Quantcast

freerider890

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
think about getting an old Fuji Palisade from my buddy as my first commuter. im getting it for only 140. could use some suggestions since this is my first road bike

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Nothing special. A 2.2 Specialized Enduro in the front and a 2.1 Panaracer Fire XC Pro in the rear.

No ice under the snow, just kinda compacted as I rode over it.

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
VERY Icy this morning so it was the mountain bike again. I was 2 miles from work when I hear a loud pop and my tire starts rubbing the frame. Snapped a spoke. Doh.... now to figure out how I get home without waiting until 6pm for my wife to get off work.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
VERY Icy this morning so it was the mountain bike again. I was 2 miles from work when I hear a loud pop and my tire starts rubbing the frame. Snapped a spoke. Doh.... now to figure out how I get home without waiting until 6pm for my wife to get off work.
I popped 2 spokes last week. One as i pulled into the parking lot on the way in, and one about 4 miles from home....got the wheels re-laced over the weekend. Trying them out the next 2 days. They started to pop about 3 months ago.....is very aggravating. Sorry to hear about your predicament: lesson learned though, pack a spoke wrench.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^I recall (from back when I lived in the north east) busting spokes more often in winter, I guess the cold makes 'em more brittle. Maybe a corrosion issue from salt too, eh?

It was, um, a little foggy on my commute across SF today...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
^^I recall (from back when I lived in the north east) busting spokes more often in winter, I guess the cold makes 'em more brittle. Maybe a corrosion issue from salt too, eh?
According to the guys at the bikeshop the spokes i have were a bad batch. They are black wheelsmith spokes and 6-7 years ago they had alot of warranty issue with them. I got a cross bike for road riding in 2001.....never really rode it much. With baby at home now, rode it a ton this year, warranty is null and void at this point. :busted:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Got up a 5:34 am to look out the window.
Flurries were in the forecast last night.
Streets look good.
Tossed and turned all night with sore stomach from virus.
Felt Nauseas.
Finally get out on bike at 6:12.
Running 12 minutes late.
Roll by bank and temp is 27.
Good temp. Feel good. Air is good.
Air is making me feel better but not great.
Pace along for 60 minutes.
Come up to the river.
Tailwind is now in face.
River is always nice in the morning.
Ice is starting to form.
Roll through the urban redevelopment zone.
New houses looked cheapish when they were being put together.
The new little neighborhoods are nice though.
Get to work at 7:40.
In my cube at 8:05.
Hang glove liners, skull cap, base layer on recyle container to dry.

Ride home looking like 40 and Sunny.
Will hit some green tea before i leave for a nice jumpstart.

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
So I got a pair of IQ AmFib bootties yesterday. I'll give them their first tryout today, but it'll only be 38 deg. Probably be below freezing tomorrow morning on the way to work. I look forward to warm & dryer feet. Especially since up until now I've just been brining an extra pair of socks to work since my feet are always soaked when it rains.

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
YAY! Success, nice warm toes at 31 degrees. A bit of a pain to get on and off. The tag says they should fit up to size 13 shoes, but my 12's are a tight squeeze.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
YAY! Success, nice warm toes at 31 degrees. A bit of a pain to get on and off. The tag says they should fit up to size 13 shoes, but my 12's are a tight squeeze.
Trek has some nice Booties. Very ez to get on and you can keep them on when you take your shoes off.....put mine on at Christmas and they stay on when i take my shoes off....then just slip my shoes back on before the next ride...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm continually shocked by how dumb some commuters are.

Lower visibility this morning due to light snow, less sun. Some idiot on a SS is wearing dark clothes, dark lid, dark bike, NO reflective anything, NO bright colors of any kind, NO taillight at all and a weak ass headlight.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i've been in on the bike every day for the last two weeks. (one day i rode the bus, but i should get a pass for that since it was a commuter bus from mukilteo, ~20 mi and 1h away.)

:)

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I'm continually shocked by how dumb some commuters are.

