Quantcast

Ok XC peeps..... need advice.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
So on todays ride at lunch i jumped and when i landed i heard a pop/snap noise..... I check the bike out and it seems ok. Ride back to work, take off the wheel and notice i snapped a couple spokes. Im using my old singletrack wheelset from like 10 bikes ago.... :p . So its time to start looking into a new wheel/wheelset. Im sorta currently bound by a 20mm fork, unless i devise a converter like the azonic wheelset. On the rear I have a shimano xt hub with xtr internals and freehub. I'd say my hubs are ok, sorta heavy, but i have em. The rims are pretty toasted and the rear the nipples are breaking left and right. I was looking at rim choices, keeping with sun rims, and was curious if i should stick with the single tracks, or step down to the lighter ds1-xc welded rim? Its narrower, but has pretty much the same profile. Will my fat ass kill these wheels? Ive done a little math and with those rims and some kenda kevlar tires i'd drop 2 lbs off the bike right there. I was also unsure how long i was going to keep the 20mm fork. The crowns are starting to creek again, and that manitou minute is an appealing fork.......that would also drop another 1.5 or so lbs off the bike getting me closer to the 30lb stock weight.

so to re-ask the Q: would sun DS-1 XC rims be ok, or should i stick with singletracks?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
what is "xc" for you? i run rims much lighter than singletracks on my xc bike (mavic x221) without incident, but then again my xc is very conservative. the evil lives with singletracks, atomic dhrs on the big bike. given that your xc has jumping, i'd stick with singletracks. if "jumping" is really curb-jumping or the like ;) then maybe lighter would be called for.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Toshi said:
what is "xc" for you? i run rims much lighter than singletracks on my xc bike (mavic x221) without incident, but then again my xc is very conservative. the evil lives with singletracks, atomic dhrs on the big bike. given that your xc has jumping, i'd stick with singletracks. if "jumping" is really curb-jumping or the like ;) then maybe lighter would be called for.
Good point. I guess XC to me can still be pretty aggressive. Rock and root launches, drops up to 3'?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
Good point. I guess XC to me can still be pretty aggressive. Rock and root launches, drops up to 3'?
Kevin runs single tracks on the Tirade and hasn't had any problems. You two are about the same size.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
oly,
Stay with the singletracks or rhyno lites. I'm 220 myself and won't consider going lighter on the rims. Compared to my MAG 30s (plus tires) my XC wheels (rhyno lites + Panaracer FirePros) are plenty lite.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oly said:
ok, that sounds pretty much like my xc, with my xc-drops only going up to 2.5' maybe :D. i'm 200 and my x221 rims have held up fine... of course, i've ridden the xc bike maybe only a dozen times since last summer, as the evil gets all the miles.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i wish i could give you advise on rims but i've been running my Bontrager Clydesdales for about 4 years now and i've had them trued once, just slightly..... But they're piggies.....
I wouldn't trade my Fox Talas for anything, i take it off and have sex with it sometimes just don't tell anyone o.k.? :dancing:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Skookum said:
i wish i could give you advise on rims but i've been running my Bontrager Clydesdales for about 4 years now and i've had them trued once, just slightly..... But they're piggies.....
I wouldn't trade my Fox Talas for anything, i take it off and have sex with it sometimes just don't tell anyone o.k.? :dancing:
I think you guys backed up my gut instinct. Stay with the Singletracks.

Your secret is safe on the internet.

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
I think another component to think about is how the wheel is built. You are used to a lot of suspension 'love', the DH bike, so you probably hit things a bit hard(er) on the XC rig. I would make sure you get your wheels built well, like by Lumberjack, and your spoke/wheel issues should remain low.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
toughguymagee said:
I think another component to think about is how the wheel is built. You are used to a lot of suspension 'love', the DH bike, so you probably hit things a bit hard(er) on the XC rig. I would make sure you get your wheels built well, like by Lumberjack, and your spoke/wheel issues should remain low.
LJ does build good wheels. He did my hadley/doubletrack. Ive learned from this wheel thats failing not to use alloy nipples. The weight savings is small and the life short. Im broke now so ill just be replacing spokes with whats in my junk drawer for a little while.....