Quantcast

Ok so I have $500ish

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What do you want to do?

I mean, if you're looking for a setup to capture top notch racing photos as a bid to be a pro, you may as well stick it in the bank and wait until you have more.

If you want to do weekend shots with a single lens and are willing to deal with any imposed limitations because of your budget, there are options for you.

What you want to do also affects what kind of lens you should buy (since, for that budget, you're probably only getting one).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I would save a little more cash. $500 will get you the bottom end of the consumer grade models (at least with a kit...)

Go for the best image quality you can afford. That means more than megapixels, it means a decent body with a good autofocus and metering systems, good image quality at high ISO settings, and a good LENS. Most any newer Nikon or Canon bodies will work. What doesn't work is putting crappy glass on the front. You can take a high end pro model body and a bad lens will ruin the pics.

Invest in decent lenses and you will still have them even after many camera bodies have worn out.

Having said this, it would be easier to offer recommendations with some more info. Cameras are like bikes and bike components...there's millions of choices.

What do you want to shoot?

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
My main goal is to capture high quality images for Product Reviews ... some being close up images. Other than that I'm hoping for enough versatility to capture weekend Race or Session photos with better than the average point and shoot quality.

Bear in miind I know jack **** about manually using a camera and all my photos in the past have been taken with a point and shoot in dummy mode.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
There are cameras that are kind of "in-between" point and shoots and DSLRs too. This used to be a pretty limited category, but the options in these types seem to have increased in both quality and variety lately, so it may be worth checking out. They won't give you the ability to get as fancy as you can with a DSLR (if you have more $$ to invest in lenses, flashes, etc.), but if you want better pictures/more control and all you have is $500, they are definitely worth considering.

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
Well I took the advice here to sit on my money ..... I waited and just purchased a T2i with the kit lens and a 55mm-200mm Telephoto lens. So far I am stunned with the images that I have taken just in the auto modes and cant wait to learn proper use.

Now begins the process of photography basics.... any good books or forums that you guys would recommend?

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
I think I will check out that Bryan Peterson book. as I saw it on amazon while doing random searche and it has very good reviews. Doesnt he also have a photography school?

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
Well I just hit Barnes and Noble and all they had was UNDERSTANDING PHOTOGRAPHY Field Guide by Bryan Peterson, so I picked that up as a start...

Are the camera specific books any good? They were telling the Magic Latern series sells really good ???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
IMO, the camera specific books are okay but you can learn just as much by perusing the manual and looking through the camera menus on your own - if you have the patience for that. If you just want something to read, though, then maybe a camera specific book is the way to go for you.

The books get good reviews and sell well primarily because people find the manuals or experimenting on your own to be intimidating. That's just fine - everyone learns differently - but a similar level of knowledge can be gained without buying the book. So it just depends on whether you'd like someone to walk you through it, or if you'd like to learn it on your own.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
A class at a JC is a good way to learn the basics as well. I took a photo class as an elective when I was in school. You can get a decent grasp on what everything does and how it works with someone to ask about what you are doing right/wrong. But, on the flip side, there's a lot to be learned by just playing around and reading. The beauty of digital is it doesn't really cost you anything besides time once you have a setup. I have a D60 (old Canon) my brother gave me. It's comparatively crappy compared to current offerings, but I think it still takes great pics, especially compared to even new point and shoots.

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
Well I am still just breaking the ICE but I love having a real camera .... I have been taking it on hikes with my kids and just shooting things whenever I get the chance.

Just purchased the CANON nifty fifty and a Speedlite 430ex II for XMAS ...