Quantcast

Olympus SP-550 UZ... another camera ? thread

sooo, i'm in the hunt for a camera of my own now that the Arpeture motor on my old Yashica SLR is fried... and has been for the past year...
my parents have an Olympus SP-510 UZ and when i can sneak it out of my house, it is the camera that has taken nearly all of my biking pictures... i absolutley love the camera- its relatively light, tough as nails, takes awesome pictures in every mode and shoots clear video... only thing it lacks is a burst mode...

the SP-550 has a 15fps. burst mode, and i have personally used one before... its amazing and the clarity of the pics is awesome! i also like how the camera is all stealth looking- its mostly black with some silver touches on the body...

anyways, i was looking to see if any Monkeys have this camera or know anyone that does... would you reccomend it for getting DH shots, but also for my taste for super macro photography? if later down the line i were able to get a lens adapter and a new lens, do these work well?

and its in my price range... i cant spend over $250... at least i dont want to...

:cheers:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I have an Olympus SP-510 UZ as well. I bought it for it's macro capabilities and it's price. I had been taking shots of my jewelry with an original Canon AE-1 and macro lens. Since photography went digital I decided to step into the modern world. The Olympus does great for the web in macro mode, but it can't come close to the old Canon as far as over all quality. Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't been very impressed with the clarity of non-macro shots. It doesn't take action shots well and often produces blurry images. That's ok because that's not what I bought it for.

yeah, it is an awesome camera for its price and i would take it any day, but i just really want a burst mode...
interesting how your action pictures dont turn out good... i've almost never used anything but the auto mode for my action pictures, but i do want to experiment with it, so i'll tell you if i figure something out in another setting! if you want...