Lower visibility this morning due to light snow, less sun. Some idiot on a SS is wearing dark clothes, dark lid, dark bike, NO reflective anything, NO bright colors of any kind, NO taillight at all and a weak ass headlight.
Was this guy a 'voluntary' commuter or some derelict/DUI criminal.....?.....i see thoose guys and they just don't even really care about their life IMO....miserable guys gripped by alcoholism....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Was this guy a 'voluntary' commuter or some derelict/DUI criminal.....?.....i see thoose guys and they just don't even really care about their life IMO....miserable guys gripped by alcoholism....
the idiots I'm refering to are cyclists. Today's idiot was going uphill on a SS at a good clip.

And the idiot who I ride past (going the other direction) regularly going home has an Orbea that clearly costs as much as our five bikes combined, in full lycra with a messenger bag.

Yeah, the people who use a bike, not ride a bike, I don't count.

EDIT: And there's another one on a Redline monocog who works at the hospital... also nearly invisible.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
the idiots I'm refering to are cyclists. Today's idiot was going uphill on a SS at a good clip.

And the idiot who I ride past (going the other direction) regularly going home has an Orbea that clearly costs as much as our five bikes combined, in full lycra with a messenger bag.

Yeah, the people who use a bike, not ride a bike, I don't count.

EDIT: And there's another one on a Redline monocog who works at the hospital... also nearly invisible.
WOW. Too cool for reflectors i guess.....?

Around here i see a couple real commuters...most of them over-dressed looking like giant reflectors from head to toe and looking like they should be over-heated within 2-3 pedal strokes.....

BTW.
Here is a great tail-light i found...others probably know about it but was new to me. Very bright for the $$$.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3034.html

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Around here i see a couple real commuters...most of them over-dressed looking like giant reflectors from head to toe and looking like they should be over-heated within 2-3 pedal strokes.....
That's me, except for the over-heating part... yellow jacket, yellow lid cover with reflective stripes. Dark bike with black fenders with yellow reflective tape on the sides and backs of the fenders. Bright flashing headlight with a Dinotte tail-light in pulse mode

I told my wife that if I'm ever hit to pursue full civil and criminal charges since I'm lit like Santa Claus :) (ok, slight exaggeration :D)

BTW.
Here is a great tail-light i found...others probably know about it but was new to me. Very bright for the $$$.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3034.html
That has a good reputation on bikeforums. From what I understand, the Dinotte is substantially brighter and I like the idea that it's bright enough to illuminate around curves that are blind from construction and buildings as well as over the hills that are around here.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
I have been driving to work lately, because the weather has been crap and I am not into masochism; I'd rather enjoy the ride and just train at the gym when it is 12 degrees out.

Equipment: Surly Steamroller fixed gear / Crank Bros Acid pedals
Gearing: 44/17
Accessories: LED taillight / LED headlight (daylight savings time), Loius Garneau helmet, backpack with regular shoes, lunch, extra tube, tire levers, patch kit, 15mm wrench

Commute distance: 2 miles each way
Road conditions: Generally flat, a few risers, couple sets of train tracks and a highway crossing.
Spring/summer/fall frequency: 4-6 days per week
Winter frequency: 0-1 day per week (like I said, it's friggin' COLD out there)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Cant[sic] Climb: $30 is expensive! i rock two $5 lights bought on clearance in tandem instead, one duct taped to my fender, another on the seatpost. those two lights blinking away + two reflective strips on my camelbak backpack will hopefully catch the attention of all but the most dense, who probably would hit me anyway.

thought of the day: do you guys ride out in the middle of the lane on climbs when you're substantially slower than prevailing car traffic? i try to stay at least 1/3 out so that the car drivers have to consciously slow down and pass me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I have been driving to work lately, because the weather has been crap and I am not into masochism; I'd rather enjoy the ride and just train at the gym when it is 12 degrees out.

Equipment: Surly Steamroller fixed gear / Crank Bros Acid pedals
Gearing: 44/17
Accessories: LED taillight / LED headlight (daylight savings time), Loius Garneau helmet, backpack with regular shoes, lunch, extra tube, tire levers, patch kit, 15mm wrench

Commute distance: 2 miles each way
Road conditions: Generally flat, a few risers, couple sets of train tracks and a highway crossing.
Spring/summer/fall frequency: 4-6 days per week
Winter frequency: 0-1 day per week (like I said, it's friggin' COLD out there)
Great post!

