Quantcast

Ohlins it worth it?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
So I'm going to do up my old dh bike, give it a refresh with some new parts.

I was thinking of sending the my old Fox DHX 5 to get tuned and refreshed, but having had ohlins stuff on motocross bikes before I kinda fancy changing the shock to one of the new fancy ohlins things also been seeing mad hype for the shiny gold stuff too.

So should i get my shock tuned, buy a new Ohlins or get a cane creek double barrel cheap and get it tuned?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Ohlins is really nice stuff, but I'd strongly consider getting the DHX tuned by Avalanche. Ive had both and the Avalanche stuff is really good. If you didn't already own a shock Id probably suggest getting Ohlins, but since you already own and have the spring rate set I'd just call up Avalanche.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Had an Ohlins a couple of seasons ago, really good damping. Had an 11-6 for a little bit, stayed glued to the ground a little better, but it had a dead feel that I couldn't tune out without paying for updated parts from Push. On a DHX2 now and am very happy with it. Damping feels on par with the Ohlins but more tuneable.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yeah, if Avalanche is still doing DHX conversions that could be a good choice. I had a Push MX Tune DHX that worked really well (that originally used Avalanche adjusters), however it didn't have the same tuning range that the DHX2 does.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, if Avalanche is still doing DHX conversions that could be a good choice. I had a Push MX Tune DHX that worked really well (that originally used Avalanche adjusters), however it didn't have the same tuning range that the DHX2 does.
per avalanche's website they are still offering the service.

also to the OP, i'm not aware of anyone that is doing custom tuning for CCDB's?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
cool! what kind of updates?
Planning a full overhaul, shock although not sure what I'm gonna do yet, offset bushings, rebuild the wheels, maybe new forks, new handlebars and new brakes. Kinda fancy 27.5 front and 26 rear.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Planning a full overhaul, shock although not sure what I'm gonna do yet, offset bushings, rebuild the wheels, maybe new forks, new handlebars and new brakes. Kinda fancy 27.5 front and 26 rear.
was thinking a refresh recently as well. given the length of stays, a 650 might fit in the rear. would probably need to tweak the shock mount plates a bit to get the bb down to a modern number. was already running it short shocked (~8" travel) to lower things a bit. that said, the bike rarely gets used these days, but would make a fun project.

if you're pondering buying a new shock, it'd be a good idea to check fit before purchase; a couple shocks i tried wouldn't clear the rohloff.

Last edited:

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Problem with dropping the bb on 26" means that boomerang is gonna hit more rocks although on 650b it probs would need dropped as you say.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004

Heres some really dusty picture as its been lying in my garage for a long time also smh at how flat they bars are.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
seat and chainstays make. me. so. nervous. please tell me you've at least been keeping it out of direct sunlight? thing might crumble to dust under you otherwise.

and flat bars are back in fashion. i think.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Laharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharhar

And I love my Avyed RC4. As long as you have a good chassis, I'd recommend a custom tune over OEM every day and febturday.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
And I love my Avyed RC4. As long as you have a good chassis, I'd recommend a custom tune over OEM every day and febturday.
Theres a service agent for avy in the uk i'll contact them and see if they can do the dhx5 upgrade here without it having to go to the states.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Think I'm gonna pick up a Dorado expert for the front and get rid of the 32mm boxxer's

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Laharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharharhar.
oh, you need this?

or this?

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
So Ive been put off the fox servicing as apparently they are running out of spares for the dhx5 and that even after any tuned I might not be able to get parts.

The Ohlins is £700 quid new and is set up to weight but I have a friend who has a Cane Creek DB that Im gonna buy cheap off him and get it serviced, setup for my weight, get ti-nitride shaft and WSS bladder upgrade which apparently seems to improve the small bump sensitivity.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
A lot of the shocks you mention are inferior in durability to the DHX5 / RC4, my buddy snapped 1x CCDB spring retainer and 1x CCDB shaft (on two different bikes, trail and DH) this summer. I'd still consider getting your old shock tuned, or better yet, buy the last good version of your shock - no tuning needed:
www.ebay.com/itm/122441792507

It's one of the best shocks made from a durability and performance standpoint, and it's cheap. If you put a lot of miles on your gear or dislike failure / regular servicing then there are very few other good options. Make sure it's the 2015+ version with small shaft (the one linked is).

Also inverted forks are all on the flexier side, the Dorado no exception. There are a lot of good options I'd choose first - including the humble 35mm Boxxer in coil guise. With that said, the 32mm Boxxer is hardly stiff so maybe you wouldn't mind the Dorado. Of modern forks I'd pick something else personally.

Kinda fancy 27.5 front and 26 rear.
This rocks in my experience, I'd do it for sure. And post pics once you're done like Nick said.

Last edited:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
So Ive been put off the fox servicing as apparently they are running out of spares for the dhx5 and that even after any tuned I might not be able to get parts.

The Ohlins is £700 quid new and is set up to weight but I have a friend who has a Cane Creek DB that Im gonna buy cheap off him and get it serviced, setup for my weight, get ti-nitride shaft and WSS bladder upgrade which apparently seems to improve the small bump sensitivity.
Lol.

upload_2017-6-22_23-53-42.png