Quantcast

OEM tyres

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah, which muppet would prioritise safety and traction on the most important part of a wheeled vehicle...
Ha ha. Don't make me laugh. It's still perfectly safe if you have the capacity to actually read the terrain, the grip available using the equipment you have, and calibrate the information to ride it accordingly. I'd be far more worried about the wildlife than my tread durometer if I were you.

:dirol:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah, which muppet would prioritise safety and traction on the most important part of a wheeled vehicle...

I'm absolutely loving Schwalbe's Addix-Purple, count me in the "riders these days who can't cope" group I guess. :D
Ha ha. Don't make me laugh. It's still perfectly safe if you have the capacity to actually read the terrain, the grip available using the equipment you have, and calibrate the information to ride it accordingly. I'd be far more worried about the wildlife than my tread durometer if I were you.

:dirol:
I'm sure there's a mathematical formula that could be generated to model the relation of safety, traction, and speed as a function of fun. c'mon nerds, get to it!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It's still perfectly safe if you have the capacity to actually read the terrain, the grip available using the equipment you have, and calibrate the information to ride it accordingly.
Or you could, you know - ride it really quickly and not worry about your diamond hard 60A tyres causing your bike to throw shapes on every bad cambered rock or root surface down the trail.

Cmon mate - in what universe would anyone want to ride a shittier compound tyre. Go tell Hill, Hart, Gwin or any Moto GP rider that they're squids for insisting on sticky compound rubber. In your efforts to appear more hardcore than Chuck Norris you're taking the piss now.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Or you could, you know - ride it really quickly and not worry about your diamond hard 60A tyres causing your bike to throw shapes on every bad cambered rock or root surface down the trail.

Cmon mate - in what universe would anyone want to ride a shittier compound tyre. Go tell Hill, Hart, Gwin or any Moto GP rider that they're squids for insisting on sticky compound rubber. In your efforts to appear more hardcore than Chuck Norris you're taking the piss now.
Firstly. 60A is actually a softer than standard tyre compound. XC tyres were typically around 70/72 back in the 90s when michelin first introduced softer DH racing tyre compounds. Previously "DH" tyres were often just tougher casing slightly larger derivatives of a tyre manufacturers XC tyres.
(My whole point is that the ability to calibrate grip levels is what allows you not to worry. I actually enjoy the challenge/technicallity of riding a 100mm hardtail with 60As down steep technical low grip descents. More of a Norris McWhirter thing than a Chuck Norris thing.

since you bring up Hill. You know "that" Champery race run?
It's a prime example.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well, I always put on tire warmers on my 29x2.6 Rekons while doing my pre-ride warm up of chugging an IPA. Sometimes I even lube my pedals.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I ride 60a rear tires here/desert rocky places because they're appreciably faster. You can really tell riding behind and in front of people with squishy rear tires. And jagged rock? If you can't find traction on that, you've got other things to worry about.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What about a tire compound that does not stick to poo? I'd pay extra for that.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Firstly. 60A is actually a softer than standard tyre compound. XC tyres were typically around 70/72 back in the 90s when michelin first introduced softer DH racing tyre compounds. Previously "DH" tyres were often just tougher casing slightly larger derivatives of a tyre manufacturers XC tyres.
70a is also a softer than standard compound, back in around 1817 you'd remember we were still using 1200a compounds. I prefer to learn the limits and really enjoy the sketch.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That's a fascinating anecdote. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm comparing a Tioga Farmer Joe and Hutchinson Coyote for my Foes Weasel.

I ride 60a rear tires here/desert rocky places because they're appreciably faster. You can really tell riding behind and in front of people with squishy rear tires. And jagged rock? If you can't find traction on that, you've got other things to worry about.
Actually, yeah I will grant that. 60A tyres were pretty boss for park laps too. They definitely roll faster, on those highly trafficked well-worn lines in the park. Jagged rock isn't what I was talking about - I meant slick slate type rock surfaces. Jagged stuff is like cheat mode unless until it rolls under your tyres.

I usually ended up with a soft durometer tyre on the back regardless soley from the DHF F&R days when I'd rotate front to back and always put a new tyre on the front even though the soft duro tyres on the back get chewed up fast.

Eh, my original point was that there is a quantifiable grip difference between the 40A (RIP Slow Reezay)/42 duro and the MaxxPro 60 durometer tyres. Calling people squids for insisting on the 42A or comparable compound is just trolling or trying to look hardcore.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That's a fascinating anecdote. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm comparing a Tioga Farmer Joe and Hutchinson Coyote for my Foes Weasel.

Actually, yeah I will grant that. 60A tyres were pretty boss for park laps too. They definitely roll faster, on those highly trafficked well-worn lines in the park. Jagged rock isn't what I was talking about - I meant slick slate type rock surfaces. Jagged stuff is like cheat mode unless until it rolls under your tyres.

I usually ended up with a soft durometer tyre on the back regardless soley from the DHF F&R days when I'd rotate front to back and always put a new tyre on the front even though the soft duro tyres on the back get chewed up fast.

Eh, my original point was that there is a quantifiable grip difference between the 40A (RIP Slow Reezay)/42 duro and the MaxxPro 60 durometer tyres. Calling people squids for insisting on the 42A or comparable compound is just trolling or trying to look hardcore.
Just wondering what actually generates grip? I thought if it is good dirt (no rocks or roots) then the profile of the tire, knobs, working edges do generate grip. Softer compounds to a certain degree allow for more movement of the edges but too soft can be detrimental with knobs folding over. If roots, rocks or other harder surfaces are thrown in then the compound actually helps more with traction because it generates friction. No?

