Quantcast

Okay all you Station Wagon owners - what do you drive and how do you like it?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This area has to have the highest concentration of old Volvo wagons of anywhere. A guy I worked with put over 200+ miles on one until the transmission blew up. No idea why they don't hold their value as well.
Cause nobody wants em!

Volvos are good cars and they're still well made...they're just massively boring and they really don't do anything well.

If you don't buy that Subaru, check out some audis on Audifans.com and CL, etc. You can pick up an A6 avant for not too much, or an A4 for cheaper. If you want to get nuts, you can get an older 20vtA. I used to own a 200tqA and it was rad. Lots of space and it drove like a car. It had 190k mi on it though, and that's a lot.

Miles are miles, btw, so unless the car is new, you can expect a car with a lot of miles to have a lot of problems. Things wear out over time. Would you buy a bike that the PO hadn't cleaned and lubed the bearings or drivetrain every 25 or 50hr of riding? A lot of people beat on their cars, and I would never buy a car with that high miles without a good record or if I was poor. The Audi I bought satisfied both conditions.

Also note, Subarus are NOT big inside. You really don't gain much room when compared to a Civic hatch or Golf when you go with a sub wagon. I am constantly disappointed when I ride in them.

Mark - I've said it before and I'll say it again..... find the car you want and the dealer that has it and walk in (with a preapproved loan from somewhere, if you need one) and the highest price you'd pay in your head.

Then you tell the dealer what you want and what you want to pay for it. There's no better feeling walking out of a dealership KNOWING they are going to call you and BEG you the next morning to buy their car.

If you aren't financing it through them, they don't care if you are paying cash or getting a loan. Money is money to them. Are you an AAA member? Get a preapproved loan from them.

THEN, after the deal is done, tell the dealer you'll finance with them if they can beat the rate you've gotten from AAA. For rates, you'll do the best with a credit union - but I'm not sure if you are a member of any. They'd love to loan you the money too - but it sure is easier to negotiate if you have the money in hand.

Find the car and the dealer and let's go shopping!!

ps - SUBIE SUBIE SUBIE

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
cash in hand does not equal 33% reduction in price. mark's budget is 6Kish.
I picked up a Civic priced at $4000 for $2000. That's a %50 reduction in price. If a seller is having a hard time moving his product, he'll be willing to deal just to get rid of it. There's no harm in trying. Many people have retardedly high offering prices, and are just stupid. Some people have high asking prices so they get the price they actually want. Yeah, 9-6 isn't going to be easy, but if the car is right maybe he could swing an extra $500. Then it's 9-7, which is closer to 20%. If you show up as the only interested party with MONEY, ready to go, he won't let you walk.

It was just a suggestion, I know plenty of stupid people who pay asking prices without trying to negotiate even a little.

I for one would rather try a little and get a good car, then not try and get junk.

edit: You are correct though, when I first started looking, I thought his budget was 7, which is why I posted the 9k cars. It can be done, but not always.

Back OT: I like Audis, they ride nice and have great driving dynamics. My roomate has one too, and he loves it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Audis are definitely nice - but repairs compared to a Subaru at a given mileage are more likely to be not only more numerous, but more expensive.

I would not recommend an Audi - even though I really like them.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
1996 Chevy Caprice Wagon:
I can attest to the bullet-proofness of the Caprice...they run them at our training facility, and despite my best attempts, I've yet to destroy one...the instructors have told me that my treatment of the car would have left several other non-Caprice transmissions on the pavement.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Did a Protoge 5 search and it didn't turn up anything promising.
P5's are still holding their value pretty well. I picked mine up new for a hair over $12k new while the bluebook listing is around $9k w/ 84,000ish miles. So they may be on the tall end of your requirments.

However, its a great little car. No problems whatsoever, and its actually fun to drive....living 25 minutes from deals gap proves that! My only gripes are its a little down on power w/ lots of people + cargo and the oem tires blow goats in the snow. But, 30mpg w/ 2 bikes on the roof and room to spare is damn nice.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
I talked with a bunch of older model outback owners before I bought mine and they were all very happy.
edit: I drive an outback and it is the best car I've ever owned.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Forget about 'good looks quotient', just find something that will be reliable and cheap to run. Then you can buy more bikes.

The Taurus (once described by a mag editor as the car that 'announces you've finally given up on your dreams') is a solid car. Same goes for the Oldsmobuick caprice. A clapped out volvo or subaru won't score you points anyway.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm almost up to 90k miles on my WRX Wagon and also going on 3 years...

I've been thinking of getting something else this year...dunno what tho. call me stupid, but I've been thinking of a 2006 Dodge Sprinter:

but that wouldn't be as fun to drive as my Suby...
thinking about living out of your car again? ;)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
think I'd be nuts to look at a 95 Nissan Quest with only 68k on it owned by an elderly couple who reside in Bristol who traded it in to get a Chevy from a local dealership?

think I'd be nuts to look at a 95 Nissan Quest with only 68k on it owned by an elderly couple who reside in Bristol who traded it in to get a Chevy from a local dealership?
ask them why they want to trade a quest for a POS Chevy!

and yeah, probably. A 95? Really? that's like 12 model years old - even if it sat in a driveway, it was still subjected to the New England seasons......