Quantcast

opinions on Fox Float 100RL fork

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
it's being put on my bike right now. My 'Zoke mx comp blew a seal last night and rather than put more money into a fork that probably isn't happy with my weight and riding style I decided to upgrade to one that will hopefully take the abuse. What do you guys think of this fork

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I seldom hear anything bad about Fox Forx...except the weight issue. I nearly bought one myself last week but couldn't quite do it... I ended up with a SID Race to replace my Marzochhi XFly 100.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by dfinn
it's being put on my bike right now. My 'Zoke mx comp blew a seal last night and rather than put more money into a fork that probably isn't happy with my weight and riding style I decided to upgrade to one that will hopefully take the abuse. What do you guys think of this fork
I've been hammering mine and it is still working great.
It even feels better than my old '99 z-1 bam.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I have the 100rlc. It came on a bike I bought recently. I think it needs new oil and I suspect it has had heavier than normal oil added as well. It's nice and stiff, but feels dead no matter the adjustment. I want to see how it goes after a rebuild.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
i'm no weight weenie but what's the wieght issue? It seemed much lighter than a couple of the other shocks I picked up in the shop. I think it's 3.7lbs, is that considered heavy?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
i'm no weight weenie but what's the wieght issue? It seemed much lighter than a couple of the other shocks I picked up in the shop. I think it's 3.7lbs, is that considered heavy?
The weight you mention is correct at 1690 grams, so too me that is heavy - my X-Fly 100 weighs 3.67 LBS and I think it feels heavy.

The 2000 SID weighed an actual 2.66 LBS with 63mm of travel.

My 2002 SID SL weighs exactly 3 LBS.

A 2003 Manitou Black 80/100 weighs 3.97 LBS

A 2003 Marzocchi Marathon 105 S weighs 4.4 LBS

Anyhow it is all relative - if you need 100mm for XC you have to pay a weight penalty.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Serial Midget
The weight you mention is correct at 1690 grams, so too me that is heavy - my X-Fly 100 weighs 3.67 LBS and I think it feels heavy.

The 2000 SID weighed an actual 2.66 LBS with 63mm of travel.

My 2002 SID SL weighs exactly 3 LBS.

A 2003 Manitou Black 80/100 weighs 3.97 LBS

A 2003 Marzocchi Marathon 105 S weighs 4.4 LBS

Anyhow it is all relative - if you need 100mm for XC you have to pay a weight penalty.
PFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT! At least we're not paying a performance penalty. :eek:

:p

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by spincrazy
PFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT! At least we're not paying a performance penalty. :eek:

:p
It all about intended use - If I felt I actually needed 100mm of travel on my XC bike then I would choose a fork for that application. Just about everyone I know who likes a SID still has one, those that didn't like theirs have moved on. Just as it should be - with the huge variety of forks available there really is something for everyone.

Anyhow dfinn - how much did you have to pop for your fork?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
$570. I think that's a fair price but I'm not positive because I couldn't find any sites carrying that exact fork.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I was ignorant to this, FYI for you:

The 125 and the 100 are the same forks with different stickers. Mine, I just learned, was changed out to 125. I'm trying other springs (soft) as soon as I get them from the original owner. Hopefully this will kill the dead feeling.

What you spent seems a little high, but they aren't cheap forks for sure.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
$570. I think that's a fair price but I'm not positive because I couldn't find any sites carrying that exact fork.
My shop quoted me $540.00 + shipping + COD charges. No one they normally dealt with stocked FOX Forx... FOX would have have shipped 2nd day and my price would have been a little over $600.00 with shipping and sales tax. I strongly considered this option - many people suggested it and it was within my $600.00 limit - but in the end I am a weight weenie and I already have a Marzochhi 100mm fork and a 2002 SID on other bikes... I really like the SID for the riding I do and my current project is to get my hardtail under 24 LBS while retaining my 7" Avid Mechs.

