Quantcast

OK, I have horrible eating habits... I need help

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
OK, I've been feeling pretty bad about how I eat lately, especially because i'm getting more and more into riding.

I eat a lot of crap food... Frozen pizza, Frozen chicken nuggets and fries, basically lots of frozen food. I'm in college, and dont have a lot of time or money to cook. I am also VERY picky about what I like.

Now to the question: I dont drink milk, and dont get a lot of protien/vitamins. What can I do to get more of the good stuff a not-really-growing anymore boy needs? I hear a lot about these protien shakes, do they really help?

Thanks for any input

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Dude I hate milk too, except when it comes in the form of ice cream:)

I don't eat alot of meat, if any at all so I get all of my protein from beans and boca burgers.

My suggestion would be to eat a balanced diet of everything. Remember moderation.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Yeah, I'm really going to take advice from somone named Snacks with A betty crocker avatar!

:D

No, but really, I was wonderinging if there was a good supplement I could eat or somthing

goosemagoo

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm in the same boat as far as frozen foods go. When I buy fresh stuff it always goes bad before I can find the time to cook it. So I buy frozen veggies so I can have them on hand when I get the time to actually cook something.

Next time you see boneless, skinnless chicken breasts on sale for ~$2 per pound, buy several packages and a box of 1QT zip-loc bags. Put 1 or 2 breasts in each bag and throw them in the freezer. They don't take anytime to thaw out.

Do the same thing with Pork Chops and a cut up piece of London Broil (Top Loin). A couple bags of frozen veggies and a few bags of flavored rice and you'll be eating much better and cheaper.

If you don't have a grill buy (add to xmas list) one of those small George Foreman grills for about 20 bucks. They work pretty good.

You said no milk. Taste or lactose intolerant? If it's the former and you like cereal remotely, try soy milk. I hate regular milk and it keeps for a month or so in the fridge. A bagel w/ peanut butter and an apple on the way to class isn't so bad for breakfast either.

Enough for now, I off to eat the last bowl of chili from a crock pot full I fixed sunday. Yum!

goosemagoo

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Virginia Beach, VA
Originally posted by BigMike
...I was wonderinging if there was a good supplement I could eat or somthing
I think 7-11 has power bars. They're pretty cheap compared to the other Meal Replacement Bars. Not as good for you but better than frozen pizza:D

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Supplements are just that, supplemental to a nutritional, balanced diet. I've found out that really, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as it is in moderation. Some protein after workouts is good, but make sure to keep your calories in check. Thats easy if you just eat foods in moderation.

Thats it, the secret of nutrition.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Yeah, I'm really going to take advice from somone named Snacks with A betty crocker avatar!

:D

No, but really, I was wonderinging if there was a good supplement I could eat or somthing
Hey! That's not nice:( ;)

Seriously: I do eat pretty healthy. I tend to go for a while eating good, followed by a not so good week.

I have found I eat better when I'm exercising regularing.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
What is this moderation thing you speak of? I eat constantly, and I eat a lot! I tried to do the whole "healthy" thing, it lasted about a week..... its really hard to just up and change the way you eat. any suggestions?

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
protein shakes aren't gonna help you get 'healthy' all of a sudden... it's real hard to stay in decent shape at school, but this is what my diet usuall is, supplemented with lifting and cardio workouts 5 days a week

breakfast: powerbar protein plus bar, lots of water

lunch: veggies, fruits, v8

dinner: chicken or fish, steak once in a while. all the veggies i can find.

i've cut out a lot of the bad carbs... only whole weat bread, etc... REALLY makes a difference. and i'm an ice cream fanatic... when i really get a craving i get Healthy Choice ice cream... yeah, it sounds like $%^, but its pretty decent

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by fasterTHANyou
protein shakes aren't gonna help you get 'healthy' all of a sudden... it's real hard to stay in decent shape at school, but this is what my diet usuall is, supplemented with lifting and cardio workouts 5 days a week

breakfast: powerbar protein plus bar, lots of water

lunch: veggies, fruits, v8

dinner: chicken or fish, steak once in a while. all the veggies i can find.

i've cut out a lot of the bad carbs... only whole weat bread, etc... REALLY makes a difference. and i'm an ice cream fanatic... when i really get a craving i get Healthy Choice ice cream... yeah, it sounds like $%^, but its pretty decent
Yeah, I know, nothing is going to get me healthy all the sudden. I know it'll be a long process, but.... I'm gonna try.

what are "bad" carbs? I pretty much eat bread, chicken, and potatoes. LOTS of carbs

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
[B
what are "bad" carbs? I pretty much eat bread, chicken, and potatoes. LOTS of carbs [/B]
white, starchy things. try to get as many whole grain things in to your diet and as many white, enriched, blah blah blah things out... check out menhealth.com or pick up their mag once in a while... it's a little trashy once in a while, but the nutrition stuff is usually pretty good

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I'm not the best person to give advice, because I started homebrewing again this Fall, and the pounds are piling on. It's just too yummy.

But if you want a healthy, complete meal replacement, try Champion Nutrition's Ultramet or Ultramet Lite. You can get them cheaply online at a few places, google it. I have tried a bunch of different meal replacements, and haven't found one that tastes better yet. I usually add a banana to mine. You don't have to use milk.

I love french fries, but make my own now. Bagged fries in the frozen section are soaked in palm kernel oil, which is supposedly one of the most unhealthy types of oil. Now I slice potatos into round slices, add olive oil and rosemary and bake at 450 for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt. Plantains are good that way too.

I'm also addicted to pizza, but I make my own whole wheat crusts and go easy on the cheese, so my pizza is very healthy.

I'm thinking about cutting out beer again for my new year's resolution. I lasted over half a year last time. ;)