Quantcast

Older/Cheaper Dirt Jump Bike

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I understand that this would be more properly suited to the BMX/DJ thread but the lounge gets far more traffic these days….

I’m thinking about getting a dirt jump bike. I’m not a kid but I have an amazing pump track 10-15 minutes from the house. It seems like getting an older (less expensive) DJ bike might be fun. Plus as an old school BMX guy it might be a bit more fun than riding a road bike for exercise. I may even take it to the BMX track for a practice day for fun.

Recommendations appreciated. I’m way out of touch with this stuff.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I'd start by going to facebook marketplace and searching for "FOX 831"

That way you can find a used DJ with a good fork. Most older DJ bikes are worth maybe 5-800 bucks but the new ones sell for lots. Depends on the parts.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I understand that this would be more properly suited to the BMX/DJ thread but the lounge gets far more traffic these days….

I’m thinking about getting a dirt jump bike. I’m not a kid but I have an amazing pump track 10-15 minutes from the house. It seems like getting an older (less expensive) DJ bike might be fun. Plus as an old school BMX guy it might be a bit more fun than riding a road bike for exercise. I may even take it to the BMX track for a practice day for fun.

Recommendations appreciated. I’m way out of touch with this stuff.
go on the poston pump track riders fb page and ask there?

what's close to you? only local good ones i know of are poston and rock hill (for straight bmx; the pump track there is crappy). or were you thinking for purser jumps?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
go on the poston pump track riders fb page and ask there?

what's close to you? only local good ones i know of are poston and rock hill (for straight bmx; the pump track there is crappy). or were you thinking for purser jumps?
You know me and know I’m a straight up old dude. No Purser jumps for me (maybe the small ones - real small).

I was thinking the track at Beatty. Lots of work done there over the last year or so.

Edit: didn’t know about the poston group. I’ll check that!

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I scored an older P3 for my boy off marketplace and upgraded a couple things. It was $100 to start with and was ridable.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I scored an older P3 for my boy off marketplace and upgraded a couple things. It was $100 to start with and was ridable.
Something like this is what I’m after. The very low budget option to get started. Don’t need the $100 steal but similar.