Quantcast

Old newb

baldmtber

Chimp
Apr 8, 2005
Lubbock,Tx
Howdy from west Texas ya'll.
New to the board but not new to MTBing. I have been MTBing since the late '80s. After racing BMX professionally for about 6 years, I gave it up and tried MTBing. Rode off and on for the next 18 years (I'm 42). Well after spending the last year or so racing MTB's pretty seriously, I have decided to slow down a little and try something different.(Got tired of all the training and seriousness,wasn't having fun anymore) I recently purchased a hardtail Marin freeride/dirtjump bike. I love to ride fast downhills but got tired of all the climbing in actual MTB races. Also there are not many XC courses that have jumps.
Although I am older and not a great jumper, I still like to try it. One thing I would like from y'all is to give me some advice on setting my bike up to do a downhill race. Iplan on doing my first one on April 24th in Cloudcroft,N.M. I will be entering the novice class and I could use some setup tips.
Right now my bike is pretty much stock. I just put a chain guide on the front and got rid of the front derailleur. Anyways my bike has a Manitou Stance fork (130mm), front and rear Hayes mechanical discs, Truvativ 5 D cranks,Alivio rear der.,etc. Some of the components are low end and I will be upgrading in the future.
One question I have is about tire pressure. Do you guys run a high or low pressure? The tires I am running (Kenda Kenetics) recommend 40-60lbs. Should I run the recommended pressure or lower? I always ran about 30lbs psi on my XC country bike.
Do you run a softer or more rigid fork setting for downhill? I noticed that if I run a stiffer setting for jumping it seems to handle better. I am sure I will have more Q's but this is getting kind of long and I don't want to take up any more space for now. I really like the site and will be on more frequently. Thanks for all your help!

Parabola

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Seattle
Welcome :)

That's all I really have to offer since I'm new myself. I'm curious about the answers to your questions also.

Cheers

CunningStunt

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
Orange County, CA
Low pressure is possible with tubless conversions like Stans No Tubes system. Tires are not created equal, check out the Kenda Blue Groove or Nevegal for a wider tire that will grip better and run at a lower pressure. Jumps are better with stiffer suspension so your resist bottoming-out when you land. Downhill racing favors a plushier feel for repeat small hits. Enjoy the Marin, they make great bikes for the cost.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Everyone that I know runs as low a pressure as they can get away with. If you run DH cased tires on your bike you should be able to run fairly low pressure. I run about 20-25 lbs on my bike, but I only weigh 140 and have 7" of travel front and rear which helps. I don't know anything about the kinetics, but run as low a pressure as you can get away with. As for the fork, run it wherever it feels the best. Everyone has their own preferences. OH yeah.....And have fun!! :D