Quantcast

Oh alright. FINE. What I like about it here

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
1) Of course I met my wife here

2) I drive a nicer car than my parents. Wages are definitely good. Lower taxes are nice. But that's an obvious one.

3) Mountains....well I guess that's not unique to the states...but having the Cascades/Whistler at my disposal....well that beats the HELL out of Bromont.

4) I've made some great friends here.....yes...there are people out there that like me...at least I'm pretty sure they do... Right? Guys?

5) TV....Not having Comedy Central, Speedvison etc etc is going to sting!!

6) Stores are open way later.. That's always handy

7) Internet....lots of sites still don't cater to Canada...shopping-wise....just a bigger hassle.

...I guess 6 and 7 just prove that this is a great place to be a consumer. It's really easy to spend your money.

8) Better cell phone service in the States

9) Cheaper gas

I'm sure I'll think of some more...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Yes, the US is a consumer's paradise. :) :) :) Nothing better than guilt free consumption on the backs 3rd world labor. :think: Makes me want a beer.
is europe really any different though? sure, things over here cost more, but that's usually because of higher taxes (VAT and the like), not because the merchants feel guilty and are paying the "3rd world labor" source more $$ for the same product, and passing this cost on to the consumers.

i think inefficiencies in markets/distribution channels also come into play a bit, as do gov't regulations (for instance, in ireland the maximum floor size of a supermarket is regulated).

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by MMike
1) Of course I met my wife here

2) I drive a nicer car than my parents. Wages are definitely good. Lower taxes are nice. But that's an obvious one.

3) Mountains....well I guess that's not unique to the states...but having the Cascades/Whistler at my disposal....well that beats the HELL out of Bromont.

4) I've made some great friends here.....yes...there are people out there that like me...at least I'm pretty sure they do... Right? Guys?

5) TV....Not having Comedy Central, Speedvison etc etc is going to sting!!

6) Stores are open way later.. That's always handy

7) Internet....lots of sites still don't cater to Canada...shopping-wise....just a bigger hassle.

...I guess 6 and 7 just prove that this is a great place to be a consumer. It's really easy to spend your money.

8) Better cell phone service in the States

9) Cheaper gas

I'm sure I'll think of some more...
MMike I always tell everyone I like you better in person (actually said it last week).....though I think you are funny online.....some people have difficulty getting your humor.

You going to be at any of the last CPR races (or is it race now) ?

I haven't seen you in forever.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I agree. Unlike the WTO protesters - I don't think this is such a bad thing - many third world nations happily compete for for our export dollars.

Originally posted by narlus
is europe really any different though? sure, things over here cost more, but that's usually because of higher taxes (VAT and the like), not because the merchants feel guilty and are paying the "3rd world labor" source more $$ for the same product, and passing this cost on to the consumers.

i think inefficiencies in markets/distribution channels also come into play a bit, as do gov't regulations (for instance, in ireland the maximum floor size of a supermarket is regulated).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Makes sense............... :think:
well, my guessing is that they want to help preserve the "village" feel of the areas, and not run over the town infrastructure w/ americanized strip mall disease, w/ huge car parks and the like. i do like the fact that i can walk or cycle down to the food store, get what i need, and not ever have to see the inside of my car.

that said, there are definitely price and convenience issues. and, as we all know, america IS the land of convenience.