Quantcast

Overdrive 2 and Standard Taper Fork

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Can someone confirm that you can infact put a standard tapered fork in a OD2 frame? Do you just use a standard, tapered, zero stack internal headset? Im looking to get back into the swing of things, and I need a frame to get started on my builds. I am seeing a lot of giants in my price range.

I found something on PB that states:
. This means that not only can all of Giant's bikes that come equipped with the OverDrive 2 system be easily converted to fit a standard tapered fork and stem

Although it does not go on to further elaborate what needs to be done to put a standard tapered fork in an OD2 equipped frame. I would also like someone here to confirm that this is possible before I buy a giant frame and realized im screwed into buying a 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 tapered fork.

thank you in advance. I am also open to other frame suggestions (with the exception of treks), ive been looking on PB and the net.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Yes, you can.

The frames themselves are normal tapered headtubes.
It was the headset that made the further reduction and the forks were built with the different taper. Only Fox were providing these.

Giant got rid of it in recent years, so they are back to normal tapered steering tubes on the forks.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Yes, you can.

The frames themselves are normal tapered headtubes.
It was the headset that made the further reduction and the forks were built with the different taper. Only Fox were providing these.

Giant got rid of it in recent years, so they are back to normal tapered steering tubes on the forks.
excellent. thank you! I searched and most of what I saw was a guy trying to put a 1-1/4 tapered fork in standard tapered ht models.

thanks again, now to find a frame and pull the trigger!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Y u not get nice new tapered fork and sell me old straight steerer fork?!? :mad:
I already have a tapered fork. I just wanted to confirm that if I did pick up a giant frame, I wouldn't be screwed into buying weird, non standard, tapered fork and stem.

check PB buysell. im sure they have plenty of str8 streerered forks!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Last time I looked, I had a hard time finding straight steerer used forks... YMMV

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
What are you looking for, @SkaredShtles ? I just bought a new Fox 36 CSU with a straight steerer for 100$ on ebay. Now the last part of my original 2006 36 will retire.:dirol:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
well, i know no one cares, but heres what I ended up with:

too good of deal not to pass up. reach is a little short, but I should be able to manage. I got the bundle dealio. if anyone wants a 125mm reverb for cheap, let a brotha know. I am probably the only one in the history of ever who isn't into droppers.

@SkaredShtles check ebay and the PB buysell, often. sometimes new old stock stuff pops up (for your long steerer issue). you will find straight steerer forks on both sites, although the massive length may be an issue. what fork are you looking for, specifically?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
@SkaredShtles check ebay and the PB buysell, often. sometimes new old stock stuff pops up (for your long steerer issue). you will find straight steerer forks on both sites, although the massive length may be an issue. what fork are you looking for, specifically?
Heh. I'm getting pretty close to the IDGAF stage. Although I think I'm going to leverage this fork issue into a new bike. :brows:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
new bikes are always good as well. I kept an eye out for a str8 steerered XF vengeance for my buddy a couple of years ago and found the HLR model on ebay for 200ish, just gotta keep looking!