Quantcast

OneUp Dropper Post

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Price seems fair. The adjustability is meaningless for me.

If the service intervals are long and cheap to DIY, they’ll have a winner.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ordered mine yesterday. Should arrive tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it is after the weekend

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yep...

Brraaaapppp!!

it's a small so it came with a silly little 120mm dropper.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Contacted OneUP today. They're only just shipping it today so unlikely I'll have it for the weekend.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I got one for a new warranty build that has a different seat post size. I can so far report a few things:
  • Works well in the garage and not on a bicycle. Manual thumb actuation is on point.
  • Does not include the shim - are you kidding me OneUp? Shim is another $10 and is not available till May 14 so that actually may jam up my entire build NEED THE SHIMZZZZ
  • Looks really clean - because it's new.
  • The actuator assembly is actually pretty slick. LOADS easier to work with than my KS Lev. No pinch bolts, fiddling with 2mm screws, etc
  • Includes a cool little rubber (neoprene?) cover, moisture/crud guard under the saddle clamp and on top of the schrader air valve. I like this little feature. Seems like a good thought.
  • It was $185 off Jenson (with Active Junky discount) - rad

Pairing it with a Wolftooth Remote which looks like an incredibly fine piece of kit. Well, there's my "not-yet-mounted on the bike but fiddling in my garage" review. You heard it here first I'll report back next week with a ride review, assuming that this thing fits my new frame without da shim. It'll be close. Like....a few mm's. God I am freaking out.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Got mine too. Agree with all of the above.
[edit] except the wolftooth part.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If we're doing an unboxing review by old skool forum chat thing here my Oneupcomponents seatpost arrived yesterday. Unfortunately I can't fit it as the bike it's for has an internal butted ring inside the seat tube at the bottom restricting how deep I can insert the post.
I had a play with it before i realised it wouldn't fit so I'll give you a quick review from the parts I recieved.
The post. from top to bottom:
The saddle clamp is a two bolt system with quality (what look to be stainless) steel fastening hardware, the top nuts are the recessed type you find on a lot of twin bolt saddle clamps (reverb Nukeproof etc). Bolts are pre-loctited. The saddle rail cradle is well made and easy to use. it's not far off a Reverb in design (not a bad thing) but cleverly holds the saddle at a lower stack height than other designs.
Underneath the saddle clamp lies the schraeder valve which is covered by a really nicely made and well thought out rubber bung to keep crap out.
The stanchion is shiny anodised black and looks to be as good quality as a Reverb. time will tell, eh?
The wiper/dust seal is a quality garter sealed item.
The post itself has anodised markings for height but they are not numbered. instead they spell out O N E U P C O M P O N E N T S with the letters evenly spaced apart down to the MIN insertion line. looks good and it's a practical enough solution for remembering the height you prefer it at.
down towards the base of the post an external section is butted inwards and then the last cm ish goes back to the same diameter as the rest of the post. I'm not sure why they've done this. no doubt something to do with how the cartridge sits inside. The actuator is quite a clever design. instead of a lever being pulled like so many mechanical droppers. it uses a button where the cable end is fixed and it's actually the outer (ferrule) that depresses the button on the cartridge. this whole assembly is anodised green, feels very well made and is cleverly thought out. The action is very light and attaching the cable is a dawdle.
The psot raises and lowers smoothly and fairly fast with a fairly powerful top out clunk. I didn't check the Psi so this may be adjustable by altering pressure.
I ordered the SRAM Matchmaker lever. Again a quality solid piece of kit. Very lightweight. so light infact it seems like cheap plastic until you loook closely and see it's far from it.. Action is smooth in operation with a sealed bearing for the lever pivot. Only time will tell how long the bearing here will last. but it should be easily replacable when required. The lever is shorter than most so should also have a shorter throw allowing you to activate it with less of a stretch. The lever has two mounting holes for fine tuning the distance it sits relative to your grip. a nice touch as we don't all have our levers in the same position on our bars. The cable end is pinched with a decent sized grub screw which looks properly made for the job.
It comes with a length of inner and outer cable and 2 ferules.
There are no instructions in the box but they are available online should you need them. (once you've figured out how the actuator works here's really no need for instructions).

