Quantcast

Opinions on '12 Specialized SX Trail (please read) So I'm contemplating selling both

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
Okay, I tried this in the XC/All-Mountain forum and nobody has replied, so here goes:

So I'm contemplating selling both my big bike (SC Bullit W/ 66RC2X/Avalanche DHS) and my trail bike (08 RM Slayer SXC 30) and getting something that's a compromise between the two. My Slayer would need a new fork for next year, as the stock Marz 55 is a pile and getting worse by the minute. But a decent fork (Fox Talas) would set me back at least $1000. That bike handles 90% of all the rides I do with ease, but occasionally I go to B.C. and there are a couple trails here that warrant my Bullit. The Bullit is a nice ride but it's getting old and weighs about 42 pounds. Most of the riding I do involves steep 3-4 mile climbs and then bombing back down. I have cleaned one of the steepest local trails on my Bullit, but I wouldn't say it was fun. I'm not into long XC rides anymore, but someday I might return to that with a different style of bike. That said, I'm in great shape and am not afraid of climbing on a 37+ pound bike. Also, I used to be into quite hairball freeride stuff, so I'm not willing to quite abandon a more DH feel in my new bike. I need something that climbs acceptably but can survive being ridden hard and occasionally hucked off 10-15' drops to nice landings. Most trail bikes these days have plenty of travel but they still don't feel nimble at high speeds and nasty terrain.

My Slayer would be perfect if it was a little stiffer and had a slightly slacker head angle. Does the SX trail fit the bill? How does it climb with the stock fork (eventually I'd like to get a Talas for reducing travel on the climbs)? Will it rail nasty terrain like my Bullit? Thanks for any feedback!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
If your requirement is a stiffer/slacker version of your SXC, then no. The SX Trail is closer to your Bullit in travel and climbing ability. That said, it's a sick ride, just not exactly what you're describing (a 6" bike with a ~67 degree head angle).

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
If your requirement is a stiffer/slacker version of your SXC, then no. The SX Trail is closer to your Bullit in travel and climbing ability. That said, it's a sick ride, just not exactly what you're describing (a 6" bike with a ~67 degree head angle).
Agreed. The SX trail is much closer to the bullet.

The SX trail is a great bike. There are some bikes which should feel just as good on the descent and climb better. In addition running an adjustable head sets like the angleset will expand your options.

You should consider the following:

Intense Uzzi or Tracer 2

Yeti SB66

Specy Enduro Evo

Norco Killer B

In the past I've found that running AM bikes like these with coil suspension makes a huge difference. They end up feeling much more like little mini DH rigs than big XC bikes.

Disclaimer: I currently ride a nomad exclusively except at the dirt jumps. It's set up with coil suspension front and rear, burly wheels, DH tires and a -2deg angle set. I ride it on everything including XC grinds, shuttle trips, laps in Pacifica, and lift assisted trails at N*.

My nomad was the right choice in 2008 when I bought it but if I were in the market now I would go with the SB66 or Enduro Evo.

Last edited: