Quantcast

Pacific is screwing GT/Schwinn race squads

JimmyPistons

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
SEATTLE, WA
It truly does suck that after all teh hard work that those riders put into kickin some but they got shafted by the new managment,
sounds like a job I had once.

Jan 14, 2002
Zwolle, the Netherlands
Steve Peat will be on a personal sponsorship for 2002 with an Orange 222 bike.
and Brian Lopen will continu his personal sponsorship with GT for 2002 as he will only does dual/4X does needing ony an hard tail and an "low budget" FS

R

Rocket

You don't gotta tell me... I have 3 high end homegrowns, a rocket 88 and a phantom (and 2 old school predators). This buy out blows! I still love my bikes but like many of the GT owners here it Stings a little.

G

Gutty

Originally posted by JimmyPistons
It truly does suck that after all teh hard work that those riders put into kickin some but they got shafted by the new managment,
sounds like a job I had once.
Ummm....shafted by OLD managment no:confused: :confused:

Originally posted by Gutty

Are you serious :confused: "They're gonna ruin a great company" Have a think about what you say before you shoot your mouth off. Pacific didn't ruin Schwinn/GT. Schwinn/GT was already ruined,dead,broke,bust......need i go on ???

They may have had financial troubles, but they still had a great reputation for quality bikes. What everyone is saying is that Pacific is going to ruin the name by putting out crap with the Schwinn or GT name on it.

R

Rocket

We are/were a dealer for schwinn... I am pretty sure that the deal is like this: Schwinn will be taken into the department stores and they will also try to keep their dealer network moving the bikes as well. It is still up in the air as to GT. There is some speculation that they will try to keep the GT name for their high end market. But most likely they have learned from their mongoose failure and will pack them both in the 12-pack express. (12-pack express is our local way of making fun of the guys riding the pink huffies and soon to be schwinns that have obviously lost their license due to drunk driving... usually they are riding a girls bike)

Jan 27, 2002
San Antonio, TX
We can all write in to Pacific, jump up and down, scream and yell, but guess what? They don't give a $#!+..... We aren't in their market segment because we don't shop for bikes at Sam's Club (yes, they are already there!). The folks that do buy bikes at Sam's couldn't care less about some guy not getting paid tens of thousands of dollars for racing a bike because they haven't a clue what it took to EARN the cash. Pacific is in the business of selling bikes and they are pretty good at it. They know their market and make decisions accordingly. It sucks, but that's the reality of it. The people that I blame are the managers at GT/Schwinn that allowed the company to go bust. I think one of the big problems in the MTB industry today is that there are too many people running companies that have little to no business sense.
Enough business to keep the bills paid mixed with enough passion to keep it fresh is what it takes. There are some out there.......

Off my soapbox now, pardon my rant.:mad:

G

Gutty

O.k everyone who has read this yhread knows my feelings so i wont ramble again but i do think you should all read this.

Taken from an interview with Leigh Donovan in Freewheel magazine. It would seem that if anyone is to blame it's the legal system.

Attachments

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
I still remember the first bike i bought coz i wanted to bike... it was a wal-mart mongoose full suspension bike. I'd heard of mongoose before and knew they were a great brand, and figured it was just my luck that they were sellin their bikes cheap.

Get the word out to kids- let them know what they're buying. Heck, it wasn't until 5 months later that i saw the brunswick sticker on the bottom of the BB shell. :D

freightGOD

Monkey
Jan 26, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Originally posted by RideMonkey
Time to show Pacific the power of the Internet. Spread the word. As RM grows, more and more people will see this thread. Maybe one day we can force them to pay these racers what they are owed!!

AND DONT JUST LOOK AT THIS THREAD, SAY A WORD OR TWO ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!
I really hate to see this happening. Schwinn was my first bike, and I have very fond memories of that bike. I think the racers should be paid what they earned while basically promoting the brand in National/International competition. This sucks in a major way. Pacific will NEVER be able to count me a one of their customers, that's a fact!

M

MuDHoG

interview in this months MTBAction seems to have found lopez not to soured and moving on, haven't heard much about the rest of the team though.

M

MuDHoG

Originally posted by edoz

They may have had financial troubles, but they still had a great reputation for quality bikes. What everyone is saying is that Pacific is going to ruin the name by putting out crap with the Schwinn or GT name on it.
have to agree dude always a great bike and a great rep.....from what I hear GT is going to become a walmart, costco bike, Pacific plans to slash quality and price for quantity and volume, it's a sad sight. Norco and schwinn and mongoose have been there before though and seem to have bounced back.

Feb 15, 2002
on screen
It seems there nothing can can be done to make pacific accountable to the squads. They ARE gonna decrease into the quality of both the brands, in favor of moving more units. Even though they were not contractually obligated to pay-off the teams, they should have reached some "middle-ground" to keep whats left of the brands they bought in good graces. I for one will never buy a GT, again, or a schwinn ever....even though some great bikes are now on fire sales in the 'zines. But I will write a scathing letter to Sams Club or whoever sells the bikes, and inform them of the level of integrity of their vendor.......thats where you influence, not at the corporate level, but at the point of sale. Retail outlets hate having people pissed at them.......Also, a great place to start would be to suggest an article to the 'zines on the "before" and "after" ....compare the quality, of the two bike lines under the two regimes............A parent is not gonna stand for a kid bitch'in about owning a GT, when its not cool anymore......worse workmanship equals greater safety hazards........ah you guys get the gist.:o:

Vasili

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Montreal
Once again "convergence" raise its ugly head!

Think what Mongoose use to represent, now change the name and replace it with GT!