I've emailed OneUP to ask to exchange the post for a 150mm which should just fit. if not. it'll only be a few mm too long so I can shim it down.

The actual box is cardboard ;)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Did you try hammer?
Was tempted but then I remembered the old proverb. "Measure twice. SMASH once" ;)

The OEM dropper the bike arrived with is a Brand X it's listed as 410x 120mm drop. it isn't it's 380mm. the extra 30mm is the actuator.
Seemed like the butting has been put there to work as a reinforcing ring for where the seatpost splits into two upright supports and the shock passes through underneath there's also a big weighty buzzy thing bolted underneath some of the angrier guys here would love to take a sledge hammer to ;)

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Got my first ride in on this thing. Mated to the Wolftooth Remote. Damn....smooth. No wiggle at all in the saddle like my LEVs have had. Return was super solid. You can really "feel" when the actuator is engaged, so you know when you deploy your bum on the saddle to lower it. Again, 1 ride, but ya, it worked well....

Also 170mm drop is yuge. I mean wow. Been on a 125mm drooper since the whole science bumstick became a thing, what in maybe 2013 or so? Jumping to 170 - where did the bike go. Honestly I may shim this puppy down to 150 and just toy around to see where I land on preference.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Got my first ride in on this thing. Mated to the Wolftooth Remote. Damn....smooth. No wiggle at all in the saddle like my LEVs have had. Return was super solid. You can really "feel" when the actuator is engaged, so you know when you deploy your bum on the saddle to lower it. Again, 1 ride, but ya, it worked well....

Also 170mm drop is yuge. I mean wow. Been on a 125mm drooper since the whole science bumstick became a thing, what in maybe 2013 or so? Jumping to 170 - where did the bike go. Honestly I may shim this puppy down to 150 and just toy around to see where I land on preference.
back in december i got a new dropper, e13 TRS. went from 100mm to 150mm. huge difference. they just released a 170 version i'm considering, i'm fairly tall so i could definitely take advantage of it.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
How do u like that e13 primitive rack and pinion setup?

Got one coming on my new bike...
love my old Lev, other than the play it’s developed, and I hate maintenance.

back in december i got a new dropper, e13 TRS. went from 100mm to 150mm. huge difference. they just released a 170 version i'm considering, i'm fairly tall so i could definitely take advantage of it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i actually really like it. i wasn't sure if i was gonna dig the fixed positions, but i've come to really like them because they offer some consistency / predictability as to where your saddle height is gonna end up.

other than that, it operates like a mechanical dropper. haven't had any issues, rode it all winter.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Nice thanks. Yea fixed positions seems like it could be a positive on 150mill. I’m always futzing about with “in between” settings.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nice thanks. Yea fixed positions seems like it could be a positive on 150mill. I’m always futzing about with “in between” settings.
it does take a little getting used to if you're coming off an infinite adjust variety (ie basically anything else on the market). not that it's difficult, more of just "oh this is a little different"

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

They seem to work well, we've Lev's on our trail bikes but I put the e13's on the winter fat bikes due to the simple design.

I've had to fix a couple of things on them, my 150mm needed the stronger return spring fitting, super simple to do. Wife's 125mm version seemed to be missing a brass key that mean the saddle clamp would rotate on the stanchion. e13 were quick to send out parts for both issues and they were easy to fit.

What new bike didja get?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’m doing my cheapskate part to blow up the industry... YT Capra!

Not here yet of course...

Current 110 rear travel isn’t cutting it in socal.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yea it’s kinda dope. There is a lot of great riding, and no winter. Still finding new-to-me trails with serious vert, after 2 years... all easily day trippable. So much better than NYC.

Would have preferred moving back to the Bay, but cost of living is worse,
and gf’s industry doesn’t exist so much there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yea it’s kinda dope. There is a lot of great riding, and no winter. Still finding new-to-me trails with serious vert, after 2 years... all easily day trippable. So much better than NYC.

Would have preferred moving back to the Bay, but cost of living is worse,
and gf’s industry doesn’t exist so much there.
what part of LA?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm 178cm (5'9 cubits or whatever you guys use) and running a 160mm Revive on both my bikes. Would happily run the the 180mm version if I could. I've seen guys limiting the travel on their droppers for personal reasons but I'm still definitely in the "more-is-better" camp at the moment.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
depends, eh?

for me on a full suspension bike 125mm is actually enough for descending even the steepest stuff you'll ever ride but 150mm is slightly better. 170mm is worse for descending (thigh/saddle edge control) but better for anything that involves squatting/preloading the bike like manualling and bunnyhopping or making shapes in the air.
On a hardtail 170mm for descending, 250mm for messing about/jumping is about right.

If you ride clips less drop is necessary too.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
250mm for messing about/jumping is about right.
Thats not a dropper, thats riding a Spot frame off a 30cm drop....

I find everyone's preference different though. XC riders seem happy with 20mm of drop. On the Enduro(tm) rig, massive drop is necessary for me cos it alternates between fireroad climbs and then dropping down DH tracks. The trail bike does less rowdy shit so less drop is necessary. Each to their own - I suspect body geometry contributes to this somewhat but I'm not a doctor.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
100mm minimum for my XC rig, although I have it set up with the 125 revive. More is generally better, but weighs more, so it's a balance and 125 is enough to descend most anything IME. Worth saying that the dropper was worth every penny in the 50 mile XC Whiskey Off-Road this last weekend. The Revive is just like butter and so effortless to compress, unlike my Transfer and anything else I've tried. Was great in Sedona too. I actually lowered it at times to make it up some of the crazy switchbacks up Made in the Shade and Highline (as opposed to going downhill).

The other thing I worry about with MOAR is MOAR flex, bushing wear, etc. This isn't like forks where the stanchion size is generally bigger with more travel, so I expect to see worse wear and tear on longer models and I'm generally skeptical of them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you ride clips less drop is necessary too.
I'm curious why you think that. I go back and forth between clips and flats, and don't find that the amount of drop that I want changes much. The combination of flat pedals and shoes tends to be thinner than the clip setup, so I do mess with the overall height when switching.

For what it's worth, I'm about 6' tall, and am coming from more of a DH race background. I'm no nobodies idea of a stylish jumper, more interested in going fast than looking good I guess. I'm sure ifI want more drop if I was trying to throw tricks more, but that's less my jam. I'm also pretty happy with similar drop between my squshy bikes and hardtails, though I do run the seat lower overall on the hardtails because I just do more of my climbing on those standing

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm curious why you think that. I go back and forth between clips and flats, and don't find that the amount of drop that I want changes much. The combination of flat pedals and shoes tends to be thinner than the clip setup, so I do mess with the overall height when switching.

For what it's worth, I'm about 6' tall, and am coming from more of a DH race background. I'm no nobodies idea of a stylish jumper, more interested in going fast than looking good I guess. I'm sure ifI want more drop if I was trying to throw tricks more, but that's less my jam. I'm also pretty happy with similar drop between my squshy bikes and hardtails, though I do run the seat lower overall on the hardtails because I just do more of my climbing on those standing
I've heard of people that run droppers "as low as they'll go" and they just deal with whatever they get at full extension. They think the dropper has to/should sit flush with the seatpost collar. I find these two ideas to be absolutely ridiculous, but there are people that appear to have this perception.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've heard of people that run droppers "as low as they'll go" and they just deal with whatever they get at full extension. They think the dropper has to/should sit flush with the seatpost collar. I find these two ideas to be absolutely ridiculous, but there are people that appear to have this perception.
These are the same people whose bikes go farting through the trail with the seat buzzing the tire.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
This is nonsense to a degree that I'm almost convinced you're a lizard.
This . I've been clipped almost my entire MTB history -with the obvious exception of my dirt jumper- and riding clips vs flats has nothing to do with it.

On the other side, I'm with @toodles on this one: the 125mm Reverb in my Rallon gives me bruises on my inner thighs when bombing through the chunder, since I can't drop it moar while maintaining a good climbing/cruising saddle height. I'm 183cm or 6ft tall and used to push with my upper knees against the saddle to steer the bike. So I'm about to exchange it for a 150mm one in order to be able to ride it flush against the seat post collar. Plus my frame doesn't have all that fancy low standover height so in fashion with the younglings these days.

Last edited: