Quantcast

outboard bearing middleburns???

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I too am curious about this, but have not seen any substantial info.

I asked jvnixon if he saw anything at Interbike concerning this, but he didn't make any mention of them... Nix - do you have any more info on this?

I would be REALLY intereted to see what the deal is - esp. if they are making them w/ an 83mm spindle in a 165mm length...:biggrin:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Nope I got little/nothing about that.

I asked @ interbike but the guys that had their stuff (Rotec Booth) said that all the information/parts they had were on display and I didn't see them :clue:

I wanted to see them just as badly... I'm running XT's anyway next year so meh

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Roteccycles USA is now a distributor for Middleburn here in the states. At present the outboard system is still a go but with no solid release date as of yet.

As soon as I here different I'll post it. If anyone needs more middleburn info please pm me

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The trouble with Middleburn is that bike bits are a secondary business for them. I don't doubt that they've had designs kicking around for a while now, but so much of their stuff just never makes it to production due to the company having other priorities. Their customer service has always been great, but there's only so much you can do without actually manufactuirng product...

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
The trouble with Middleburn is that bike bits are a secondary business for them. I don't doubt that they've had designs kicking around for a while now, but so much of their stuff just never makes it to production due to the company having other priorities. Their customer service has always been great, but there's only so much you can do without actually manufactuirng product...
The company has been split in two and the bike part is completely seperate to the engneering side(different owners) and is in a different location now also has been the case for the last few months. They have just invested heavily in new machinery also. And they are working their arses off to get the new cranks out - but they aren't going to release them until they are perfect.
They have a new hubset to be released in the coming months that is very trick.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Why do you keep posting about the 83mm XTs?

That was a rumor from long ago that seems to have been completely shot down by several people that have attended bike shows in several countries. Anyone who has talked to shimano and posted here has said "NO 83mm XT. I would like to see them as well, but that is not going to make them appear.

I certainly do not know for sure, but it seem as if the OVERWHELMING answer is no. Just seems like you are planing on, and holding your breath, for something that is not going to be made (as well as perpetuation the rumor).

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
for those of you that want isis crank arms with x-type bb, Echo makes a pretty sweet setup. ISIS spline, x-type BB. 68mm shell only though... however it's a 128 spindle, and I've seen a few people with 73mm shells face the shell down enough to run the bb no problem.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
ok, dumb question, but for those that want to do it, could you press out a saint or hone axle and use it on the xts?
As I recall, Cedric Gracia had Shimano cranks with a custom pressed spindle length for the 2004 Red Bull Rampage on his Gemini...

From what I remember it was done by a pro mechanic working for Shimano, so the process of tapping out and pressing in a new spindle sounds a bit tricky.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
it was done by a pro mechanic working for Shimano
Ahhh...... so he used a bit a wood and a real big hammer, full pro mechanic style.

I think it wouldnt be too hard if you had a hydraulic press and really, really, really wanted 83mm xts.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, if you could figure out how to do it weight weenies across the globe would love you.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
As I recall, Cedric Gracia had Shimano cranks with a custom pressed spindle length for the 2004 Red Bull Rampage on his Gemini...

From what I remember it was done by a pro mechanic working for Shimano, so the process of tapping out and pressing in a new spindle sounds a bit tricky.
the spindle is cryofit pressed in. unless you do it durring the manufacturing, it's not really possible to put a saint axle in xt's.