Quantcast

Older Marzocchi 66RC2X question...

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
Hey guys,

In my ongoing dilemma on whether to scrap both of my bikes for a new do-it-all bike, I've also contemplated my fork options on my existing bikes.

My '08 Slayer SXC 30 desperately needs a new fork as the stock Marz 55R is a pile of !@#!! and I'm not going to send it in one more time. My Bullit has an '06 66RC2X that is actually lighter than the 55 and is more plush than any 2012 product I've tried. Seriously, I hesitate to get rid of this fork.

So I was thinking, maybe if I could put an ETA cartridge in the thing, it would go nicely on my Slayer. I don't know much about Marzocchi these days. They used to be the best company in the biz, but now their quality is pretty much rock-bottom. Could I still get one of those old cartridges? My 66 is actually only about 1/2" taller than the 55, so I might be fine even without ETA, but on steep techy climbs it would be real nice to lower it down a few inches.

If I went that route, I'd just look for a newer DH fork to put on my Bullit. A Boxxer, perhaps? I was thinking about getting a more burly all-mountain bike like the SX Trail, but climbing my Bullit the other day vs. my Slayer I was like "damn, it's nice to climb a 31 pound bike that still rallies quite decently, rather than lug a 40 pounder up the hill just for the 10-20 seconds of true DH on the trail."

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Give Marzocchi a call. As of 2010 I was able to order some parts for the air cartridge in my 06 SL. Otherwise you may be able to find the air cartridge. It will make it ride lighter comparatively (I had the spring cartridge at one point). Unfortunately it is still a pretty tall fork, so it makes it a little tough on the ups regardless.

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
^^Thank you for the reply. I was beginning to lose faith in the Ridemonkey community's knowledge; as out of almost 200 views you're the only one who apparently knows anything on the subject.

As for the fork, neither weight nor height is an issue; the OEM 55R is actually heavier, only 1/2" shorter axle to crown, and performs like a pile of crap compared to my 66. If I was able to even reduce the travel by 2" for climbing (should be easily within the ETA cartridge's capabilities), I'd be able to climb almost anything. How does that cartridge affect the performance? I'm willing to accept a slight downgrade to gain that ETA feature. As I stated before, the 66RC2X in stock form is nearly unbeatable.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
I was beginning to lose faith in the Ridemonkey community's knowledge; as out of almost 200 views you're the only one who apparently knows anything on the subject.
To be fair, your post was long and rambly, and everything bike-related on this forum belongs in the DH section.