. Had to find print to back it up.
Fuk..

I know my last Intel contract (2006) went from 5 jobs here to 20 overseas when they moved the entire project to cut costs.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Talk to the 17 year old kid in the remedial community college class who had to drop out of highschool to sell drugs to help pay for his baby and faces the very real prospect of a parole violation just for staying alive. Ask him if he'd rather have a job with a fair wage to feed his family or a court-ordered stint in the military.
They haven't done that as a general practice since the 80's. There are currently NO branches of our military that take "jail cases." Just FYI.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
They haven't done that as a general practice since the 80's. There are currently NO branches of our military that take "jail cases." Just FYI.
Judges use judiciary sentencing around here quite a bit as far as I can tell. I know handfuls of these kids, and I believe them, if not in letter, certainly in spirit this stuff still happens in one way or another.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
Do you folk actually believe the stuff you write on here? It is really hilarious to read how naïve, ill informed and clueless y’all are.

Ask yourself…How many of these protestors who are advocating higher taxes for everyone else actually paid any Federal income taxes last year?