Anyhow - the guy I know who has one really likes it.

fldunit

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
I love my fox float and the technical help is awesome. The Fox is light enough for all but the top-end racers and coil-spring plush, what else could you want? If you want a stiff, plush, long travel dependable fork and want to shave a little weight, pick the float. And weight, let me see, take some tools out of my bag, run smaller tires, lose the camelback, get rid of the cannondale boots, ride every day to lose some lbs...and presto...weight weenie

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Deyv
I have that fork and I love it, It's stiff and plush and reasonably light for non racing XC.
With all the rocks and roots we have around here I would not want to race on any other fork. The quality, performance and reliability of the fork outshine any weight disadvantages.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
"And weight, let me see, take some tools out of my bag, run smaller tires, lose the camelback, get rid of the cannondale boots, ride every day to lose some lbs...and presto...weight weenie"

i hate when people use this argument to justify having heavier parts. Simply because you can do all those things AND have the lighter parts on your bike. Pretty much nomatter how you slice it you will still be lugging around almost a pound more fork then you could be. Not to say that you have to have a lighter bike, just that you shouldnt use that BS argument. I cant tell you how frustrated i was getting last year when i posted a topic about trying to lighten my bike and what parts would probably do it and i got a flurry of "HEY TRY AND LOSE SOME WEIGHT OFF YOUR BODY INSTEAD OF YOUR BIKE" comments, meanwhile im 6'+ guy who weighs around 150 or 160 and there is not much room to lose any weight. Hell the only way im going to get faster is if i put on weight in the form of more muscles.

and fyi the float is an air fork not a coil

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by Ifelloffabike
i hate when people use this argument to justify having heavier parts. Simply because rant rant rant rant....
Well, he who uses "i" instead of "I", the fact is most people don't even think about what else they can do to reduce weight...why? Because the whole "weight" issue is the hot topic that people use to say why this part or that part is better and justify its higher price. The average weekend-warrior XC'er is usually not a racer (nor are most of the people on this site) and usually has to consider price quite a bit when it comes to components. I think a lot of people see the price of a component and assume that since it's so much higher than another line that it must perform so much better...and probably don't realize that usually the only thing they're gaining with the higher price is a lighter component. So, I think it's good that some more experienced people can help put it in perspective and let people know "Hey, you'll get the same performance from part B for a lot less money, but it weighs more. However, if you're not racing, the odds are likely that weight savings can come from somewhere else and save you some cash."
I appreciate that people let me know that.
I am no weight weenie at all, I just want my stuff to work well. So when I was advised that the Fox Vanilla Forx perform just as well as the Float (if not a little better), weigh about .5-.75 of a pound more and cost about a 1/3 less, that was just fine with me.

For a lot of people that's not a "BS argument", it's good advice.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I pay attention to weight and take it into consideration with every purchase. I liked my Giant ATX and built it with sturdy bits and porky tires... it weighed in at 35 LBS and was perfectly fine for 2 or 3 hour rides a couple of days each week, but it was far too heavy for all day epics. I had a bitch of a time keeping up with my weight weenie friends on the climbs. After I broke the frame I built my current hardtail at 27 LBS but retained the same wheels and most of the components, the excess weight was shed by lack of rear suspension and new tires/tubes. The 7lbs made a huge difference in my speed and climbing ability. On our typical 12 mile XC (non-technical) loop it saved me nearly 10 minutes. Trying to shave another 3 LBS will probably cut more time.

So... while 12.8oz may not seem like much it is significant to me.

Coming from a roadie background - all my gear is a compromise between weight, cost and performance.

fldunit

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
I hate when people use this argument to justify having heavier parts.
and fyi the float is an air fork not a coil
Dude, relax...with an attitude like that we can all see that you are frustrated. And by the way, I know the float is an air fork, but it is as plush as many coil spring forks yet lighter which I would think might make you happier...guess not.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by KrusteeButt

For a lot of people that's not a "BS argument", it's good advice.
Its still a "BS argument" simply because cutting weight in other places besides your bike and cutting weight off your bike arnt mutually exclusive to each other, you can do both. If you feel you have the expendable money to purchase lighter parts then why not.