...extra tube, tire levers, patch kit, 15mm wrench...
I decided that I didn't want the bother, so I went with solid rubber tires. The ride's just as good, but now I don't have to carry that stuff or be late due to a flat.

Unfortunately, this only works in the non-winter weather.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
those two lights blinking away + two reflective strips on my camelbak backpack will hopefully catch the attention of all but the most dense, who probably would hit me anyway.
I'm not trying to push the Dinotte since it's expensive, but cars start going around me much further back, swing wider and return to the lane further ahead since I got a brighter tail light.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Cant[sic] Climb: $30 is expensive! i rock two $5 lights bought on clearance in tandem instead, one duct taped to my fender, another on the seatpost. those two lights blinking away + two reflective strips on my camelbak backpack will hopefully catch the attention of all but the most dense, who probably would hit me anyway.

thought of the day: do you guys ride out in the middle of the lane on climbs when you're substantially slower than prevailing car traffic? i try to stay at least 1/3 out so that the car drivers have to consciously slow down and pass me.
That light i posted is really bright. Significantly brighter than the average 5-10$ light.....

As for riding out in the middle on slow climbs....it depends on the visiblity. You are making yourself visible so you must feel the need....sometimes i can tuck deep on the shoulder out of harms way. Sometimes i pray on blind corners like LO was talking about....even then i'm as far off the road as possble, there isn't always much room though. There are always risks.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Aaaack!

I'm so paranoid about my primary bike being stolen.

I stopped by the library on the way home from work to pick up some stuff on hold. It took longer to lock up my bike -- a keyed u-lock and a combination cable lock -- than it did to check out.

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
Hey there people,

I am an Industrial Design student in Boston, MA and I am currently working on my senior thesis project. I have chosen to focus my research on bicycle commuting, and I will be researching the whole spectrum of things associated for the next 2 months. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping in any way, whether it be an interview (if you are in my area), or filling out a survey or even just offering up some gripes with anything to do with commuting.

If you are interested you can reach me at commuter.bike@gmail.com

Thanks!

Ryan White

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Hey there people,

I am an Industrial Design student in Boston, MA and I am currently working on my senior thesis project. I have chosen to focus my research on bicycle commuting, and I will be researching the whole spectrum of things associated for the next 2 months. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping in any way, whether it be an interview (if you are in my area), or filling out a survey or even just offering up some gripes with anything to do with commuting.

If you are interested you can reach me at commuter.bike@gmail.com

Thanks!

Ryan White
read this thread, lots of info. Also, try commuting yourself as that provides immediate insight.

Good luck with your project!

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
So I will be moving shortly, and am working on getting my commuter bike up and going. :) Commute will include hopping the train. Its about 5 miles to the train station. If I decide to ride home without the train, I am guessing its about 25 miles, highline canal trail being what it is.

We will see how it goes!

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
-7F for this morning's commute.

Actually built a dedicated commuter recently with a Salsa El Mariachi frame, the wheels off my 29er mtb, and some 35c WTB All Terrainasaurus tires setup tubeless of course. Full fenders, air horn equipped, full rigid using 90% parts bin leftovers. The tires have handled the frequent snow/slush on the wide shouldered road I take to work everyday rather well. Bike commuting isn't too common here and I'm beginning to think from the looks I receive that everyone I pass by daily thinks I've lost my license for DUI.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
:rant: Stupid Seattle weather...

17 miles to go
6:30am
42 Deg.
Rain.
I don't do full-on rain gear.
Gutted out my first commute of the year.
I hate that under-the-skin-itch-burn-dealie when warm water hits the feet for the first few minutes...
0 miles to go
No, I'm not getting booties.
I'm gonna suck it up.
Hopefully all mah crap is reasonably dry by 5.
Rest of the week is gonna be good weather.
I don't know how my body is going to react to going from 0 miles a week to 150....but I suppose I'm going to find out.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Squirrel, I just don't see how you can live in such a variable weather location and not have all the layers/gear necessary for whatever is thrown at you.

If you're going to commute bro, you have to drop the coin?

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
I held out for 2 years commuting in Seattle's winters before I got booties.... now I'm not sure how I decided to live without them. I came in this morning around 5:30, no rain, dunno about the way home though.