Quantcast

Omaha Steaks

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Any of you monkeys tried Omaha Steaks? I've heard that they are really good meat, but on the expensive side. I got a coupon in the mail to try them at a reduced rate with 4 free 1/4# burgers.
I've gotten them as gifts from my suppliers and they are good.

I have also taken to sending them out to friends and family at Christmas time and everyone likes them.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The meat is only decent, a good butcher will have better meat. Add that to the price which is on the expensive side, and they're just not worth it.

That is, unless you live a long way from a good butcher or would just like to receive your meat in the mail.

That said, the dry ice they pack the coolers with is loads of fun :D

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Any of you monkeys tried Omaha Steaks? I've heard that they are really good meat, but on the expensive side. I got a coupon in the mail to try them at a reduced rate with 4 free 1/4# burgers.
Got a box of stuff from them for Christmas, an assortment of steaks and burgers. The stuff was extremely average. One of my first thoughts after cooking and eating the first steaks was I was glad it was a gift, and I didn't pay for it. There's nothing really wrong with it, but I found the meat to be on the bland side. Had to add seasonings to the burgers for flavor, and dry-rubbed the steaks.

Take the advice of the others and buy from a local butcher shop instead.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Elk is the best thing I have ever tasted.

Killed by the vet I worked for and prepared/cut by a butcher.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Frozen steak?

Ack! Why ever would you buy something like that? Go to the local supermarket and get some cut for chrissakes. It'd be better than those things.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I never said I was going to buy the stuff, I was just wondering what others thought of it before I laid out the cash for mail order meat. Seems the consensus is that the local cutter is better. I think if I'm going to pay a premium for meat, then I'm going to look the cutter in the eye as he cuts.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
actually, elk is pretty damn awesome. no chance it lands on menus out in the east, though.

as is reindeer meat. had a bunch of that in finland last year, and it was great.
my dad shot an Oryx one year down on White Sands Missile Range... that was even better tasting meat than elk.