Quantcast

of backpacking and peak bagging

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
We came, we saw, we camped and bagged the peak. I ate very well thanks to the suggestions of some of you. 3 days two nights of backpacking in a spectacular portion of the Mokelumne Wilderness From Woods lake up to Winnemuccca Lake then over to Round Top Lake where we camped. The second day out we climbed to the summit of Round Top Peak at 10.381 feet. the last couple of hundred feet included some sporty class four scrambling. we hiked out today and damn are my legs tired

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
After thoughts: Carrying a bear can sucks, its needed but it still sucks. air pads with synthetic down insulation are the tits, so comfortable, screw ever using a self inflating Thermarest again. mountain house makes tasty freeze dried food compared to the crap of 20 years ago. 850 Goose down sleeping bags rock (15* Sierra Designs in a long)

everyone and his brother that we saw on the mountain had an REI tent.....

The fourth class scrambling to the summit was on the oh shit don't slip and fall side, serious exposure.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
no smoke?

the lack of coverage on the fires out west is stunning....or maybe i have not been paying enough attention.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
no smoke?

the lack of coverage on the fires out west is stunning....or maybe i have not been paying enough attention.
we were 20 miles north of the fire at hwys 89,395 and 4 but we could see the header from the Summit of Round Top
and the next closest fire was 50 mile to the north of us. the winds were just right to keep us smoke free. We did get an afternoon thunder storm after we were back at camp and Sunday night the winds were really howling but that lille stand of trees we were in blocked most of it from hitting us

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
There was more smoke in the CO San Juans this weekend even though you were closer to most of the fires. Climbed San Luis (14,014') and it was surrounded by a thin sea of brown haze. Beautiful pics, BTW! I haven't pulled my sure-to-be lousy ones off my phone yet.
- Joe

Corey just sent me the shot he took of me on the Summit

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
all my gear has been cleaned and dried and is getting put back into storage. I will not have another shot to use it until November.... that bites. But I guess I will possibly have an excuse to bust out the gear plus snowshoes by then