Quantcast

Oil/grease buildup on stanchion - initial thoughts?

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Hey folks..Always love the help I get on here so I'll make it quick.

Good season of riding so far and noticing some buildup of oil on my right stanchion. Shock still seems plush, wouldn't have noticed without the obvious slickness-to-touch feeling. Never had to service a shock -- I know, crazy -- so wondering: should I just ride it out a month or two more while the season is still going or send it in to Fox? It's a Float R 150mm, year 2011. I guess I'm wondering if it's safe to work it a bit more or is this a symptom of something more serious I HAVE to deal with quickly. Thanks folks!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Sounds like it's due for a service, and that's probably something a good local shop can do for you within a day, which will save you losing riding time waiting for Fox to do it.

All it involves is a seal and oil change, and if you have reasonable mechanical aptitude you can also buy the parts and do it yourself, there's a guide here. You only have to do the tasks relating to changing the seals and oil, not the servicing of the Float air spring.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Hey folks..Always love the help I get on here so I'll make it quick.

Good season of riding so far and noticing some buildup of oil on my right stanchion. Shock still seems plush, wouldn't have noticed without the obvious slickness-to-touch feeling. Never had to service a shock -- I know, crazy -- so wondering: should I just ride it out a month or two more while the season is still going or send it in to Fox? It's a Float R 150mm, year 2011. I guess I'm wondering if it's safe to work it a bit more or is this a symptom of something more serious I HAVE to deal with quickly. Thanks folks!
I'd say time for some new SKF seals bro.