Quantcast

On automobiles in general

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
TPMS light is constantly lit in my Subaru because swapping between winter and summer wheels doesn't seem to have any easy way to reset without paying the dealer $50 twice a year. The gizmo I bought from tirerack didn't do squat.
Bought the gizmo on Amazon for $20, works good.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Sounds like you need a truck. :homer:
I do, i use the shit out of trucks. I do also have a fleet. Its embarrassing at times. The management of it all can be daunting. Im also a collector, not to be confused with hording as my stuff is organized.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Bought the gizmo on Amazon for $20, works good.
At this point I'm not sure if the sensors in the winter wheels were never enabled by tirerack or if one of them is faulty.

The gizmo seems to change the ecu settings from my upload/download testing, but the car still bitches at me. I just haven't got around to covering the light with electrical tape yet this winter.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
At this point I'm not sure if the sensors in the winter wheels were never enabled by tirerack or if one of them is faulty.

The gizmo seems to change the ecu settings from my upload/download testing, but the car still bitches at me. I just haven't got around to covering the light with electrical tape yet this winter.
The sensors must be the right frequency for the car and the tool must be the right frequency for the sensors, there are a few commonly used ones, so it’s possible to have the incorrect one.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The sensors must be the right frequency for the car and the tool must be the right frequency for the sensors, there are a few commonly used ones, so it’s possible to have the incorrect one.
Tool plugs into the odbc port to swap between summer and winter sets.

Wheels/sensors were bought for a Subaru.

I think I just need to go to a tire place and have them check the 4 sensors are even working. I just refuse to pay the Subaru dealer to do it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sounds like you need the programming tool that to take around to each wheel and activate the sensor with, this has to be done any time to change wheels.

On 99% of cars, you set the car in its “learning” mode and go around to each wheel (sensor) with the tool.

Sounds like it would be easier to just occasionally go around to each wheel with a pressure gauge, as @Westy suggested earlier (I think?).
So an example: Someplace on I81 southbound after dark in the van. TPMS alerts. Look at pressure, which is dropping, but not so fast as not to be able to find an exit and a lighted parking lot, where I changed the tire.

Now let's replay without TPMS. Shit, steering's getting way funky, Pull into the breakdown lane. deal with all that shit in the dark with traffic going by at 80 MPH. No fucking way.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
My truck Bluetooth works great. Android audio works great. The heating and AC has knobs. Everything else can be accessed from steering wheel the menu opens up on the dash between the tachometer and speedometer I see a picture of the truck with the pressure if each tire displayed. Power tailgate lock LED lights under the bed rails to light up the bed when the tonneau cover is closed I get 22-24 mpg highway four door adults fit in back seat leather with heated seats why wouldn't I want a truck and the best part the boss reimburses me for the gas and payment

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
So an example: Someplace on I81 southbound after dark in the van. TPMS alerts. Look at pressure, which is dropping, but not so fast as not to be able to find an exit and a lighted parking lot, where I changed the tire.

Now let's replay without TPMS. Shit, steering's getting way funky, Pull into the breakdown lane. deal with all that shit in the dark with traffic going by at 80 MPH. No fucking way.
My dad always told me a wheel aint worth your life. Just drive it on the wheel to a safe spot. But ya TPMS is rad when it works good.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
After I crashed the Racing Honda (I JimmyDeaned it) I bought a Rav 4 at the auction joint. I seriously hate this vehicle more then the Racing Nissan. You simply cannot call it the Racing Toyota. I was going to give it to my niece and she didn't want it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
After I crashed the Racing Honda (I JimmyDeaned it) I bought a Rav 4 at the auction joint. I seriously hate this vehicle more then the Racing Nissan. You simply cannot call it the Racing Toyota. I was going to give it to my niece and she didn't want it.

I suspect that you may not be happy because of the fact that your purchased a RAV 4.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I like my RDX, :dirol:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
My list of things I'd like for my next car:

1) Fully autonomous (so I can nap or fap on the way to work)
2) Me not owning it
Coworker was just telling me about teaching his daughter to drive. She can't even drive by herself yet, treats stop signs as optional and already totaled their car. She's 15.

We need autonomous vehicles ASAP.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Coworker was just telling me about teaching his daughter to drive. She can't even drive by herself yet, treats stop signs as optional and already totaled their car. She's 15.

Can you get a learners permit or something at 15 there? I can only imagine what their insurance thinks of that claim... wow.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Is there an app for that?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

My former boss's wife took their girl twins for their first lesson into a church parking lot and they crashed into and collapsed one of the side wood stairways of the church. :D Not only the boss ended up with a sizeable bill, his wifey also almost ended up in jail because they hadn't secured the learner's permit first and riding without one comes with a mandatory jail time in Mass. Luckily for them, the parking lot was on private land.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My former boss's wife took their girl twins for their first lesson into a church parking lot and they crashed into and collapsed one of the side wood stairways of the church. :D Not only the boss ended up with a sizeable bill, his wifey also almost ended up in jail because they hadn't secured the learner's permit first and riding without one comes with a mandatory jail time in Mass. Luckily for them, the parking lot was on private land.
:panic:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

An older buddy of mine has some twin sons who are in their early twenties. They have totaled 7 cars between the two of them. He eventually kicked them out of the house as their records even impacted his insurance rates. They claim none of the accidents have been their faults, but there is only one common denominator between them. They seem to hit large deer constantly, get t-boned at traffic lights and get rear ended in shitty weather.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
An older buddy of mine has some twin sons who are in their early twenties. They have totaled 7 cars between the two of them. He eventually kicked them out of the house as their records even impacted his insurance rates. They claim none of the accidents have been their faults, but there is only one common denominator between them. They seem to hit large deer constantly, get t-boned at traffic lights and get rear ended in shitty weather.
:panic::panic: