Quantcast

Owww stiff

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
So i rode the otherday and my ankles and lower legs (below my calves) stiffened up and are really sore. I have been stretching them and massaging them but tonight i went for a short ride in the skate park and now i can hardly walk. I just finished with the ice. Any ideas what i may have done or how to recover fast!

Originally posted by Motionboy2
So i rode the otherday and my ankles and lower legs (below my calves) stiffened up and are really sore. I have been stretching them and massaging them but tonight i went for a short ride in the skate park and now i can hardly walk. I just finished with the ice. Any ideas what i may have done or how to recover fast!
after the first 24 hours (ice) continue with heat and stretching. if you tore muscles, it can take awhile to heal.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
TORE!! I hope i didn't do anything that bad! I don't get it i didn't fall hard, I didn't twist them that i remember. Just a bunch of small drops and a little skatepark session. They don't feel bad when i get on the bike and loosen them up, but afterword... i can hardly move.

Thanks for the help!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The torn muscle in the calf put me on the shelf for a good four months. I thought I broke my leg, it hurt that much.

Hope you feel better, motionboy. If you're just sore, give your legs plenty of ice and rest. If there is any question of a tear or break, go see your doc. Get better!! :monkey:

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I don't think that anything is torn because it doesn't hurt nearly that much. Plus when i ride it just feels weak, it doesn't hurt. It just gets stiff VERY STIFF. Just plain wierd. Iceing is helping!!

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Icing after workouts and during the day will help immensely. When stretching, be careful not to overstretch and don't stretch right after icing. Get a board large enough to stand on, prop one end up with a book and then stand on the board facing "uphill." Go small at first with the book thickness, and over the next few days, increase the slope grade. About 5 minutes should be enough at first. If you start to hurt, step off and reduce the slope grade of the board. Immediately before you get on the board, warm your calves and ankles / achilles / heels up with a tepid bath or warm moist towels for 5 minutes. Take it easy for a while till you are pain free. If you aren't allergic to NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) go ahead and use them as directed.

Sorry to hear you're hurting. Good luck.

Edit> Don't do any other calf stretches other than the board at first. Many of the calf stretches put undo stress on the achilles. The board stretch is one of the safest for an irritated achilles. Also, consult your physician if you continue to have problems.

mario

Chimp
May 14, 2002
Denver, CO
NSAIDS = aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.

MB: I hope you heal quickly. Definitely take it easy for a while. Also think about cross training a little (start with walking, work up to jogging; weights; etc.). Since you are in Boulder, a little trail running might be good - eventually - to strengthen your calves and ankles.