Quantcast

Other Bozeman/Bigsky area DH trails

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
just moved into Bozeman for school, ik that Bigsky has some lift access trails and i have been told about Leverich. i have not had a chance yet to check either of them out yet but was wondering what other trails are in the area. i have hiked sypes canyon a few time and while it looks fun i prefer not to ride my long travel bike on stuff that has tons of hikers on it.are there any less hiked trails that would be good to check out?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Man, Big Sky used to be really good for DH riding, but they changed up the lifts for some reason and now that place sucks. We used to go there a few times a summer. Now we don't go anymore.

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
Man, Big Sky used to be really good for DH riding, but they changed up the lifts for some reason and now that place sucks. We used to go there a few times a summer. Now we don't go anymore.
Did you get up there at all this summer? It's not quite as good as the old side of the mountain, but they made a *lot* of improvements this year. It's getting pretty good up there again. If they put the same amount of work into it in 2011 that they did in 2010, it'll be better than it ever was when they were running the gondola.

There are a ton of great trails around Bozeman, but few of them are good on a long travel bike. I ride my ReignX (6.7") almost all of the time. Once the snow melts (June-ish), check out:
- Leverich (which you already mentioned, but I love this trail)
- Truman Gulch
- Middle Cottonwood
- Brackett Creek (also known as Grassy Mountain by some)
- History Rock
- Langhor to S. Cottonwood (you'll want to shuttle this one)
- Shafthouse

All of those can be a ton of fun on today's AM bikes. I take my long travel bike out on Leverich and Truman every once in a while, but usually only when I'm trying to get it dialed for a trip to B.C. Otherwise, the long travel bike is only ridden at Big Sky around here.

If you want to ride, or want someone to show you any of these trails, send me a PM and we'll meet up this spring.

--Ben

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
One of my riding bros went out to Big Sky this summer and wasn't into it at all. He said the trails were good, but way too damn short compared to how they used to be. It's a 5 hour drive for us from where we live. I highly doubt any of us will be going out that way again unless the old side gets going again. Also, I sold my DH bike this summer. Didn't ride it much anymore. Now i'm just rocking a 29er FS bike. I'll get another DH bike sometime, but it won't be anytime soon. I'm having a kid in Feb, so that's going to take a lot of free time and $$. By the time i'm ready for another DH bike, i'll probably get a 29er DH bike.

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
well i have been able to ride a few of those trails in the 3 months I've been here. was at the DJs in town nearly every day till the snow came, Leverich can be fun but gets old real quick, other then a longer hike up Emerald Lake was a fun tail, and Bracket Creek is a great trail too. I still need to check out more trails and get to Big Sky (how is Mount Blackmore?) but i would agree that an All Mtn. rig would be best suited for riding around here, at least from what i have seen and have been told.