Quantcast

PA results

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Submitted my upgrade request today

The pro's were way faster than the Semi Slows!

Everyone give Ride a punch in the shoulder when they see him for almost not racing cause his fork was too stiff.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Wow Grubbs, great shot. You really stepped it up.

Any chance you want to dish out some other tidbits? I would love to see some DH clips.

Dontpush

Chimp
Dec 18, 2004
These times aint coo. im slow....but not that slow. someone needs to get on the horn and announce the bs.

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
Five said:
Nice vid G.
Who did you get to do the helmet cam action?
Barret rode h-cam a bit during the 4X practice. I had plans for some other folks to do some, but by that time the racing had started. I'll bust it out earlier next time.

No h-cam on the DH, way to muddy and I was on the hill all day.

I'm waiting on something to render, to get someting else up. I havent gone through the DH video yet. (2hrs of raw footage).

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
with quick time you can go through frame by frame. makes it look even more painful.

It looks like ehtan in front and to the right of ben into the jump, but he was on the outside of the corner. When he gets air it looks like it throws hm over in front of ben, just about to land on bryn. You can see Ethan coming off the bike in the air with ben just behind and to his left with little room to do anything. As ethan went down ben was right there skidding into a collision. (didnt have time to grab more, but hit pause and then arrow keys and you can see...)

made this from the film...

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
oly said:
with quick time you can go through frame by frame. makes it look even more painful.

It looks like ehtan in front and to the right of ben into the jump, but he was on the outside of the corner. When he gets air it looks like it throws hm over in front of ben, just about to land on bryn. You can see Ethan coming off the bike in the air with ben just behind and to his left with little room to do anything. As ethan went down ben was right there skidding into a collision. (didnt have time to grab more, but hit pause and then arrow keys and you can see...)

made this from the film...

Mystery solved! That Even Mutari guys sucks! :love:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Dontpush said:
These times aint coo. im slow....but not that slow. someone needs to get on the horn and announce the bs.
Hey grasshopper, where do you get off saying that the times are wrong? I'm sure these people are professionals and would have to try pretty hard to screw the times up. :rolleyes: I'm sorry you're having a hard time accepting just how slow you are. :sneaky:

I'm surprised no one else has commented on this. You really think the pros are that much faster than the experts? More likely that they made sure that the pros got the correct times (because there'd be hell to pay if they weren't right), and then just cut their losses with the other times (basically sorted them out as best as they could). Too bad that they didn't do it right. Is timing a DH race really that difficult??

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
erikkellison said:
I'm sure these people are professionals and would have to try pretty hard to screw the times up.
No they are just people trying to put on a fun event for people to do. As with any time you use volunteers, somethimes you get what you pay for. There were some major mistakes made that weren't caught until it was too late.

erikkellison said:
You really think the pros are that much faster than the experts?
In some cases yes!!! Unless you sandbag like TT......

erikkellison said:
...made sure that the pros got the correct times... and then just cut their losses with the other times (basically sorted them out as best as they could).
I talked to JM last night as I'm sure quite a few other people did and he is going to look at the times and the notes from the starters and try to fix the times that are obviously wrong.
One thing to keep in mind is that with a few exceptions, the time differentials within a class are accurate, but the actaul elapsed times are not. This means if you got 4th in your class, you got 4th. I (and JM) understand that it sucks not to be able to compare your times to others, but he is truly sorry about that.

erikkellison said:
Is timing a DH race really that difficult??
You don't even know. But if someone had some ideas for a better way of doing it a lot of people would be interested in hearing it. :thumb:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
erikkellison said:
Hey grasshopper, where do you get off saying that the times are wrong? I'm sure these people are professionals and would have to try pretty hard to screw the times up. :rolleyes: I'm sorry you're having a hard time accepting just how slow you are. :sneaky:

I'm surprised no one else has commented on this. You really think the pros are that much faster than the experts? More likely that they made sure that the pros got the correct times (because there'd be hell to pay if they weren't right), and then just cut their losses with the other times (basically sorted them out as best as they could). Too bad that they didn't do it right. Is timing a DH race really that difficult??
Dude you need to step back with your smart a** comments :nuts: Do you have any idea what it takes to put on a race? Do you have any idea how to do timing for a DH race?

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
bibs said:
Congrats thats cool!

Its cause their watching you...Did trhey say "We have been expecting you Mr.Tuttle."???:D
That's frickin' hilarious! I think USA Cycling already had Nicks upgrade app filled out and they were just waiting for a signature from him or something?

Congrats Semi! :thumb:

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Thanks!

I was mainly waiting for a certain Semi to move to pro though. Yeah the one who schooled everybody at Beacon this year.

holliswood said:
That's frickin' hilarious! I think USA Cycling already had Nicks upgrade app filled out and they were just waiting for a signature from him or something?

Congrats Semi! :thumb:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Snacks said:
Dude you need to step back with your smart a** comments :nuts: Do you have any idea what it takes to put on a race? Do you have any idea how to do timing for a DH race?
Summer, Donna.
Dontpush is my main man, it's good to finally see him post. He was the one that brought the timing problems to my attention, and while I have little idea how to put on a DH race, I'm pretty sure that the timing is similar to that of ski racing, which I've never seen screwed up. I guess I was lucky :) It's a shame that it costs so much to do the timing correctly. I have no quick and easy solution, sorry. I'm just sorry for all the racers out there that timing isn't something you can count on to always be accurate in PNW DH racing.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
erikkellison said:
Summer, Donna.
????

As far as ski racing, I am pretty sure they have timing equipment ($$$$) that they are able to use multiple times a year, for multiple years.
That type of equipment is pretty spendy for a guy putting on one race a year.
When Amy and I put on the races we considered buying Randy Bactels timing equipment (CPR series) but it would have set us back $5,000. If we wanted to buy Atomic's timing equipment (WIM) it would have cost us $10,000. That would have included the motorhome too though?
As far as hiring a timing company, ala WIM, I believe the cost would start around $2,500 a day. It goes up depending on number of participants.
Now, hand timing works but you have to make some mistakes and learn a few things first. Unfortuneatly JM had to learn most those things as the first run was going off?