Quantcast

Organizing a race.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Okay, I have decided for my senior project next year, I am going to organize an XC race here in chico, because we seem to have a severe lack of racing up here.

I just want to know what I am going to have to do to get this going.

Insurance?
Sponsers?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Hey CD01--

I used to put on a race for Make-A-Wish out here in Virginia City, NV, as a fund raiser. Make sure you let the potential sponsors know that it's for a senior project(may I ask if it's college or high school?), as it may be late in their sponsor year and their budget might be shot. Don't be afraid to asked for blems, last year's items, or whatever. It may make it easier to get support from them. Insurance? Check with NCNCA and NORBA, though I'd lean towards NCNCA first. Better rates, I believe. Give the sponsors a range of support ($100, $250, $500, and $1000 is what I would ask for), and if someone does kick in large, offer them title sponsorship and put that in your flier (Chico mtb event brought to you by XYZ Co.). Let them know what they'll get in return (listing on flier, display of banner if supplied, placement on t's/jerseys if made, etc). If you know anyone in the art department, ask them to help with the fliers/clothing. I did at the local high school, and some work was good, some was phooey. Make sure, too, that you check on where the course runs, and if you need special permission (land owner, BLM, forestry) and get the proper permits. Would also help if you have a location for the start/finish, awards, food. I don't know if you want to make money, but another thing to help with sponsors is to let them know you're doing it for a non-profit group. My first race was organized in 4 months, and I still received about $6000 worth of prizes. Don't look past the local community for prizes/support either. My last 2 races had vacation packages(just the rooms, really) at 10 different resorts. I know that's a lot for right now, but if you have any questions, email me at mantispf2000@yahoo.com and I'll try to help you out.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Awsome, Just AWSOME! :thumb:

It's a senior project for highschool, and i have a while (9-10 months) to do it.

No money is wanting to be made here, I just want to put on a race in an area that has none.

I will definatly hit you up on email when I get deeper into this.