BTW: LOVED those Slow Reezay, unbelievable grip on wet roots.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Anybody know why Maxxis dropped the SR but kept the ST?
If memory serves, SR did not chunk the way ST does, seems the only use it has now is on the sides of the 3C's

I was thinking about trying some DHR2's F&R, but need 26" for the back and no DD available.
I like the Schwalbe SG casing, so figured the Maxxis DD would be great. Foiled again.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Of course there's a noticable difference in grip between durometers. FFS all I'm saying is it's perfectly possible to ride a mountainbike down a hill using tyres without the softest tyre compounds. You simply need to ride to the limit of grip you have available. Why is this so difficult for you to comprehend without crying "troll" ?
it's fuck all to do with trying to look hardcore, I'm not racing therefore don't need grippiest tyres to have fun riding my bike down a hill.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anybody know why Maxxis dropped the SR but kept the ST?
If memory serves, SR did not chunk the way ST does, seems the only use it has now is on the sides of the 3C's
That's kind of like 2005 info.

The new ST tires are awesome.

Also, those 2.4 tires are plenty big on any rim 25mm or bigger. At least in my opinion. But I'm not a fan of the balloons.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
it's fuck all to do with trying to look hardcore, I'm not racing therefore don't need grippiest tyres to have fun riding my bike down a hill.
Yeah but, in general, the more fasterest I go the more funer I have and good tires let me go faster soooo....

Good tires make riding more fun, just like good bikes.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
That's kind of like 2005 info.

The new ST tires are awesome.

Also, those 2.4 tires are plenty big on any rim 25mm or bigger. At least in my opinion. But I'm not a fan of the balloons.

Well, the last time I was on anything supper grippy from Maxxis, is about 2006/7, so in my mind I'm right on teh money:D
The 2.4's are the perfect size, but I don't like the 2.3 size, that is a bit too pinner, just as anything larger than a 2.35 MagicMary is too big and floaty feeling. I was really hoping they did the DD casing in 2.4.

So, 3C on the back and ST up front?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
You are aware a 60a rolls faster?

:brows:
That's why I don't have sticky tires on my DJ bike. If you just ride hard pack and rail some berms it turns out you don't really need much traction. But if you want to ride steep rowdy trails fast you need maximum traction. It's pretty much the whole point of performance mtb tires.

Hey by the way. You know what rolls really fast?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
if you want to ride steep rowdy trails fast you need maximum traction.
No. You honestly don't.
Maximum traction will give you an advantage and may well allow you to drop a second or two if racing though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If it's a maxxterra. Like I said, I ride 60a rear tires a lot but but our dirt sucks and I aim for rocks for traction. Where you are is literally the exact opposite yeah?
Our dirt is awesome, and I ride a lot of 60a rear tires too.

The biggest place super sticky rubber makes a difference up here is on wet roots. A little rear end slip there isn't the end of the world.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
This is what I do:

Go here for the Maxxis "catalog". Which actually gives you useful information in a grid result.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-302-122-minion-dhf

Then go to the "Shop Maxxis" page to see what they have in stock and/or the Item Number to google search to go shopping.

https://shop.maxxis.com/c/bicycle_downhill_minion-dhf?action_type=switch_product&selected_cat_keys=1031949.65877.1071113.0.0&selected_product=ae90874916e51c33f94bc9cbe5e8a42c&redirected_post=1

Using both sites is useful and imperative to get the exact tire you want. And kind of a pain in the ass. So many of the same DHF in so many different configurations will make you go blind trying to find the right tire on a web retailers site.

BTW, the "DUAL" compound is 60a. The unofficial rear tire of ridemonkey dh forum. At least I think so. I can no longer find on maxxis web site where they explain durometers to their compounds (dual, maxxgrip, st, etc.)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
No. You honestly don't.
Not if I we're a pro who destroys even the gnarliest track with ease like you or Dany Hart but for us mere mortals having that extra traction when things get hairy can be the difference between blowing out a turn and railing a turn.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
BTW, the "DUAL" compound is 60a. The unofficial rear tire of ridemonkey dh forum. At least I think so. I can no longer find on maxxis web site where they explain durometers to their compounds (dual, maxxgrip, st, etc.)
The MAXXIS website is garbage. They don't list the durometers any more as far as I can tell.

http://www.maxxis.com/other-bicycle-information/bicycle-technology/compounds

DUAL
Two compounds used within the tread of select tires to offer lower rolling resistance and increased cornering grip.
Found this info elsewhere

https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/blog/maxxis-tyres-everything-you-need-to-know/

From hardest to softest tread compound, Maxxis produce:

Single Compound - 70a Durometer the firmest compound for maximum tread life, and super low rolling resistance.

eXCeption – A 62a Rubber compound perfect for Cross country race bikes

MaxxPro – A 60a rubber predominately used as a long life gravity bike tyre.

Dual Compound – 51a/60a - A 51a rubber compound on the side knobs with a 60a rubber on the centre knobs.

3C Maxx Speed - 72a/60a/62a - These feature 72a rubber at the base of the knobs with 60a on the side knobs and 62a on the centre tread. This offers the lowest rolling resistance for cross country bikes.

3C Maxx Terra - 70a/42a/50a – 70a as the base for all the knobs, with 42a rubber on the tops of the side knobs and 50a rubber on the tops of the centre knobs. Designed for trail and all mountain.

3C Maxx Grip - 70a/40a/42a – 70a rubber makes up the base of all the knobs with 40a rubber on the side knobs and 42a rubber on the centre tread. Ultimate grip on gravity-focused bikes.

Super Tacky – 42a rubber all over – largely found on Downhill and gravity focused bikes. This is a very soft, slow rebounding rubber. While it doesn't provide the precise feel of the 3C Maxx Grip, it is still a very grippy tyre.

Slow Reezay – 40a rubber all over. This is now discontinued.
RIP Slow Reezay :dead:

Last edited: