Quantcast

Opinions needed on DJ lid

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I'm planning on getting a (long overdue) new helmet soon and I want some opinions about bmx/dj style helmets. Coming from a XC background, this will be my first one. Money is a huge factor, second only to fit. I tried on some protec's the other day and they felt good. Any others that you guys absolutely love or that are an awesome deal?

Mar 30, 2004
Lexington, KY
Giro Semi MX. The helmet is more skate oriented, but has quite a few vents and fits very well. I believe it's about $45 bucks. I own one and have had it for about two years, and it rocks. I need to replace mine as well, it's got tons of dents.:cool:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Ifelloffabike
just get a protec
and also......get a protec.

Look, this is a pet peeve of mine. There are these styrofoam coolers that the bike industry wants you to buy for 70 dollars which head 360 degrees when you fall and then you have to buy a new helmet. I've been skateboarding (read: crashing on) and biking, even xc biking with one of these foam padded, protec helmets for years. I fall on it and I still have a helmet. The giro ear warmer sx helmet is just a bigger cooler marketed to look core or something. As long as you don't live in florida or arizona, there's no reason to think you need what lance armstrong wears. If your going dirt jumping, you will occasionally land on something that is not your tires. Your head will probably be one of them......more than once.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
very good points fulton. ive had my protec since i was in the second grade(im 15 now) and its still going strong. ive never replaced a single peice of it.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Originally posted by kidwoo
and also......get a protec.

Look, this is a pet peeve of mine. There are these styrofoam coolers that the bike industry wants you to buy for 70 dollars which head 360 degrees when you fall and then you have to buy a new helmet. I've been skateboarding (read: crashing on) and biking, even xc biking with one of these foam padded, protec helmets for years. I fall on it and I still have a helmet. The giro ear warmer sx helmet is just a bigger cooler marketed to look core or something. As long as you don't live in florida or arizona, there's no reason to think you need what lance armstrong wears. If your going dirt jumping, you will occasionally land on something that is not your tires. Your head will probably be one of them......more than once.
My XC helmet has been crashed on extensively. I probably should have retired it a few years ago. This only reinforces why I should get a skate helmet next. Also, I suppose you can use a skate helmet for skateboarding, too, which would induce even more crashing. I think I will end up ponying up for a protec.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by KonaJosh
Also, I suppose you can use a skate helmet for skateboarding, too,
Whoa there tiger! Don't be puttin crazy words into my mouth. Skateboard helmets are for dirt jumping on bicycles ONLY. That's why they call them skate helmets. So dirt jumpers can look like they skate. Everyone knows skateboarders are waay to cool to really wear helmets.

Yeah, get a protec. It will last forever in almost any activity.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
I've had that happen, as have a bunch of my friends. Just glue the velcro things back to the shell. I think they use crappy glue for those or something. It's not a big deal though, just glue it back in.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
On the flip side, if your helmet is still a helmet after a crash (particularly a hard crash), is it really doing its job? IE, absorbing impact?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Rik
On the flip side, if your helmet is still a helmet after a crash (particularly a hard crash), is it really doing its job? IE, absorbing impact?
If it's styrofoam (the dark grey xc helmet material), you're supposed to replace it after a crash. Of couse every impact is different and usually as long as there are no cracks, I would keep using the ones I had. I used to race road bikes in college and used the same helmet xc riding......until they disintigrated.

The theory goes that with larger impacts, the foam separates and there goes your impact force. The problem lies in that cracks aren't always visible. There are a lot of skate style helmets out there that use the same principle and material though. TSG helmets come to mind. These things add an extra hassle when the styrofoam separates from the hard shell. In my mind they suck worse than regular xc helmets because they're hot AND they can only be hit hard once.

The soft foam that protecs use in reality probably doesn't provide as much skull cracking protection since they don't carry the crash test certification that the styrofoam coolers do (at least they didn't previously, they might these days.) I have only gotten a concussion once wearing one though and that was from falling about 11 feet from the top of a vert ramp right onto my head on the flat bottom(skateboarding). I've also broken an xc helmet in half smacking a tree before and had to ride home with floppy pieces in my camelback. The ONLY time I've ever thrown away a protec is because the cloth straps obtained an uncleanable funk. I just like my helmets to last.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just wanted to chime in and say to make sure that you get a
"protec" name brand. I have had alot of the other clones on and they dont fit the same as protec. Esp the bell it sucks. So just grab a protec and you will be happy. Take a look at the old school protec they are selling now it is one of the most comfy and protective there is out there. later

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by T0mo
I've had that happen, as have a bunch of my friends. Just glue the velcro things back to the shell. I think they use crappy glue for those or something. It's not a big deal though, just glue it back in.

not the velcro ones. The oldschool that has styrofoam inside, not just the padding.

The ones that dont have the styrofoam inside dont really offer that much skull protection. Ive had friends knock themselves out more then once while wearing one. That said i dont use the one with foam in it anymore, but i dont fall on my head. I really only use it for abrasion and lite impact protection.

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
It is to each their own.. I have a pro tec and full faces. As far as racing. Get a full face.. JD- Pro tec.. The only down fall of a protec is that I had a crash in one and I still don't remember the entire accident and I was out( don't remember about 15 min) but this could have happened with any helmet. If I was not wearing one the doctors said I would be a carrot or a radish.. So any helmet is better than no helmet..

I love my pro tec just bought my new one last night..

Originally posted by Dog Welder
Get a Full Face...ask TYM what happened last year at Sea Otter when he raced DS and you'll see why.