Quantcast

Oh Crap...Me and my big ideas...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Alright, I know my brother has really been taxing on the generous energies of the tech forum, but now I have a problem.

I moved my "My Music" folder to my external hard drive to back it up. "Oops!" I figured, so I re-copied my "My Music" folder to my laptop. The icon from the start menu has disappeared and iTunes still won't work. When I try to start iTunes I get:

"The folder iTunes cannot be found or created, and is required. The default location for this folder is inside the "My Music" folder."

I've removed and re-installed iTunes, to no avail.

The iTunes folder IS inside the My Music folder. What more does this dastardly contraption want from me?

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
In Itunes click file then add folder then browse until you find the folder and click on it. Hope that helps

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I moved my "My Music" folder to my external hard drive to back it up. "Oops!" I figured, so I re-copied my "My Music" folder to my laptop. The icon from the start menu has disappeared and iTunes still won't work.
i think this is key. you need to tell windows that it is the "My Music" folder (as in a special "blessed" folder with the icon, in the menu, etc.), not just a folder with that name. how you actually do that, i have no idea. i'll let the windows nerds chime in with the solution :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Start/Run, type "regedit"

Navigate to:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
Look for the My Music entry. If there isn't one, right click, highlight New, and add String Value. Name it "My Music". The contents should be the path to your My Music directory, e.g.
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Da Peach\My Documents\My Music
Reboot if it doesn't work immediately.

If that doesn't work (after a reboot), do the same thing at the following registry path:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
Reboot if it doesn't work.

Start/Run, type "regedit"

Navigate to:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
Look for the My Music entry. If there isn't one, right click, highlight New, and add String Value. Name it "My Music". The contents should be the path to your My Music directory, e.g.
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Da Peach\My Documents\My Music
Reboot if it doesn't work immediately.

If that doesn't work (after a reboot), do the same thing at the following registry path:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
Reboot if it doesn't work.
Walk into the nuclear reactor and start pressing buttons. :monkeydance:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was gonna leave it at, "Go into regedit. Look for an appropriate setting and change it."

...figured that'd be mean, though :D

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Okay, I've tried it, but it seems the changes don't stick. When I re-open regedit after the reboot (cause it didn't work) I see that the changes haven't taken. i.e. the edited "Data" is blank next to "My Music".

If I get this right, I'm trying to get the "Data" to read "C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Petsche\My Documents\My Music"

I make this change, but it keeps going back to blank.

What gives?

My computer is still working though!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Tweak UI didn't really do anything. I click "repair My Music icon" and nothing happens.

Should My Music be read only? Should the iTunes folder within My Music be read only? Mine are..that seems wrong somehow...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Tweak UI didn't really do anything. I click "repair My Music icon" and nothing happens.

Should My Music be read only? Should the iTunes folder within My Music be read only? Mine are..that seems wrong somehow...
That's probably why, neither should be read only. Right click on the My Music directory and uncheck the Read Only box. If it asks you if you want to apply it to all child directories, choose yes.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
alright, let's see here...hmm... I proceed to uncheck read only, it goes through a quick process. Click apply and ok and all that stuff. I close it, and re-open, and it's Read only again...

My changes ain't stickin'!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
alright, let's see here...hmm... I proceed to uncheck read only, it goes through a quick process. Click apply and ok and all that stuff. I close it, and re-open, and it's Read only again...

My changes ain't stickin'!
Do you have admin rights?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It shouldn't even let him make the changes if he doesn't have admin rights... Sounds like some weird problem with the My Music directory.

Try shutting down all of your programs, move your music out of the my music directory, and delete the my music directory. Then use the rebuild function on Tweak UI.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have version 2.10 of tweakUI and I can't find a "rebuild" function, just repair...which doesn't do anything...

But I'll try and delete the music folder and use the repair...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The repair button still does nothing

and my changes is regedit still aren't working...

As for MMike...Buying that computer out of the back of a van wasn't such a good idea now...was it?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Ah, my in-house computer geek at work fixed it.

Although he refuses to tell me how, but it's fixed.

The important thing is...I learned something (?)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:rofl:

I'm going to let you in on a huge secret.

There are two reasons that tech guys don't tell the user how they fixed the problem:

A) the user is an idiot and missed something so mind-numbingly simple (usually something we've specifically told them to do) that we can't tell you without offending you, or

B) we have no idea how we fixed it. A few clicks of the mouse and all of a sudden everything is back to normal. Don't know how, don't know why, but don't look a gift horse...

splat

Nam I am
:rofl:

I'm going to let you in on a huge secret.

There are two reasons that tech guys don't tell the user how they fixed the problem:

A) the user is an idiot and missed something so mind-numbingly simple (usually something we've specifically told them to do) that we can't tell you without offending you, or

B) we have no idea how we fixed it. A few clicks of the mouse and all of a sudden everything is back to normal. Don't know how, don't know why, but don't look a gift horse...

3 thing BV

1) Your not suppose to tell them that

2) In this case I'm betting A

3) I think the better solution would have been format c: /q /y

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
alright alright...back to the nerd cave with you.

It still took him over an hour... I think he just created a new user account in widows. Smarty pantses.