Quantcast

PacNW Monkeys in WA

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Posted here for maximum visibility and dentist attraction:

Any WA monkeys going to be riding Tiger Mtn 14-15, levenworth area 17-18 or Bellingham 19-20 or close to those dates that'd be able to show me some gnar? Usually up for 4-6hrs and big climbs/descents but open to anything. Bringing AM bike. PM me. Leland can attest that I can deal with oxygen deprivation and that I like beer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If the riding is in between Yakima and Leavenworth, it's a possibility.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And would like some must-ride suggestions (I have some ideas, but the more the merrier, especially in the interior).

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Have you done kachess ridge yet? If not, it's a super fun/ beautiful sub-alpiney ride on your way over I-90.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
And would like some must-ride suggestions (I have some ideas, but the more the merrier, especially in the interior).
I heard @kidwoo loves the "Credit Line" trail in Squamish, you should go ride that one. Definitely bring a DH bike for it.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
If classic epic singletrack is what your chasing, the Mission RIdge/Devils Gulch loop will satisfy your needs. Its not Leavenworth, but close. It starts outside of Cashmere.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Epic in my terms would be definitive of an area, minimum 20 miles/1500ft of climbing, but it's a loose thing that has more to do with the level of stoke felt during and after the ride.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I would second Kachess ridge, I have riden it dozens of times and used to run an annual 50K there - the epic views are amazing, you can see the 3 Sisters on a clear day.
Middle Fork vs. Katchess (or anything else in I-90 corridor)?

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Kachess! Are you crazy?

I guess if you like this:

Be prepared for a lot of dismounting even in the best of conditions due to numerous punchy little climbs

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, I am kind of crazy and I don't mind climbing up lung-busting stuff. For example, the master link at Tiger was not lung-busting, it's a damn stroll through the park, but people were pushing crab-on DH bikes up it for some reason. Now if it's like impassable or there's no good downhill...

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Yeah, I am kind of crazy and I don't mind climbing up lung-busting stuff. For example, the master link at Tiger was not lung-busting, it's a damn stroll through the park, but people were pushing crab-on DH bikes up it for some reason. Now if it's like impassable or there's no good downhill...
Not that kachess doesn't have its lung busting qualities.... Apparently some just OAB the trail. I was trying to highlight the fact that MF snoqualmie more of an up/down up/down river trail than a sustained climb and DH like Kachess. Pretty sure kachess is something like 1000 feet more climbing as well.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Middle Fork vs. Katchess (or anything else in I-90 corridor)?
I never hit middle fork, I lived on the coast, 50 miles west of the Capital Forest which was my go too weekly ride, anything off 1-90 had to be worth the drive... I had a buddy who had a cabin at one of the small reservoirs below the Kachess tailhead. We'd drive up Friday, hit the trail on Saturday and drive back Sunday. For me its an awesome trail and, unless there is some sort of event, fellow riders are well spaced.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It was. It damaged friendships.

Climbing the fire road avoids most of the uphill sand. Not much of a f
Just don't pedal up, whatever you do. Unless you like endless climbing in sand.

I rode up the fire-road on the recommendation of a co-worker. As far as fire-roads go it was a rather nice way of executing a big fucking climb. Offers a lot more scenery than going up the Gulch. Mission ridge is loose and sandy, I suspect that each week it will get worse as Motos will continue to tear things up while it is so dry.

Kachess is more technical and has more potential for fun. However you can rarely see more than ten yards or so up the trail. You either have to blindly commit to a line and hope for the best or go slow. I opted for slow, I don't like going slow, should be a lot more fun with more trail knowledge. The climb up Kachess is a steep loose ball buster.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Kachess is more technical and has more potential for fun. However you can rarely see more than ten yards or so up the trail. You either have to blindly commit to a line and hope for the best or go slow. I opted for slow, I don't like going slow, should be a lot more fun with more trail knowledge. The climb up Kachess is a steep loose ball buster.
The guy I used to ride that trail with used a rigid Bridgestone and I rode my Y-22, every inch of that trail was slow for us. :)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Quick question, Capital Forest or trails just outside of Port Angeles?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, Capitol Forest was so so, I may have been tired or it was just fucking hot like breathing concrete, I went up lemmewinks or wikileaks trail or something and crestline to green line. Was going to try the Little Larch but was tired from the day before at Tiger and Duthie.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nice, I was gonna say... If your down around Olympia, head Mt. St. Helens way and ride the Lewis River trail. And Ape Canyon Trail.
That's on the list for another trip.

The 4000' up to the top of Devils Gulch today was the easiest 4K I've ever climbed. Nice payoff. Started early so it was cool and relied on evaporative cooling on the way down :). Just before the trailhead was sketch tho, like 20 loose dogs of all sizes just lying on the road, f-ing weird. I was going to shoot a video and sent it to animal control if it was the same on the way back.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's on the list for another trip.

The 4000' up to the top of Devils Gulch today was the easiest 4K I've ever climbed. Nice payoff. Started early so it was cool and relied on evaporative cooling on the way down :). Just before the trailhead was sketch tho, like 20 loose dogs of all sizes just lying on the road, f-ing weird. I was going to shoot a video and sent it to animal control if it was the same on the way back.

I saw the dog thing a few weeks ago. Nearby yards were full of junked trailers and cars. Most likely a hoarder. They all seemed the same young age. Most likely a few spring litters. They at least seemed well fed.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The sketchy hoarder place was there when I rode the DG loop 7 years ago. I think the road was washed out then too. Unlike Jm, I climbed the road on no dinner or breakfast and 4 hrs of sleep. I ran out of food and water on the climb and bonked at the top. On the way down I was basically cougar bait and ended up riding 2 miles out on my rear rim because I had flatted and needed to keep moving.

I really need to ride that some time....
Hey Pete!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
7 years ago we were all cougar bait.

You definitely got to keep alert on the lower descent, so many places to commit suicide off the trail.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Yeah that exposure off to the river side is a no joke! Are you saying you actually saw a cougar up there 7 years ago?