Quantcast

Officiallly broke for life

Mar 27, 2004
baltimore and boulder
So my Giant DH comp... through a twisted series of events including a UPS destroyed bike, some internal misunderstandings at Giant, and a short production run... is now not to be. Basically they have no more bikes and the one I did have I sent back because UPS smashed the rear wheel and gouged the frame. SO... it looks like have now HAVE the buy the DH team, a true tragedy indeed. Although Im not going to lament riding an SPV dorado or a 521 wheelset, I now have to finance the bike. Dark days have come indded when most people make car payments and I make bike payments.

Mar 27, 2004
baltimore and boulder
yeah it is...

I ordered a Giant DH comp through the bike shop where I used to work. The shop is in MD and I go to school in boulder, the idea was it would be waiting for me when I got back to MD for the summer. The bike came in a few weeks ago and UPS had had their way with it, so my boss sent it back to Giant and they were supposed to send out another. The second bike was supposed to have gotten here a while ago, then yesterday giant called to say they were out of DH comps until september and I wasn't getting one*. The dented one has already been stripped for warranty parts apparently. There were some internal goings on at Giant, including someone losing their job, in the meantime that I wont go into but that probably contributed to the second bike not getting out. So anyways now I have to get the DH team. Before everyone suggest 50 other bikes I should buy, Giant has a great employee purchase program that gets employess at undisclosed, but very good prices. So even though Im now spending more than I wanted to Im still getting a damn good deal and the bike I want.

It does suck in that I wanted to have been riding for the last week, and now I'll be looking at another week before the DH team comes in. West Virginia looms and I have no time on a DH bike this year, not off to a good start.

*As a side note Giant is usually a great company to work with an this is an uncharacteristic fubar, it happens.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
i feel you.
it took be forever to get my bike too. right when i got it i broke my ankle after 2 rides on it. ive been out for a month and a 1/2. i still have a couple more weeks till i can ride. and i missed a bunch of races. like sea otter and big bear ncs this weekend

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Don't worry man, a lot of people are in the same shoes (not talking about having a bike destroyed, but being financially strapped). The other day I went to buy a sandwich and a drink from a gas station...maybe $5...swipe the bank card: "INSUF FUNDS." ...stupid bikes.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
How about , ill finance your bike for you, Interest free. and you cut my yard with the rider. You could also earn bucks painting and other various jobs.

Chas

ps are you going to Mt Snow with us? Ive got room.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
Don't worry man, a lot of people are in the same shoes (not talking about having a bike destroyed, but being financially strapped). The other day I went to buy a sandwich and a drink from a gas station...maybe $5...swipe the bank card: "INSUF FUNDS." ...stupid bikes.
havent you been in debt since you were like 7?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It really seems like a lot of the industry companies went with smaller production runs this year, to prevent being stuck with leftover inventory. All year I've been hearing how everyone's out of the good stuff. :(

Mar 27, 2004
baltimore and boulder
Hey Charles, Id love to ride with you guys to vermont, it would certianly beat driving the golf by myself.

To Superslow and Joe, those are both good suggestions, but Im already an employee of the bike shop (not an active one at the moment but still officially one and thanks to a really cool boss I still pay shop prices). I would be amazed if Giant discounts the bike any futher for me, their employee purchase program is already very generous(think halfish of retail), and considering that this is their most expensive bike their already losing out alot over a standard sale.

Anyway assuming no more problems arise I should have the bike by next week.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Echo
It really seems like a lot of the industry companies went with smaller production runs this year, to prevent being stuck with leftover inventory. All year I've been hearing how everyone's out of the good stuff. :(
Giant has always been like that with their DH bikes. I've heard of february sellouts in the past.